The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Plant Food  (Read 3151 times)

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
Plant Food
« on: 03/08/2013 08:00:34 »
Does anyone know the chemical composition of plant food contained in small packets that are intended to be used for cut plants placed in vases?

Is there any nutritional value in the substance if mixed in with growing compost even though it is not intended to be used that way?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Food
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2013 08:32:28 »
I assume there are several different "flower food" packets available.

Here is the MSDS for Floralife Crystal ClearŪ Fresh Flower Food (Powder).  It doesn't list the "inert" ingredients, but the active ingredient is: Hydroxycarballylic acid, 1-5%, which is a weak acid.

Some plants like acidic soil, some don't. 

This article suggests using vinegar + bleach.  Again acidifying the product, and the bleach would be harmful to the microorganisms in your compost.

Anyway, so I don't think cut flower plant food would be appropriate for compost or adding as fertilizer, unless you specifically want acidic soil, in which case, just add some vinegar or dilute muriatic acid (HCl).  Generally, however, I think most people strive for slightly alkaline soil, thus adding lime or baking soda.

Nitrogen based fertilizer would be good as well as phosphates, and ash from your fireplace.  Hmmm, you could probably also use a bit of Diesel Exhaust Fluid, although it would be an expensive solution.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Plant Food
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2013 08:32:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums