The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Impossible view  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
Impossible view
« on: 19/07/2006 10:32:33 »
Just curious, but what would we observe if we could look out into the universe without going back in time.(Gods telescope).
To see the universe as it is and not in the past.
What shape would it take and  would it give us a better understanding of where we lie in it rather than appearing as in the centre?
Would we be on a great disc?

Tomorrow lies outside our universe without it there would be no tomorrow.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible view
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2006 15:02:36 »
that is a very guess able question. it is immpossible to c the universe in that way

NEVER! underestimate youth

Offline heikki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2006 19:54:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Mark

:)

Hi.

My thought is that we see universe now like it is now, not how it was past.

Why i thougt so?

Simpple reason. We look universe now. We measure universe now. Our measuring equipments (like radiotelescope) measuring it now.

What comes to our eyes or measuring equipments, happend now. That "information" is now-time.

Is this "information" then view of some history image? I says, no.

Why i thought so?

Because if it is image of history then it not change anykind of going through time? Is space-nature that kind that is not change? No. Changes happening all the time. So therefore what we measure and see, what  comes from space, that is not view of history, because it was changed when going through time.

Therefore i think that we cannot says what is history of long way past by measuring or looking todays now-time, and therefore i think that it is unpossible to solve space-nature-universe history happenings. But, do we need to know it? Earth-ball round sun and we live here, depend of what is past of space-nature at long long ago.

:)

Offline monkey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/07/2006 23:47:16 »
Hello, this is my first post

I rekon it would be a bit boring. I think it would look pretty much the same, stuff would be in different places, with some new stuff, and some stuff gone. Might make navigating by the stars interesting... if you picked up the wrong telescope and all.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2006 10:49:13 »
The question is effectively what would we see if the velocity of light were effectively instantanious.

The answer is not very much different to what we see at the moment out to most reasonable distances and a good deal less at great distances because the ability to look back into the past gives us a lot more information about the history of the universe than if we can see it all as it is now.

For example there would be no cosmic microwave backgrouind and we would see very few quasars because there aren't many around now so we would not know (and not be able to find out about) a lot of things we currently know.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline monkey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/07/2006 23:47:16 »
Hello, this is my first post

I rekon it would be a bit boring. I think it would look pretty much the same, stuff would be in different places, with some new stuff, and some stuff gone. Might make navigating by the stars interesting... if you picked up the wrong telescope and all.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/07/2006 10:49:13 »
The question is effectively what would we see if the velocity of light were effectively instantanious.

The answer is not very much different to what we see at the moment out to most reasonable distances and a good deal less at great distances because the ability to look back into the past gives us a lot more information about the history of the universe than if we can see it all as it is now.

For example there would be no cosmic microwave backgrouind and we would see very few quasars because there aren't many around now so we would not know (and not be able to find out about) a lot of things we currently know.

God says so!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/08/2006 13:13:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Mark

Just curious, but what would we observe if we could look out into the universe without going back in time.

Interesting question. To answer it, the only way we know at the moment is to wait more than 14 billions of years! That is, the time it will take from light emitted in this moment from the most distant objects in the universe (the most distant 14 billions of years ago) to come here; I said "more than..." because in this moment the dimension of the universe is presumably much greather than that, since those distant objects have moved apart from us for 14 billions of years up to now.

Maybe in the future we could be able to move through space-time tunnels in the universe reaching in a short time even very distant objects.

To have an idea of how is the real universe in this moment, we should make a dynamic model of how the universe we know will appear to be in the future, I presume.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2006 11:05:43 »
To pick up on your last point most of astronomy nowadays consists of refining by observation the finely detailed mathematical models we have of the past and future behaviours of everything from the whole universe through galaxies to stars and their interactions in binary systems to planetary systems minor planets and the chemical evolution of planetary atmospheres.

God says so!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2006 11:05:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums