The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Modafinil  (Read 9441 times)

Offline vweaver

• First timers
    • View Profile
Modafinil
« on: 13/11/2003 13:46:43 »
I was surfing and came across Dr. Danielle Turner's articles
> on Modafinil.  I am a 49 year old man who was
> diagnosed with narcolepsy 6 years ago.  I was
> prescribed Ritalin first and it seemed to work to
> keep me awake during the day.  Without the
> medication I can't stay awake to drive or work.
> Three years ago my medication was changed to
> Providgil and Dexedrine.  It works and I am being
> closely monitored to insure I don't become addicted.
>  The problem is the Ritalin, Providgil and/or the
> Dexedrine has affected my short term memory.  I am
> having trouble at work and home functioning at a
> normal level.  I am unable to remember things for
> any length of time.  Within seconds of thinking of
> something I am wondering what I was thinking about.
> I am a professional and at times I can't even
> remember things I should know for my work.
>
> I am being seen by a Psychologist for anxiety,
> stress and depression possibly brought on by a three
> year battle with health issues (back and neck) that
> has led to two surgeries.  I have constant headaches
> and have seen four different kinds of Doctors in the
> past 6 months.
>
> I am sorry to take your time with all the history,
> but now that you know a little about me, How can I
> be in your study?  How can I obtain the drug
> Modafinil?  Can my Physician prescribe it?
> I realize you are very busy.  Please return my email
> and maybe provide some answers.  I am in North
> Carolina.
>
> Thanks
> Vic

Vic

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Modafinil
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2003 17:38:46 »
Hi Vic, welcome to the forum.  I have experience that enables me to relate to your embarassment and despair.  In the course of regaining my health I had to do a lot of research and have referenced some info for you.  

Did the narcolepsy start six years ago when you were diagnosed, or before that?  Were your neck and back surgeries related to a head trauma?  

The first thing I would try is having blood allergy tests done.  There are documented cases of people curing narcolepsy by removing allergenic foods from their diets.  Be great if it's that simple for you.

A few nutrients that can help are:
Gotu kola - decreases fatigue & depression
Ginko biloba - good for depression, headaches & memory loss - increases cerebral & peripheral blood flow, circulation & oxygenation
Calcium/magnesium - too many benefits to list - helps energy production & the nervous system
Lecithin - the protective sheaths surrounding the brain are composed of lecithin
Coenzyme Q10 - promotes circulation to the brain
L-Glutamine - (do NOT take this if you have a disorder that causes an accumulation of ammonia in the blood) - brain fuel, passes the blood-brain barrier freely
L-Tyrosine - (do NOT take this if taking an MAO inhibitor drug) - important in thyroid function (low levels have been associated with narcolepsy)
Multivitamin & mineral - helps balance bodily functions
Omega-3 essential fatty acids - protects cell membranes

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2003 22:04:02 »
Hi Vic and welcome.  Modafinil is the generic name for Provigil, which you are already taking.

Bezoar
« Last Edit: 13/11/2003 22:05:26 by bezoar »

Offline vweaver

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2003 13:25:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Hi Vic, welcome to the forum.  I have experience that enables me to relate to your embarassment and despair.  In the course of regaining my health I had to do a lot of research and have referenced some info for you.  

Did the narcolepsy start six years ago when you were diagnosed, or before that?  Were your neck and back surgeries related to a head trauma?  

The first thing I would try is having blood allergy tests done.  There are documented cases of people curing narcolepsy by removing allergenic foods from their diets.  Be great if it's that simple for you.

Ginko biloba - good for depression, headaches & memory loss - increases cerebral & peripheral blood flow, circulation & oxygenation
Calcium/magnesium - too many benefits to list - helps energy production & the nervous system
Lecithin - the protective sheaths surrounding the brain are composed of lecithin
L-Glutamine - (do NOT take this if you have a disorder that causes an accumulation of ammonia in the blood) - brain fuel, passes the blood-brain barrier freely
L-Tyrosine - (do NOT take this if taking an MAO inhibitor drug) - important in thyroid function (low levels have been associated with narcolepsy)

Vic

Offline vweaver

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2003 13:29:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Ma-Donnah:  I am told the narcolepsy was there all the time it just didn't manafest itself till my older years.  The neck and trouble might be related but there was no trama close to the dates of my problems.  I was allergy tested but it was the skin test.  Is the blood test that much different?
Thanks for the reply.

Vic

Offline Danielle

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2003 18:30:51 »
Hi Vic
Thank you for your post. Unfortunately I cannot comment on individual cases and we are not recruiting for any studies at the moment. However, I can tell you that Provigil is the trade name for modafinil. That is, the active ingredient is called modafinil but it is marketed by the name Provigil. Also, it is well known that depression can sometimes lead to short term memory problems. It is possible that some of your problems are caused by this.
I hope that you find some relief from your symptoms soon.
All the best,
Danielle Turner

quote:
Originally posted by vweaver

I was surfing and came across Dr. Danielle Turner's articles
> on Modafinil.  I am a 49 year old man who was
> diagnosed with narcolepsy 6 years ago.  I was
> prescribed Ritalin first and it seemed to work to
> keep me awake during the day.  Without the
> medication I can't stay awake to drive or work.
> Three years ago my medication was changed to
> Providgil and Dexedrine.  It works and I am being
> closely monitored to insure I don't become addicted.
>  The problem is the Ritalin, Providgil and/or the
> Dexedrine has affected my short term memory.  I am
> having trouble at work and home functioning at a
> normal level.  I am unable to remember things for
> any length of time.  Within seconds of thinking of
> something I am wondering what I was thinking about.
> I am a professional and at times I can't even
> remember things I should know for my work.
>
> I am being seen by a Psychologist for anxiety,
> stress and depression possibly brought on by a three
> year battle with health issues (back and neck) that
> has led to two surgeries.  I have constant headaches
> and have seen four different kinds of Doctors in the
> past 6 months.
>
> I am sorry to take your time with all the history,
> but now that you know a little about me, How can I
> be in your study?  How can I obtain the drug
> Modafinil?  Can my Physician prescribe it?
> I realize you are very busy.  Please return my email
> and maybe provide some answers.  I am in North
> Carolina.
>
> Thanks
> Vic

Vic

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2003 01:15:43 »
Hi Vic,

In my opinion the blood tests are far more accurate than the skin tests.  I've had both done; the scratch tests showed no allergies (I was tested for mushrooms and numerous other foods); the blood tests revealed an allergy to mushrooms.  After being off mushrooms I accidentally ate a sliver on two separate occasions.  The first time I had huge water filled blisters and very red skin around my neck within minutes.  The second time my whole body ached for about three days.

It can't hurt to have the blood tests done and you may get some surprising results.  If you don't have medical coverage, I'm guessing it would cost in about the $75 US range.  You could do a little research first, check with your doctor and talk to a naturopath (not an appointment, just questions) to find out more about blood allergy testing.

By the way Vic, I'd like to congratulate you on taking the initiative to do something about your problems.  Too many people go to the doctor looking for a magic pill.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2003 01:15:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums