The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: can replies be copied?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline annie123

• View Profile
can replies be copied?
« on: 30/07/2013 20:38:37 »
Hi
I wanted to send some replies to a post to my son after we had discussed a particular topic, and copy/paste didn't work. Is the copying of posts and replies not possible?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: can replies be copied?
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2013 23:57:43 »
Copying and Pasting into the browser does work , e.g.  I just coped and pasted your text ...

"Hi
I wanted to send some replies to a post to my son after we had discussed a particular topic, and copy/paste didn't work. Is the copying of posts and replies not possible?"

Your copy-paste problem may not be specific to this website ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=cannot+copy+paste+clipboard
« Last Edit: 31/07/2013 00:09:16 by RD »

Offline annie123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2013 05:20:55 »
I tried to copy paste to MS word to send in an e mail attachment. I couldn't. The link you sent me didn't seem to help but perhaps I didn't understand it.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2013 11:18:11 »
I tried to copy paste to MS word to send in an e mail attachment. I couldn't.

Ah, so you can't copy-paste from an internet browser to MS Word.

If you copy text from a browser other than Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word is can refuse and produce an error ...

A workaround is to paste into Microsoft notepad or wordpad, then copy from *o**pad and paste to Microsoft Word.

The official method is to use "paste special" in Microsoft Word ...

« Last Edit: 01/08/2013 12:07:56 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2013 05:36:56 »
Thanks RD,

I use the text editor trick a lot, especially when pasting data to a spreadsheet, also when I want to force whatever is receiving the text to ignore the text formatting, although I see Word gives the option to ignore formatting.

Word may be able to read a document saved in HTML format, although in this case, one probably wouldn't want to save, and load a whole TNS page.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/2013 19:02:47 »
If you can highlight text, you can copy and paste it. To copy text, highlight it using the mouse, then hold down one of the Ctrl keys and press the C key to copy that text. To paste it in somewhere else, click where you want to paste it to get the cursor there, then hold down Ctrl and press the V key.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/2013 19:57:41 »
If you can highlight text, you can copy and paste it. To copy text, highlight it using the mouse, then hold down one of the Ctrl keys and press the C key to copy that text. To paste it in somewhere else, click where you want to paste it to get the cursor there, then hold down Ctrl and press the V key.

If you copy from an internet browser other than Internet Explorer into Microsoft Word[processor],
you'll get that error message when you try to paste with "Ctrl"+"V".   

I suppose it encourages people to use Microsoft's own Internet browser, IE, however IIRC it prevents the possibility of malware being transferred which can be hidden in the copied webpage : MS Word can be a security vulnerability , e.g.  ... https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Vulnerabilities+in+Microsoft+Word+Could+Allow+Remote+Code+Execution%22+technet
« Last Edit: 03/08/2013 23:22:01 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2013 20:31:51 »
No problem with copying and pasting from Firefox into LibreOffice Writer (OpenOffice). 

I think it links the photos back to the source, rather than copying them locally.  Personally I would rather everything be stored locally.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/08/2013 20:43:33 »
If you copy from an internet browser other than Internet Explorer into Microsoft Word[processor],
you'll get that error message when you try to paste with "Ctrl"+"V".

What happens if you paste into Notepad first, then copy and paste again from there?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2013 20:47:52 »
... What happens if you paste into Notepad first, then copy and paste again from there?

Yes copying from notepad then pasting into MS Word works, (that was the workaround I mentioned previously

The official method using "paste special" requires less buttons to be pressed.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2013 20:59:04 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2013 20:47:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums