The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a fire be scaled down to Smurf size?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
Can a fire be scaled down to Smurf size?
« on: 19/08/2013 03:29:28 »
I've wondered this ever since watching the smurfs as a child. If a smurf gathered together a bunch of smurf-sized twigs and sticks and scrunched up a bunch of smurf-sized newspapers which they lit with a smurf-sized match...

How big would the flames be? Because if I tried to light a 'campfire' that small it would just burn up in no time.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can a fire be scaled down to Smurf size?
« Reply #1 on: 19/08/2013 04:49:00 »
How big is "smurf sized?"

I generally make my campfire pits less than a square foot or so.  Hmmm...  perhaps 6 or 8" by 8 to 10" or so. 

Kindling, of course, can be much smaller. 

Anyway, if you wanted to make a tiny camp fire, it might be hard to keep it lit.  You would likely have to use very small wood, which would then have to be continually fed into the fire which one looses on the outside of a large piece of wood. 

A while ago, I had observed that it is difficult to keep a single piece of wood lit.  I think part of the problem is that one must maintain a certain ignition temperature. 

Likewise, if one tried to maintain a small fire with, say pinky sized wood, it may be difficult to keep it at high enough of an ignition temperature to maintain the flames.  Drop down to sizes of wood the size of a toothpick or matchstick, and one would likely be able to maintain a fire, at least if the wood was super dry, but it would burn up...  well, about as fast as a match stick, perhaps a little faster.

An option, of course, would be to give your smurfs a nice candle, or butane lighter.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2013 09:04:04 »
Sounds similar to the problem miniature-model makers had with water* : it's not scalable ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting

There's going to be a minimum size a flame can be ... http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=14531887&postcount=11

[* before CGI]
« Last Edit: 19/08/2013 22:43:06 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2013 09:04:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums