The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: mind over matter  (Read 9046 times)

Offline lilkim

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
mind over matter
« on: 20/07/2006 18:32:11 »
what exactly is meant by that and does it truely work?

B free!!!


 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2006 20:38:11 »
Hi KIm,

Wiki has a little article about it HERE

...but essentially it's the ability to use your own mind to control certain aspects of external stimuli upon the body....it's akin to Will Power !

For instance...a hot coal walker may use some form of mind over matter to enable them to walk on hot coals.....this is just one example..

..another may be to enable the use of strong self control when enduring other forms of pain or when a particular physical goal is required eg..losing weight.......

I am sure more intelligent answers will follow.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
 

sharkeyandgeorge

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2006 22:24:17 »
hi lilkim there is no such thing as mind over matter its really mind over mind everyones body has massive potential that is almost never accessed and why?. because as you grow up you create in your own mind boundries of what you can and cannot do this may be because it hurt when you tried somthing or you were not able to do it at the time and that is fixed in your mind even if your bady develops further,
When people talk about mind over matter, such as a parent lifting a car to rescue a child it is not a miricle nor superhuman its just that somrthing far more important than your preconcieved notions can smash them apart and allow youto access all your potential.
 

Offline tony6789

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1127
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2006 16:07:19 »
i think it means something like: u need to focus ur mind on what u want even if something is standing in your way

NEVER! underestimate youth
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2006 18:28:17 »
The alternative, solipsist, perspective would be that mind is all, and matter may only be an illusion.



George
 

Offline 4getmenot

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
  • Life is one big adventure
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #5 on: 21/07/2006 18:44:43 »
This is what is seen everytime i ask this...everyone has a different meaning or explination for what it means, yet there is no "one" meaning for it and that is what i want to know...ya know? It is hard to say...just what truely is meant by it, but i will keep asking and keep looking for it...lol

k
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2006 19:55:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by 4getmenot
This is what is seen everytime i ask this...everyone has a different meaning or explination for what it means, yet there is no "one" meaning for it and that is what i want to know...ya know? It is hard to say...just what truely is meant by it, but i will keep asking and keep looking for it...lol



That you get so many different answers probably says as much as anything – that it really does not have much intrinsic meaning at all, but is a phrase used to carry whatever meaning the speaker wishes to attribute to it at the moment.



George
 

Offline gecko

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 196
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #7 on: 24/07/2006 05:41:07 »
yes, the definition is loose. however, in the definition that the mind can actually effect matter(example, making a car lighter or makign the coals less hot), its just supernatural hogwash. in the sense that the mind can effect its own perception(example, blocking out pain, using never-before known strength), it has some merit.

as for walking on hot coals, anyone can do that because wood is such a poor conducter of heat. walking on hot frying pans would be something else! alot of these mind-over-matter demonstations are simply things anyone can do. most people dont understand the physics behind it,  so it seems supernatural.

alot of people, having bad experiences with PCP, have been known to fight off 5 or 6 people at a time, rip doors off of hinges, and other "supernatural" feats of strength. usually these people extend their muscles to the point where they rip them or tear their joints. anyone can do these things, but your mind does put a sort of "limit" on it for your own safety. a simple change in brain chemistry from a drug or  natural adrenaline and panic, can push these limits.
 

Offline 4getmenot

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
  • Life is one big adventure
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #8 on: 25/07/2006 16:42:28 »
interesting article...but no one i guess has a true meaning of it or where it came from...

k
 

Offline 4getmenot

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
  • Life is one big adventure
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #9 on: 03/08/2006 04:54:25 »
I guess this subject is finished???

k
 

Offline 4getmenot

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 138
  • Life is one big adventure
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #10 on: 14/08/2006 05:20:53 »
well i mind if it matters...

k
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #11 on: 14/08/2006 07:45:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by gecko
as for walking on hot coals, anyone can do that because wood is such a poor conducter of heat. walking on hot frying pans would be something else! alot of these mind-over-matter demonstations are simply things anyone can do. most people dont understand the physics behind it,  so it seems supernatural.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect
quote:

The Leidenfrost effect is a phenomenon in which a liquid, in near contact with a mass significantly hotter than its boiling point, produces an insulating vapor layer which keeps that liquid from boiling rapidly. This is most commonly seen when cooking; one sprinkles drops of water in a skillet to gauge its temperature—if the skillet's temperature is at or above the Leidenfrost point, the water skitters across the metal and takes longer to evaporate than it would in a skillet that is hot, but at a temperature below the Leidenfrost point. It has also been used in some dangerous demonstrations, such as dipping a wet finger in molten lead and blowing out a mouthful of liquid nitrogen, both enacted without injury to the demonstrator. There have been claims that the effect is also involved when walking on fire, but this contention remains controversial. The effect is also responsible for the ability of liquid nitrogen to skitter across lab floors, collecting dust in the process.





George
 

Offline peterjsw

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #12 on: 21/10/2006 14:46:57 »
Hello guys.
I'm a photographer based in London. For a forthcoming project I plan to use liquid nitrogen for a series of experiments. I was wondering whether anyone could offer some advise on where to purhase it. I plan to dip objects into the liquid and subsequently shatter them. Any advise would be appreciated.

Kinds
pete

 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #13 on: 21/10/2006 14:57:59 »
Isn't liquid nitrogen extremely dangerous in that form.. wouldn't you be risking your life playing with that...or do I have the wrong chemical??Can't you blow yourself from here to kingdom come with that stuff?

Karen
 

Offline peterjsw

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #14 on: 21/10/2006 15:01:36 »
Apparently so. But i've been informed that liquid nitrogen is what I need. The purpose is to freeze books and consequently shatter them. Do you have any alternatives?

pete
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #15 on: 21/10/2006 15:09:27 »
Not me, I am the least scientific minded person you will meet! I just read that  and my mouth dropped open that you would even want to try to use the stuff.. Isn,t it very unstable? Jeesh everything I have ever heard points to it being extremely dangerous, even a drop of the stuff!, That may be all Hype, but I don't know! Just make sure you are real careful!

Karen
 

Offline lightarrow

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 4586
  • Thanked: 7 times
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #16 on: 21/10/2006 19:39:28 »
Hello Karen!

Yes, you are right, liquid nitrogen is very dangerous, not because of its chemical properties, but because of its temperature (less than -196°C). In the same way as a book or a piece of gum becomes as fragile as glass, your flesh becomes too, and after that, if that part of your body doesn't shatter, those cells are dead forever.

You should wear a very thick special suite, liquid proof, heat insulating and that doesn't become brittle at those temperatures.
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #17 on: 21/10/2006 20:05:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by lightarrow
Hello Karen!

Yes, you are right, liquid nitrogen is very dangerous, not because of its chemical properties, but because of its temperature (less than -196°C). In the same way as a book or a piece of gum becomes as fragile as glass, your flesh becomes too, and after that, if that part of your body doesn't shatter, those cells are dead forever.

You should wear a very thick special suite, liquid proof, heat insulating and that doesn't become brittle at those temperatures.



It is not just the low temperature that can cause problems with liquid nitrogen, but also as liquid nitrogen evaporates it will displace the air in the room and cause you to suffocate (this is true of any gas, whether nitrogen or otherwise – and dry ice is theoretically even more dangerous than dry ice, since the evaporating CO2 is actually toxic, whereas nitrogen is not).

As for the risk of freezing your body, it is no different to the risk of playing with fire, and setting light to yourself.  There is a risk, but not exceptionally so – the major issue is just make sure you have good ventilation and a good inflow of fresh air.

I would have thought that many colleges would know where to get hold of such supplies = maybe ask them who their suppliers are.  I would be surprised if it is in any way a controlled substance.



George
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #18 on: 22/10/2006 01:25:19 »
IS Liquid Nitrogen related in any way or some form of nitro-glycerin, or is Nitro-glycerin a form of liquid nitrogen? Did I confuse the question or clarify it?

Karen
 

Offline Gaia

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 397
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #19 on: 22/10/2006 11:21:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Quote
It is not just the low temperature that can cause problems with liquid nitrogen, but also as liquid nitrogen evaporates it will displace the air in the room and cause you to suffocate (this is true of any gas, whether nitrogen or otherwise – and dry ice is theoretically even more dangerous than dry ice, since the evaporating CO2 is actually toxic, whereas nitrogen is not).


George




I think this should read: and dry ice is theoretically even more dangerous than liquid nitrogen

Gaia  xxx
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #20 on: 23/10/2006 06:40:33 »
Wow I did not know that!

Karen
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #21 on: 23/10/2006 12:12:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gaia

quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Quote
It is not just the low temperature that can cause problems with liquid nitrogen, but also as liquid nitrogen evaporates it will displace the air in the room and cause you to suffocate (this is true of any gas, whether nitrogen or otherwise – and dry ice is theoretically even more dangerous than dry ice, since the evaporating CO2 is actually toxic, whereas nitrogen is not).


George




I think this should read: and dry ice is theoretically even more dangerous than liquid nitrogen

Gaia  xxx



LOL - indeed it should.



George
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #22 on: 23/10/2006 12:27:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
IS Liquid Nitrogen related in any way or some form of nitro-glycerin, or is Nitro-glycerin a form of liquid nitrogen? Did I confuse the question or clarify it?

Karen



Chemically, nitroglycerin contains nitrogen, as liquid nitrogen is nitrogen.  The point is that it is not the actual nitrogen in nitroglycerin that is explosive, but the structure in which it is bound up.  Other materials that contain nitrogen are ceramics like aluminium nitride or boron nitride, which are highly stable substances (some forms of boron nitride being almost as hard as diamond, and has a melting point of over 2900 centigrade, while aluminium nitride melts around 2200 centigrade, gallium nitride at 2500 centigrade).

Nitrogen is a key component of most of the major substances of life (and very many poisons, such as cyanide).

It all depends upon how the nitrogen fits into the structures of the other components of the components around it – but that is true of all chemistry, not only the chemistry of nitrogen.



George
 

Offline Gaia

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 397
    • View Profile
Re: mind over matter
« Reply #23 on: 23/10/2006 13:15:34 »
Roughly 70% of the air we breathe is nitrogen.

Gaia  xxx
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: mind over matter
« Reply #23 on: 23/10/2006 13:15:34 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums