The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What, on Earth, is The Human Consciousness?  (Read 308802 times)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What, on Earth, is The Human Consciousness?
« Reply #1725 on: 10/01/2014 21:57:31 »
The “scientific worldview”
is a fiction invented by DonQ's favorite authors. There is no such thing.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: 11/01/2014 01:49:56 »
Bye .....forever, i mean it this time .
Oh noes; he's gone, for the last time - again!  [:o)]

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: 11/01/2014 16:23:49 »

Yeah, right , materialism has been assuming that consciousness is just neuronal brain activity , silly me .

What has all that to do with science ?

Has the latter ever been able to link our own subjective conscious states experiences ... to  neurons or to ensemble of neurons ? Obviously ...not .

And how can neurochemistry ever give rise to qualitative subjective conscious experiences ,states ...?

How does your collapsing wave do it?

I think the real reason you are cutting out is you've painted yourself into a corner. At some point in your reading of different quantum theorists, you probably realized they aren't suggesting a portal to the Platonic realm of ideas, where conscious agencies frolic about freely.

At best with quantum consciousness you get veto power over brain states representing certain options or scenarios -  you get to decide which materialist process you fancy. You don't really get to entirely opt out of it.

« Last Edit: 11/01/2014 16:25:23 by cheryl j »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: 17/01/2014 00:56:05 »

Today from Science Daily:

Discovery of Quantum Vibrations in 'Microtubules' Inside Brain Neurons Supports Controversial Theory of Consciousness

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

(Maybe Don went to the conference in the Netherlands.)

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: 17/01/2014 09:48:25 »
Today from Science Daily:

Discovery of Quantum Vibrations in 'Microtubules' Inside Brain Neurons Supports Controversial Theory of Consciousness

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm
I think saying this finding 'supports' the theory is too strong. It hasn't falsified the hypothesis. As far as I can see, there's no evidence yet that these 'quantum vibrations' act in the way required by the hypothesis, and nothing to indicate that consciousness requires that activity.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: 17/01/2014 13:51:25 »
One comment that seemed odd was that anesthesia "selectively" affects conscious brain activity. If that was true, you wouldn't really need an anesthesiologist hovering over you in the OR making sure your heart doesn't stop.

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: 18/01/2014 05:55:57 »
Just been reading a Schrodinger biography and he believed in a collective unconsciousness. Just thought I'd add that.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: 18/01/2014 07:12:13 »
Just been reading a Schrodinger biography and he believed in a collective unconsciousness. Just thought I'd add that.
yeah, I've read that too. But I don't know what he meant by it - a genuine pan-psychic belief, or just that brains are hard wired to interpret things in certain ways.

When my daughter was little (about 2 or 3) I asked her: "You know you came out of my tummy, right? But where do you think mom and dad came from?"
 She said "Oh, well, you were a fish that swam in the lake, (we live on an island) and dad was a tree that grew out of the ground." Oddly, she was kind of right. Her dad did grew up here, and I came from somewhere else, across the lake.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: 24/01/2014 12:58:46 »
Very interesting link Cheryl. You can relate an idea of consciousness to something involving indeterminacy, although to get to a linearly acting universe, using 'forces' interacting, you need it acting through a locally defined arrow. From a very strict local point of view, without 'observers' involved, it might become a state of indeterminacy. But to get to outcomes I need a arrow.
=

As well as 'frames of reference', interacting.

As for your kids thoughts, they are not that different from our 'older ways' of thinking. The one in where everything has a 'spirit'. She just took it to a new level of consciousness, well, sort of :)

In such a view, (indeterminacy) we still would need to define how outcomes can come to be, though. It does not take away the arrow we perceive. And yeah, it would make us, and everything else, into the 'universe' observing itself. Which is one I fancy myself :)
« Last Edit: 24/01/2014 13:31:12 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1733 on: 24/01/2014 12:58:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums