The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: time perception altering pills.  (Read 12768 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
time perception altering pills.
« on: 18/08/2013 13:28:27 »
Every one has heard of a time machine, scifi shows what a time machine might look like.

I think it would be pretty hard to make a machine that physically brings you to the past or future It seems like an impossible feet right?  maybe Physically but maybe it would be possible to mentally alter time.

there are drugs out there that are known to alter a persons perception of time believe it or not. So I thought if it's possible to alter your perception of time then would slow motion matrix stuff some day become real? What im saying is what if a soldier took a pill to slow down time for himself in-order to fight like spider man.
look at this video.

Some Martial artists monks clam to be able to slow down time slightly through unusual meditation styles.

you could speed through time, go into your memories or even look into the future.
Science can already sort of do most of these things. Usually with drugs and hypnotic states.

For example, a hypnotic regression can help you remember stuff by sort of going into memories in a hypnotic state. If you hypnotize someone if they are asleep then they will dream of what your induction speech implies which would be about the memory your trying to receive. It sort of acts like a window to the past in a dream state. If you give someone DMT while under hypnosis a similar effect occurs.

DMT trials and test basically state that DMT is the chemical behind dreaming and if you take it wile conscious you go into a half dream/half awake type of trippy state.
combine that with a hypnotic regression and you get powerful results.

other drugs can sort of slow or speed up someones conception of time. if someone can find out what mechanism in the brain that time perception occurs in then who knows what's possible.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: time perception altering pills.
« Reply #1 on: 19/08/2013 01:02:53 »
... there are drugs out there that are known to alter a persons perception of time believe it or not ...

In some areas over 10% of children take such a drug as they are diagnosed with, ( but do not necessarily have ),  ADHD  ... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/health/more-diagnoses-of-hyperactivity-causing-concern.html

Methylphenidate

Methylphenidate (MPH; Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate, or Methylin) is a drug approved for treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, and narcolepsy. It belongs to the piperidine class of compounds and increases the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain through reuptake inhibition of the monoamine transporters. It also increases the release of dopamine and norepinephrine. MPH possesses structural similarities to amphetamine, and, though it is less potent, its pharmacological effects are even more closely related to those of cocaine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulant#NRIs.2C_NDRIs.2C_and_SNDRIs
« Last Edit: 19/08/2013 01:15:02 by RD »

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2013 02:09:59 »
so if a regular person took some of the chemicals RD mentioned they would sort of have ultra fine focus?  I know that sounds dumb but from what I read in the link above chemicals like Methylphenidate and Methylin can alter someones state of mind. I wonder if "meth" in the names indicate an addictive substance?

I wonder how they figure out this stuff, what process do chemists and doctors go through inorder to figure out cures like these?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/08/2013 03:27:28 »
so if a regular person took some of the chemicals RD mentioned they would sort of have ultra fine focus? 

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/show/2010.11.21/  ["Smart Drugs" begins @ 32:50]
« Last Edit: 19/08/2013 03:38:17 by RD »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2013 04:10:21 »
I read an interesting article about the phenomenon of "slow motion" during a life threatening event  (like a car crash.) The article concluded that people's perception of time does not actually slow down. What happens is that their brains become highly alert, paying as much attention to as many details of the situation as it possibly can (because it might be useful in avoiding the same bad thing again.) Because so much information is stored about the event, it's seems as if more time has passed (eg 15 seconds felt like 3 minutes) because under normal circumstances, that amount of stored information would correlate with a greater amount of time passing.

This article was only about life threatening situations, but it also made me wonder about time perception in childhood. The standard explanation for why time seems to go slower when you are a kid and speed up as you age is that a day or a summer is constitutes a larger percentage of a child's entire lifetime so far, compared to an adult. But could it also be possible that as adults we are no longer storing as much new information because fewer and fewer experiences are novel (been there, done that) so that it seems like time is passing more quickly as we age?

Getting back to the topic of drugs and time perception, perhaps some drugs do not directly alter the brains perception of time by speeding up or slowing down some metabolic activity. Perhaps the altered state is treated like a novel or even threatening experience and the brain is attempting to store as many details about it as possible, despite it's impairment. Or conversely, drugs like alcohol, may make time go faster when the brain is too impaired to effectively store any information about events at all.
« Last Edit: 24/08/2013 04:51:11 by cheryl j »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2013 10:23:52 »
... perhaps some drugs do not directly alter the brains perception of time by speeding up or slowing down some metabolic activity ...

It's speeding-up processes which makes things appear to go in slow-motion : cf overcranking.
« Last Edit: 24/08/2013 10:25:35 by RD »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2013 02:15:55 »
... perhaps some drugs do not directly alter the brains perception of time by speeding up or slowing down some metabolic activity ...

It's speeding-up processes which makes things appear to go in slow-motion : cf overcranking.

I have heard of that as well. Fever makes time seem to pass more slowly- I suppose because the increase in temperature increases the rate of metabolic reactions. But the perception of time as a function of the amount of information processed or stored would be qualitatively a bit different. But I'm really just speculating here.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2013 02:15:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums