The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why can bats find their way out of a house, and birds can't?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't have screens on all of my windows.  Last night I heard a fluttering in the house and noticed a bat flying in circles.  I started thinking that I didn't want to try to catch it or chase it out of the house, but a few minutes later it disappeared.

Birds, on the other hand seem to become trapped in a house, and have to be caught or chased out.

What is the difference?

Are the bats just smarter than the birds?

Or is a closed window opaque to a bat, and transparent to a bird, whereas an open window is so much different when viewed by echolocation?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Closed windows should be fairly visible to a bat's sonar, since they're designed to be transparent to light, not to sound.  (The fact that you can close a window to muffle outdoor sounds demonstrates this, whereas closing a window doesn't really block much light. 

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Depends on the bird, and how it got into the house. I have swallows nesting in my workshop, and they come and go through quite a small vent, but sparrows that enter by chance through the door or window don't know where to look for the exit if their entrance gets closed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums