The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The early warning radar system  (Read 2190 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The early warning radar system
« on: 28/08/2013 13:13:45 »
On a recent trip to the mainland I passed thru Dover and was saddened by the sight of the near derelict early warning radar antenna's.
This primitive 20 MHz radar system and its associated fighter control system  contributed as much as the much vaunted Bletchley park code breakers in avoiding us being occupied by the Germans in 1940.
It would be fitting if one station could be completely restored as a museum.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: The early warning radar system
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2013 19:07:36 »
Have a look at www.radarmuseum.co.uk - I'm tempted to make it my next pleasure flight! There's a German Wurtzburg unit in fair nick at IWM Duxford, next to the V1 launch rail.

Unfortunately, 20.000 MHz is now allocated to a standard frequency and time signal and the bits either side are used by hams, so a fully working restoration would be very unpopular.

Somewhere around Shoeburyness  I believe there is a pair of huge concrete ears for audio ranging of approaching Zeppelins. Defnintely worth finding!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2013 01:45:21 »
... Somewhere around Shoeburyness  I believe there is a pair of huge concrete ears for audio ranging of approaching Zeppelins. Defnintely worth finding!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_mirror  [?]

Japanese mobile version ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_tuba
« Last Edit: 30/08/2013 01:47:37 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2013 12:09:14 »
I did not of course want a fully functional rebuild only the antenna towers rebuilt and a small museum with simulated displays and information as to what a significant part this system played in the war.

PS I was amused to read that RADAR was invented in 1935 (by the British of course) When research was carried out on systems well before the first war and to read that Germany launched raids against Military and Industrial targets we were told at the time that they were only interested in attacking churches ,hospitals schools etc                                   
« Last Edit: 31/08/2013 12:24:25 by syhprum »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/08/2013 20:15:20 »
... we were told at the time that they were only interested in attacking churches ,hospitals schools etc

Only when they weren't eating babies ...

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2013 10:09:36 »
Only when they weren't eating babies ...

Wasn't that the Irish?

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/09/2013 23:59:20 »
Have to say it would probably have a limited interest by the public and wouldn't be worth the cost...sadly.   

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2013 17:23:32 »
There is some interest in the WWI and WWII war and warfare.  I remember seeing one of the concrete pill boxes near Cinque Terre.  It was interesting contrasting the "new" next to the old castle nearby.

Somewhere I saw an anti-aircraft arc-light which I thought was quite interesting. 

A radar museum and early warning radar system might be interesting.  It could, of course, be moved and combined as part of another WWII museum with both displays of the screens and displays of the antennas.  Could you watch aircraft coming and going at a place like Heathrow, perhaps contrasting 1940 technology with 2000's technology.

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2013 19:06:55 »
I went to the Liverpool War Museum...   http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/  ... and sadly I was the only visitor at the time.    But maybe Duxford would be the place as it gets thousands of visitors.     The book Secret War by Brian Johnston is a MUST if you interested in WW2 Radar, knickebien, Enigma, V1s and V2s and other technologies...     ISBN 0-09-920790-7

http://www1.dragonet.es/users/markbcki/johnson.htm

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2013 19:13:09 »
If you do go to Duxford visit the ham radio station and say you are interested in WW2 radio and radar and you may be taken to a hut full of old radio/radar equipment not normally shown to the public.   

http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2013 19:13:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums