The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it real or just your imagination?  (Read 11745 times)

Offline lilkim

• View Profile
Re: Is it real or just your imagination?
« Reply #25 on: 20/07/2006 18:12:07 »
so they spent all that money on those satalites because what they think they know is wrong? i heard stories and have watched documentaries about the few employees that "know" something but were never listened to or believed, but i never know if i believe them either since when it comes to the government you never know what is true or what is just info they choose for us to believe...it sure would be nice though to know what made them "think" there was something out there enough to spend all that money and invest all that time into those satalites though...pondering...

B free!!!

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21/07/2006 14:34:18 »
well about a google:1 there is life on another planet. But as for if anything haz visited us...well..thats a difrent story, of witch i dont know the ratio of.

NEVER! underestimate youth

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21/07/2006 20:04:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by moonfire

You are a bit wild young man and you need to be tamed a bit dear emperor!  LOL

"Lo" Loretta

It is the lead in the cups.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #28 on: 22/07/2006 05:00:37 »
Really JimBob!  Interesting....now how would you know that?? hmmmm.....

"Lo" Loretta

Offline 4getmenot

• Life is one big adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01/08/2006 02:15:32 »
Is the wind in your hair or...... is your hair in the wind???

k

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #30 on: 01/08/2006 08:56:14 »
if your tired of fake public gestures come to scotland there are few of them here

there are no such things as ghosts

technically your right if space is truly infinite there is nosuch place as the top or the bottom refering to anything universally as top or bottom or indeed any dimension is just part of human reasoning and is fundamentally flawed however planets galaxies and indeed the universe are no given the values arbiterially since everything spins the top and bottom are usualy the poles but which is which it decided by our perspective at that moment what utter arrogance

I dont personally belive that there is any such thing as destiny but what i do recognise is probability if you were able to calculate the odds from every variable in your life you would have many millions of possible out comes but some would be far more likly than others a good way of showing this (which i dont have the time to right now but will try to later) is probability trees, a graphical way of showing probability distribution through the splitting and merger of branches or probability clusters which will over time and fixed variable values always show a tendency to one area.

lilkim, the liklyhood is that life exists off our planet indeed it is almost a certainty it is also quite likly that this life was,is or will be intelligent however the chances of two or more intelligent (with at least one species capable of interstellar travel) existing at the same time is tiny and the chances of those life forms finding each other tinier still.
to take another tack if the world was bieng threated by and asteroid or comet and this was what the goverment was looking for the reality is we would have absoulutly no chance of destrying or deflecting anything big enough to be a world killer. and the chances of seeing it with anysort of advance warning? minimal, comets are generally only visible crossing the sun and asteroids are only rarely seen before they are already past us and many are not seen even then.
I think the most likely reason to look to the stars is scientific information and knowledge is worth nearly any amount of money.

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02/08/2006 23:54:14 »
lol...s&g...I very much enjoyed that post and if ever i am able to I most certainly will be visiting scotland..i hear it is just beautiful there.

k

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03/08/2006 05:07:46 »
what if there is nothing out there? what if when we die it is just lights out and there is nothing else???? could it be even when we are so intellegent and have such intriquet minds and internal body makeup?? You would think that there would have to be more to eternal life otherwise why would we be mentally where we are? It would be such a waste to have lived and accomplished all that humans have and do to just die one day and it just be dark or a vast nothingness.....

k

another_someone

« Reply #33 on: 03/08/2006 12:51:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by 4getmenot
what if there is nothing out there? what if when we die it is just lights out and there is nothing else???? could it be even when we are so intellegent and have such intriquet minds and internal body makeup?? You would think that there would have to be more to eternal life otherwise why would we be mentally where we are? It would be such a waste to have lived and accomplished all that humans have and do to just die one day and it just be dark or a vast nothingness.....

Why a waste?

It is true, that if all you have accomplished is for yourself, then if you die, then those accomplishments will die with you; but if what you have accomplished is for others, and they live after you die, then will not those accomplishments not continue to have value for others even after your death?

George

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04/08/2006 03:23:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:

Why a waste?

It is true, that if all you have accomplished is for yourself, then if you die, then those accomplishments will die with you; but if what you have accomplished is for others, and they live after you die, then will not those accomplishments not continue to have value for others even after your death?

George

yes..that is true and i understand that...but what i mean is waste as far asno where else to go or be, nothing else personally to accomplish or learn...it seems a waste to have such great potential or desires etc...and to die for it to be just over with nothing in after life ya know?

k

another_someone

« Reply #35 on: 04/08/2006 12:30:24 »
quote:
yes..that is true and i understand that...but what i mean is waste as far asno where else to go or be, nothing else personally to accomplish or learn...it seems a waste to have such great potential or desires etc...and to die for it to be just over with nothing in after life ya know?

Firstly, ofcourse, the intelligence we posses is connected to our life expectancy, and one reason I suspect that people have become more clever over time is because they have been living longer.  There is no point in putting a child through an education system where (s)he does not become productive until they are in their mid 20s, if they are going to die at 35 but if you know that you can obtain value from them until they are 65, then the investment becomes worthwhile.

But, in the wider context how far would you expect to be able to take this.  At what point should oblivion arrive (whether in this world, or in some afterlife), at what time should we stop learning for if the answer is never, then will we some day posses infinite knowledge do you believe that such a scenario would be possible?

Is it not the nature of all things that they are in some way finite, that all that is, will someday not be.  Why should our lives, here or elsewhere, be any different?  Do you think that you would have an infinite life elsewhere, in another world?  And infinite learning, and infinite accomplishment?

George

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04/08/2006 21:51:06 »
If death is forever or infinate and it is more than possible, why not learning?

k

another_someone

« Reply #37 on: 04/08/2006 22:45:18 »
quote:
If death is forever or infinate and it is more than possible, why not learning?

because infinite learning would ultimately imply infinite knowledge, and would this not ultimately put you on par with that which is claimed of God?

As much as one may debate whether there would be one God, the outcome of your scenario would seem to indicate that we all become Gods.

George
« Last Edit: 04/08/2006 22:46:49 by another_someone »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #38 on: 05/08/2006 01:07:52 »
Who says the universe if infinite? Who says life is predestined at birth? Don't tell me you are talking about that popular book of fiction.

p.s. the carpenters son dies :-(

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #39 on: 05/08/2006 03:41:35 »
Is this the real life, is this just fantasy. Caught in landslide, no escape from reality.

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05/08/2006 06:16:00 »
Good point...."Is this life" perhaps this life is not the reality at all..people only seem to think that what they can see, touch, feel and think IS reality....we only use a part of our brains and are limited in doing so as to the real reality of life...there is so much we can not even fathom about thinking yet..

k

another_someone

« Reply #41 on: 05/08/2006 15:43:34 »
quote:
Good point...."Is this life" perhaps this life is not the reality at all..people only seem to think that what they can see, touch, feel and think IS reality....we only use a part of our brains and are limited in doing so as to the real reality of life...there is so much we can not even fathom about thinking yet..

Ofcourse, the very notion that we have brains at all is an aspect of our perception, and if we cannot trust our perception, then how do we know that we have any kind of physical brain.

Clearly, the notion that 'I think, therefore I am' implies we have some mechanism for managing thoughts, but whether such a mechanism is a brain in any physical sense of the word cannot be known without placing trust in our senses in some way.

George

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14/08/2006 05:28:01 »
our brain is another organ/muscle in our body, but not our essence or spirit...so i guess it would be what really is real...what we see and "think" with our brains or what we feel as in sight not with our eyes but rather our sences??

k

Offline 4getmenot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20/08/2006 17:09:32 »
how can one thing be right if so many people see it differently?

k

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #43 on: 20/08/2006 17:09:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length