The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What driving style uses the least fuel?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What driving style uses the least fuel?
« on: 24/07/2013 13:30:01 »
Ernest asked the Naked Scientists:

There are lots of opinions out here about car fuel consumption, some people say when you change gears frequently, it consumes much fuel than when you are driving on a highway using the same gear.

What's the best way to drive?

Regards
Ernest

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 24/07/2013 13:30:01 by _system »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What driving style uses the least fuel?
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2013 17:26:20 »
The best way to conserve fuel is to drive as un-competitively as possible, not to worry when people whiz past you and cut you up, don't worry about maintaining a set average speed reconcile yourself to what ever journey time the traffic conditions dictate.

PS I plan to adopt this method when I get old !
« Last Edit: 25/07/2013 19:18:46 by syhprum »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #2 on: 25/07/2013 22:06:09 »
There are lots of opinions out here about car fuel consumption...

By keeping your car's engine as close its best brake specific fuel consumption wherever appropriate (constant speed or acceleration).

Pulse and Glide is also popular with 'fuel sippers'.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/07/2013 07:43:43 »
Some of the "Smart Highway" enthusiasts point out that most petrol consumption over 80km/h is due to wind resistance.
They propose that the cars would all talk to each other, and get into a close convoy, so the second and subsequent vehicles in the convoy experience almost no wind resistance (tough luck if you are the first car...)

If you brake, you must accelerate back to cruising speed, so they propose dedicated lanes..

I don't recommend "slipstreaming" for vehicles under manual control.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2013 12:59:24 »
Partial radiator blocks, nearside mirror deletes and homemade underbody pans are some fairly simple ways that can improve the slipperiness of your motor for little cost.

That said, honing your driving style for efficiency is likely to be the biggest pay off in all.
Look well ahead - ie.changes in traffic conditions, or learning the lights on regular routes, are obvious ways to start reducing you fuel consumption.

With modern ECU-managed cars, finding the efficiency sweet-spot is no longer as intuitive as it might once have been.  In many of today's cars for instance, lightly touching the brake pedal at lower speeds will cause the ECU to cut fuel delivery completely; allowing the vehicle to effectively slow under engine braking (pumping losses) alone.

There are now quite cheap OBDII bluetooth devices that can post all the raw engine management data to a smartphone app for analysis and display.

Getting a more complete and instantaneous picture of fuel consuption, air/fuel ratios, warm-up times etc - these all have the potential to improve driving style and habits over time; monitoring the multiple modes your cars electronic brain can switch into and a more accurate reading on mpg etc than standard dash displays might allow.

Offline Lmnre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2013 00:18:39 »
Ernest asked the Naked Scientists:

There are lots of opinions out here about car fuel consumption, some people say when you change gears frequently, it consumes much fuel than when you are driving on a highway using the same gear.

Regards
Ernest

What do you think?

Changing gears frequently reminds me of stop and go traffic, going up and down hills,  etc, so I'm thinking that it's the traffic conditions that dictate the driving style (to some extent), which in turn, dictates your gas mileage.

In the real world, a constant speed will be more economical than speeding up and slowing down. When braking, the car's kinetic energy is lost through the brake system and converted to thermal energy. When accelerating, more energy is required compared to traveling at a constant speed.

I suggest that drivers pace themselves and not drive aggressively. Tailgating leads to a lot of braking and speeding up, as well as accidents. On the highway, if you drive 100 feet closer to the car in front of you, you will reach your destination a whopping 1 second earlier.

Long distances between cars also act as buffers when there's a lot of speeding up and slowing down. You'll see this after accident scenes, road work areas, and other kinds of bottlenecks.

I'm surprised that governments don't advertise this more.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2013 00:18:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums