The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: West Side Story & Clicking Fingers  (Read 2556 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
West Side Story & Clicking Fingers
« on: 19/07/2006 18:27:30 »
Opening scene of West Side Story...the Jets and Sharks introduced to us...incredible dancing...great singing....cool suave style and smart finger clicks !!

But what exactly makes the sound of the ' click  '...I can click my fingers with little pressure and still maintain a fairly audible volume !

Is it like clapping ?...except clapping starts with the hands apart...finger clicking does not !!...

Thank you.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

Re: West Side Story & Clicking Fingers
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2006 19:53:50 »
It is an explosive sound, rather like a paper bag being exploded, or a whip being cracked.  In fact, I have been able to clap my hands near an insect in flight, and actually stun the insect simply by the force of the shock wave.
You say that you apply only a small amount of pressure, but in fact the pressure you apply when you click your fingers is probably quite high, because it is concentrated over a very small area.  The overall force is very light, but even that light force when applied to a very small area can be quite fierce and, ofcourse, it is not merely the force itself, but the suddenness of the force, like a bell being struck or a drum being hit by a stick.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2006 20:36:12 »
THANK YOU GEORGE.

I can't stop clicking my fingers now...trying to ' feel ' the pressure.

You're right of course. It does feel that there is more pressure than I implied.

Yes, the suddeness...I did reason that myself after posting ....and it's nice to get your confirmation.

Thanks George ' click click '

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2006 20:36:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums