The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Freezer display showing -29 Centrigrade but it is empty and on fast freeze  (Read 1414 times)

Offline OlderButLearningAgain

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have been having trouble with a Frost Free Freezer so I have ordered a new one. However, the freezer was empty and dethawed for 2 days.

Last night it was left empty, and set to -24 degrees centigrade. But put on fast freeze. This morning. The temperature displayed -29 degrees Centigrade. Is this possible. Or do I not believe the Gauge.

Further, opening and touching the walls - the freezer doesnt feel that cold that your hand sticks to it.

A  few minutes ago I put a saucepan of water in the bottom.

Ten minutes later it's showing -28.

Does that sound like it's working, or I am I wasting my time thinking it's working or do I just go and throw away the freezer?

Thanks in advance for any help for any information that you can provide me on this subject.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
The air temperature may well be -29C or thereabouts. The question is, does it freeze water? It will take a long time to freeze a saucepanful, but "fast freeze" should produce ice cubes in an hour or two.

Hands sticking to the surface is not a reliable test if you have dry skin and the pump was switched off at the time. Key question was whether the surface felt cold?

Offline OlderButLearningAgain

• First timers
    • View Profile
No, the gauge is Centigrade. it was showing +20 when it had been left open and off for 24 hours. (Sorry - person has removed post - they questioned whether it was Fahrenheit)

It's now down to -25, and when you open the door you see "steam" - frozen movement of air?

I felt the coolness land on my feet.

I am with my lodger - and he doesnt believe it is working. He then tried feeling the inside of his fridge - and it felt warm to the touch.  Yet it is keeping items cool.

Tried the wet hands idea and I think it does feel colder.

Have put a little egg cup sized plastic pot in with water - let's see if it turns to ice. Left the saucepan in there for good measure.
« Last Edit: 16/08/2013 06:56:21 by OlderButLearningAgain »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
It's now down to -25, and when you open the door you see "steam" - frozen movement of air?

So it's working!

"Frost free" suggests that it works by blowing cold dry air through the box, so the surfaces might not feel cold or sticky.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums