The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What, on Earth, is The Human Consciousness?  (Read 309625 times)

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What, on Earth, is The Human Consciousness?
« Reply #400 on: 02/10/2013 18:32:59 »
I miss that absurd non-sense of Skyli though haha

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 02/10/2013 18:34:34 »
@  dlorde :
Lost your tongue ? Guess so , very predictable indeed.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 02/10/2013 19:09:55 »
the core true assumption of science  is

Wrong! Science is a process, wholly devoid of assumptions, which are human artefacts.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 02/10/2013 20:16:29 »
the core true assumption of science  is

Wrong! Science is a process, wholly devoid of assumptions, which are human artefacts.

What are you talking about ?
Science is practiced by scientists humans , dude :
See that materialist  dogmatic belief system and materialist meta-paradigm dominating in science .
But , i was talking about somethingelse , about the core scientific assumption that the universe is intelligible , an assumption without which there would be no point in trying to explain or understand the universe via science , if the universe is not ...intelligible : the universe is thus .

See this concerning the presumed objectivity in science as well, while you are at it :

Quote : "
Illusions of Objectivity
For those who idealize science, scientists are the epitome of objectivity, rising above the sectarian
divisions and illusions that afflict the rest of humanity. Scientific minds are freed from the normal
limitations of bodies, emotions and social obligations, and can travel beyond the earthbound realm of
the senses to see all nature as if from outside, stripped of subjective qualities. They have godlike,
mathematical knowledge of the vast reaches of space and time, and even of countless universes
beyond our own. Unlike religion, locked in endless conflicts and disputes, science offers a true
understanding of material nature, the only reality there is. Scientists constitute a priesthood superior
to the priesthoods of religions, which maintain their prestige and power by playing on human
ignorance and fear. Scientists stand in the vanguard of human progress, leading humanity onward and
upward to a better and brighter world.
Most scientists are unconscious of the myths, allegories and assumptions that shape their social
roles and political power. These beliefs are implicit rather than explicit. But they are more powerful
because they are so habitual. If they are unconscious, they cannot be questioned; and in so far as they
are collective, shared by the scientific community, there is no incentive to question them.
In the course of this book, I have shown that the materialist philosophy or “the scientific
worldview” is not a vision of undeniable, objective truth. It is a questionable belief system superseded
by the development of the sciences themselves. In this chapter I look at the myths of disembodied
knowledge and scientific objectivity and the ways in which they conflict with the obvious fact that
scientists are people. Sciences are human activities. The assumption that the sciences are uniquely
objective not only distorts the public perception of scientists, but affects scientists’ perception of
themselves. The illusion of objectivity makes scientists prone to deception and self-deception. It
works against the noble ideal of seeking truth."  End Quote :
Source : "Science set free ,10 paths to new discovery " By Rupert Sheldrake : Chapter 11 : The illusions of objectivity .
« Last Edit: 02/10/2013 20:22:19 by DonQuichotte »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 02/10/2013 22:57:17 »
@  dlorde :
You've said nothing worth responding to. 

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 03/10/2013 03:27:06 »

Facts are , per definition, indeniable .

Well, not if they're inaccurate or unproven.

I said that Nagel did prove that obvious indeniable fact to be true in that book of his, didn't i ?

I think you are confusing the definition of a factual statement with what you believe to be a truthful statement. They are not the same. Factual means something that is verifiable by others. The average distance of the moon from Earth is 900 miles. The average distance of the moon from Earth is  252,088 miles. They are both factual statements, but one is definitely more accurate. I can measure it. You can measure it. You brother Bob can measure it.

There are probably "facts" in Nagel's book but I would argue that his proposition in total falls outside of being a verifiable fact.

Ironically, despite Nagel's critique of reductionism or materialism (which admittedly I don't agree with), I don't find anything in his other propositions terribly objectionable or alarming. His "natural teleology," or looking for higher order relationships to explain or  describe phenomena, is not all that revolutionary. They've been doing that in the mathematics of probability and statistics since the 1800s. Pascal's triangle. Gaussian distribution. You don't always have to reduce every part to its most fundamental components, to make predictions or learn something significant about how objects behave en masse.  The weird thing about people in probability and statistics, is they never seem to freak out about why certain mathematical relationships exist, even among random events, or why they pop up again and again in totally unrelated areas. They just say "Oh, good! Now we can make predictions!"

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find Nagel quite the ally you were hoping for. To me at least, these higher order relationships sound suspiciously like emergent properties that you are so scornful of. And I say this because I don't know how one would distinguish between a property that emerges from the interactions between objects, and a property that is somehow imposed on them by the universe in which they inhabit. At anyrate, he does not sound like a supporter of your kind of mystical insight into the nature of reality as a scientific method to learn about consciousness, despite his comments about what it is to be a bat. You better stick with Sheldrake.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Feel free to be as derisive as usual.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 04:36:42 by cheryl j »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 03/10/2013 10:47:55 »

Exactly. Don't confuse the singer with the song. I've played some beautiful songs for some rubbish singers in my time, but I wouldn't blame Kern or Handel for their mistakes.   

But , i was talking about somethingelse , about the core scientific assumption that the universe is intelligible

It appears to be, at least to the intelligent. But it wouldn't matter much it it wasn't. The "core assumption" is made by philosophers, not practitioners, of science, i.e. by people with no required knowledge or understanding of the subject. 

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 03/10/2013 17:10:23 »

Facts are , per definition, indeniable

Well, not if they're inaccurate or unproven.

I said that Nagel did prove that obvious indeniable fact to be true in that book of his, didn't i ?

I think you are confusing the definition of a factual statement with what you believe to be a truthful statement. They are not the same. Factual means something that is verifiable by others. The average distance of the moon from Earth is 900 miles. The average distance of the moon from Earth is  252,088 miles. They are both factual statements, but one is definitely more accurate. I can measure it. You can measure it. You brother Bob can measure it.

There are probably "facts" in Nagel's book but I would argue that his proposition in total falls outside of being a verifiable fact.

Ironically, despite Nagel's critique of reductionism or materialism (which admittedly I don't agree with), I don't find anything in his other propositions terribly objectionable or alarming. His "natural teleology," or looking for higher order relationships to explain or  describe phenomena, is not all that revolutionary. They've been doing that in the mathematics of probability and statistics since the 1800s. Pascal's triangle. Gaussian distribution. You don't always have to reduce every part to its most fundamental components, to make predictions or learn something significant about how objects behave en masse.  The weird thing about people in probability and statistics, is they never seem to freak out about why certain mathematical relationships exist, even among random events, or why they pop up again and again in totally unrelated areas. They just say "Oh, good! Now we can make predictions!"

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find Nagel quite the ally you were hoping for. To me at least, these higher order relationships sound suspiciously like emergent properties that you are so scornful of. And I say this because I don't know how one would distinguish between a property that emerges from the interactions between objects, and a property that is somehow imposed on them by the universe in which they inhabit. At anyrate, he does not sound like a supporter of your kind of mystical insight into the nature of reality as a scientific method to learn about consciousness, despite his comments about what it is to be a bat. You better stick with Sheldrake.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Feel free to be as derisive as usual.
[/quote]

Too much side irrelevant talk and silly denials that say absolutely nothing : an obvious insult to the obvious undeniable  facts on the subject :

I did say , on many occasions  here ,that atheist Nagel's proposed alternative to reductionism is also a false conception of nature , that's obviously doomed to fail as well ,didn't i ?.

Besides , it is an obvious and an undeniable fact that reductionism in science is a false conception of nature that has been superseded even by the physical sciences, modern physics  themselves  ...
See what Sheldrake said here above on the subject .
An obvious and undeniable fact that has been proven to be true by many scientists , thinkers , philosophers , by the physical sciences themselves , by Nagel, by Sheldrake ....
That's not just a statement ,honey : to try to prove to you this fact as being true , is like trying to prove to you that the sun rises from the East ...come on, be serious .
Once again, has science proper even proved the "fact " to be true that reality is exclusively biological physical ? come on, don't be an idiot, sorry = absolutely not= never = ever ,simply because nature or reality cannot be a matter of exclusively biological physical processes or physics and chemistry , otherwise they absolutely cannot account for such processes such as life , consciousness, human cognition .....let alone their origins evolution and emergence = exclusive reductionist or even non-reductionist naturalism can certainly not explain consciousness, life , human cognition ...no way .
Science proper itself will therefore reject materialism as untrue and untenable ...no doubt about that .
Quantum physics , for example, have already been challenging materialism as being untrue and untenable since the 1920's ...
I can elaborate some more on this , and can even provide you with some relevant quotes from prominent scientists '. thinkers' work on the subject  ...concerning the obvious undeniable evidence that proves materialism to be false , beyond  any shadow of a doubt :
But , that's so an obvious and an undeniable fact that it would be an utter waste of time to try to discuss it any further , simply because it's so obvious that materialism is false , and is therefore challenged by the mental side of nature , by consciousness, life ...their emergence origins and evolution ..............
If you cannot see all that , if you cannot see obvious things and facts as such , there is no point in going any further with this discussion,for obvious reasons,  i am afraid .
Just try to read that Nagel's book, that Sheldrake's book at least then :
I am not gonna waste my time to try to make you get rid of your denials , that's neither my job to do , nor a relevant to this discussion thing to do  either  , that's your job and responsibility you gotta deal with , not mine .
« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 17:15:43 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 03/10/2013 17:35:33 »

Exactly. Don't confuse the singer with the song. I've played some beautiful songs for some rubbish singers in my time, but I wouldn't blame Kern or Handel for their mistakes.   

Don't be a naive childish silly  idiot :
There is no such a thing as "science " , not in the sense that it is an alleged independent 'totally objective entity " out there : science is a human activity , a human social activity, a form of culture ...practiced by scientists humans : there is no science without scientists ....
"Science " does not exist independently : that's just a metaphor word used to refer to the work of scientists ...
Did you read or understand what Sheldrake was saying about the illusion of objectivity in science ?
You obviously did not understand that quote , assuming you read it , in the first place to begin with :
Here is another quote from that great book of Sheldrake "Science set free ..." , on the subject , concerning the fact that scientists are just humans  with shortcomings , flaws ...pretty much like any other humans , no super humans :

"Science"  approaches  relative degrees of objectivity or otherwise via scientists : the first cannot exist without the latter , science cannot exist without humans that practice it :

Quote :
"The humanity of scientists
Among the many scientists I have known, some are ruthlessly ambitious, others kind and generous;
some boringly pedantic, others excitingly speculative; some narrow-minded, others visionary; some
cowardly, others brave; some meticulous, others careless; some honest, others deceptive; some
secretive, others open; some original, others unoriginal. In other words, they are people. They vary,
just as other kinds of people vary.
Through studying scientists in action, sociologists of science have revealed that scientists are
indeed like other people. They are subject to social forces and peer-group pressures, and they need
acceptance, funding and, if possible, political influence. Their success does not depend simply on the
ingenuity of their theories or the facts they discover. The facts do not speak for themselves. To be
successful, scientists need rhetorical skills, to build up alliances and win the support of others.10
The historian of science Thomas Kuhn has shown that “normal science” is practiced within a shared
framework of assumptions and agreed practices, a paradigm. Phenomena that do not fit—anomalies—
are routinely dismissed or explained away. Scientists are often dogmatic and prejudiced when
confronted with evidence or ideas that go against their beliefs. They usually ignore what they do not
want to deal with. “Turning a blind eye is the no-nonsense way to deal with potentially troublesome
ideas,” observed the sociologists of science, Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.11 “The meaning of an
experimental result does not … depend only on the care with which it was designed and carried out, it
depends on what people are ready to believe.”12
In disputes between rival scientists, experimental results are rarely decisive on their own. The facts
do not speak for themselves because there is no agreement about the facts. Maybe the method was
flawed, or the apparatus faulty, or the data wrongly interpreted. When a new consensus builds up,
these disputes recede into the background, and the “correct” results are accepted, making it easier for
similar results to be correct.
The determination of the fundamental constants is a case in point. When the speed of light, c,
apparently dropped by 20 kilometers per second from 1928 to 1945, laboratories all around the world
reported measurements close to the consensus value. But when c went up again, laboratories duly
agreed closely with the new consensus (see Chapter 3). Did the speed of light really change? The data
say that it did. But for theoretical reasons it could not really have changed, because it is believed to be
a fundamental constant. Therefore the consensus data must have been flawed. The scientists probably
discarded measurements that didn’t fit, and “corrected” the remaining data until they converged on the
expected value as a result of “intellectual phase locking” (see this page–this page).
An international committee fixed the speed of light by definition in 1972, putting an end to
embarrassing variations. But other constants have continued to vary, especially the Universal
Gravitational Constant, G. So does G really vary? The facts cannot speak for themselves because most
of the measurements are not published. Within individual laboratories, researchers discard unsuitable
data, arriving at the final value by averaging selected measurements. Then an international committee
of experts selects, adjusts and averages the data from different laboratories to arrive at the
internationally recognized “best value” of G. Previous “best values” are consigned to the archives of
science, where they gather dust.13
Anyone who has actually carried out scientific research knows that data are uncertain, that much
depends on the way they are interpreted and that all methods have their limitations. Scientists are used
to having their data and interpretations scrutinized and criticized by anonymous peer reviewers. They
are usually well aware of the uncertainties and limitations of knowledge in their own field.
The illusion of objectivity gains in strength through distance. Biologists, psychologists and social
scientists are notorious for physics envy, seeing physics as far more objective and precise than their
own rather messy fields, where there is so much uncertainty. From the outside, metrology, the branch
of physics concerned with fundamental constants, seems an oasis of certainty. But metrologists
themselves make no such claim: they are preoccupied with variations in measurements, arguments
about the reliability of different methods, and disputes between different laboratories. They achieve a
higher level of precision than scientists studying plants, rats or minds, but their “best values” are still
consensus figures arrived at through processes of subjective evaluation.
The further the distance, the stronger the illusion. Those who are most prone to idealize the
objectivity of scientists are people who know almost nothing about science, people for whom it has
become a kind of religion, their hope of salvation." End Quote .

But , i was talking about somethingelse , about the core scientific assumption that the universe is intelligible

It appears to be, at least to the intelligent. But it wouldn't matter much it it wasn't. The "core assumption" is made by philosophers, not practitioners, of science, i.e. by people with no required knowledge or understanding of the subject.

What are you talking out again ?

I presumed that you were more intelligent than this , come on : unbelievable :

Intelligible  means comprehensible understandable .....that makes sense ...that can be easily understood ...
If the universe was not intelligible , there would be no science , no knowledge in the broader sense , no cognition logic to approach it , no life , no action, no nothing = a paradox = the universe is intelligible ,that's why science tries to understand explain it , but materialism cripples that wonderful capacity of science ...

God ...

« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 17:44:55 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 03/10/2013 17:48:42 »
What's going on with you today , people ?
You are  way below the required level today : you also were all along   in fact , but in lesser degrees than today , how come ?

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 03/10/2013 17:57:59 »
@  dlorde :
You've said nothing worth responding to.

This is the most stupid statement you have ever uttered   here so far : way to go, man .
Are you blind or just dumb ?
Oh, how could i miss this unbelievable non-sense : tragic-hilarious .
Really ? haha :
Your own definition of "worth " is staggering : it made me laugh to the point that it brought tears to my eyes ...hahah
God ...
Thank you for confirming my "pic " of you indeed : just have the decency to remain silent then : you , obviously , have nothing interesting to offer , i see .
Your abscence or silence were  more eloquent though ...but, not in the way you might interpret or rather misinterpret  the latter .
Just keep it that way then.
Byyyyeeee

« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 18:00:41 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 03/10/2013 19:39:33 »
There is no such a thing as "science "

Please don't tell my clients. They think it is what I do all day, every day, for money.

If they thought I was just trotting out vapid -isms and not solving problems by the application of science, they might not pay me (though I could make a living as a politician, priest or management consultant)
« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 19:41:44 by alancalverd »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 03/10/2013 20:12:49 »

Please don't tell my clients. They think it is what I do all day, every day, for money.

If they thought I was just trotting out vapid -isms and not solving problems by the application of science, they might not pay me (though I could make a living as a politician, priest or management consultant)

Don't take my words out of context , please : read what Sheldrake had to say about all that ,i did quote for you, just for your blue eyes .
Your understanding or rather misinderstanding of what science is , how it works , and by whom it is actually practiced  , is simply ...staggering though : i pity your clients in that regard .

« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 20:15:49 by DonQuichotte »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 03/10/2013 21:37:01 »

Don't take my words out of context , please : read what Sheldrake had to say about all that ,i did quote for you, just for your blue eyes .
Your understanding or rather misinderstanding of what science is , how it works , and by whom it is actually practiced  , is simply ...staggering though : i pity your clients in that regard .

What makes you think he has blue eyes?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 03/10/2013 21:56:24 »
...or that I don't understand what I do for a living?

As I thought, DonQ is a philosopher, that is, a person whose mission is to infect others with his ignorance - a sort of intellectual Munchausen by Proxy. A miserable calling, doomed forever to tell other people that they "just don't understand", but unlike teenagers, philosophers never grow up or acquire the humility and wisdom that science - or even normal life - confer on others.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 03/10/2013 22:07:48 »

Too much side irrelevant talk and silly denials that say absolutely nothing : an obvious insult to the obvious undeniable  facts on the subject:

I did say , on many occasions  here ,that atheist Nagel's proposed alternative to reductionism is also a false conception of nature , that's obviously doomed to fail as well ,didn't i ?.

Besides , it is an obvious and an undeniable fact that reductionism in science is a false conception of nature that has been superseded even by the physical sciences, modern physics  themselves  ...
An obvious and undeniable fact that has been proven to be true by many scientists , thinkers , philosophers , by the physical sciences themselves , by Nagel, by Sheldrake ....
That's not just a statement ,honey : to try to prove to you this fact as being true , is like trying to prove to you that the sun rises from the East ...come on, be serious .
Once again, has science proper even proved the "fact " to be true that reality is exclusively biological physical ? come on, don't be an idiot, sorry = absolutely not= never = ever ,simply because nature or reality cannot be a matter of exclusively biological physical processes or physics and chemistry , otherwise they absolutely cannot account for such processes such as life , consciousness, human cognition .....let alone their origins evolution and emergence = exclusive reductionist or even non-reductionist naturalism can certainly not explain consciousness, life , human cognition ...no way .
Science proper itself will therefore reject materialism as untrue and untenable ...no doubt about that .
Quantum physics , for example, have already been challenging materialism as being untrue and untenable since the 1920's ...
I can elaborate some more on this , and can even provide you with some relevant quotes from prominent scientists '. thinkers' work on the subject  ...concerning the obvious undeniable evidence that proves materialism to be false , beyond  any shadow of a doubt :
But , that's so an obvious and an undeniable fact that it would be an utter waste of time to try to discuss it any further , simply because it's so obvious that materialism is false , and is therefore challenged by the mental side of nature , by consciousness, life ...their emergence origins and evolution ..............
If you cannot see all that , if you cannot see obvious things and facts as such , there is no point in going any further with this discussion,for obvious reasons,  i am afraid .
I am not gonna waste my time to try to make you get rid of your denials , that's neither my job to do , nor a relevant to this discussion thing to do  either  , that's your job and responsibility you gotta deal with , not mine .

Don't worry your pretty little head about it, Don. I'll be fine if the Complete Works of Rupert Sheldrake are missing from my science library. But I'm glad you realize the atheist, Nagel, is not really your boy. He might be cranky when it comes to science, but he's almost rational. I would suggest Deepak Chopra but, dang it, he's the wrong religion.

I can't help but  notice a pattern with you. People actually think about what you say and try to respond in some logical way. I recall several interesting responses, for example, to your frequent comments regarding what physics has proved regarding consciousness. And you never address comments like that directly. There's never any counter argument that specifically addresses assertions point by point, or even one you feel worth pursuing. You either totally ignore it, or just restate your original argument that materialism is a false misconception of nature which has hijacked science proper and so on. Or you respond by saying they are "confused"  "don't get it" "irrelevant" "stupid"  or "childish" (and the best!) "twisting your words." I suspect you do this when you are backed into a corner, or are just too lazy to come up with a response - "I cannot be bothered by people who do not accept my brilliance without question!" 
« Last Edit: 03/10/2013 22:58:44 by cheryl j »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 03/10/2013 22:15:57 »
"I cannot be bothered by people who do not accept my brilliance without question!"

Just like every other philosopher it has ever been my displeasure to meet!

However, much as I despise philosphers, I admire successful soldiers, so in the true spirit of cut and paste, here's a quickie from Mao Tse Tung (1957)

....the metaphysical method should not be used, but efforts should be made to apply the dialectical method. What is needed is scienmtific analysis and convincing argument

I think on a majority vote, Mao with a billion followers and a major revolutionary war to show for his efforts, trumps Sheldrake. 
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 10:12:26 by alancalverd »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 04/10/2013 18:00:16 »

What makes you think he has blue eyes?

That was just a metaphor , a figure of speech ,you mechanic silly sis .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 04/10/2013 18:11:34 »
...or that I don't understand what I do for a living?

As I thought, DonQ is a philosopher, that is, a person whose mission is to infect others with his ignorance - a sort of intellectual Munchausen by Proxy. A miserable calling, doomed forever to tell other people that they "just don't understand", but unlike teenagers, philosophers never grow up or acquire the humility and wisdom that science - or even normal life - confer on others.

I am no philsopher ,dude , and i was just correcting your errors of understanding and judgement , that's all : you do not have to take it like this : we all make errors , we are all relatively ignorant ....
Nobody is perfect .
But, when one pretends to know this or that  about something , one gotta prove that to be true : in your case , you do not seem to know much about what science is , what its limitations are , its role or function ...
Science is not about wisdom either ...

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 04/10/2013 18:33:28 »
Please try to be consistent. On the one hand you say there is no such thing as science, and on the other you tell a professional scientist that he doesn't know what it is, or what it can be used for.

Only a priest, philosopher or a politician would consider such selfcontradiction to be normal or acceptable, but since you claim not to be a philosopher I must conclude that you are either a member of one of the other two despicable professions, or insane.  I will not insult you by suggesting that you are a priest or a politician.

« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 18:37:34 by alancalverd »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: 04/10/2013 19:22:46 »

Too much side irrelevant talk and silly denials that say absolutely nothing : an obvious insult to the obvious undeniable  facts on the subject:

Don't worry your pretty little head about it, Don. I'll be fine if the Complete Works of Rupert Sheldrake are missing from my science library. But I'm glad you realize the atheist, Nagel, is not really your boy. He might be cranky when it comes to science, but he's almost rational. I would suggest Deepak Chopra but, dang it, he's the wrong religion.

How sweet of you , honey :
You know : by the way :
 I have "The believing brain " book of atheist Michael Schermer  you would most certainly love  , and the audio of that book of his read by his own voice , by himself in person thus :
That's a typical major example of materialism in science at work :
But , i do agree with some of his ideas , insights ...in that book of his   though , while rejecting most , if not all,  of his materialist allegations or materialist belief system he confuses with science proper ,inevitably :
He said, in that book of his, for example, that we are all attracted by some ideas , beliefs in the broader sense , insights , facts ...while rejecting others , via our likes and dilsikes , via our psychological tendencies and pre-dispositions in that regard ...
He's right about that obvious fact , that explains , partly, why you, Cheryl, are attracted by materialism , and i am  certainly and absolutely  not ...
That explains , partly, why you disregard obvious undeniable facts regarding the fact that the materialist conception of nature is false ...
Anyway :
 That said :
Do not worry : i am not the type of person who might idolize certain types of  scientists , thinkers ...no matter how brilliant they might ever be : i am only interested in their innovative creative relatively convincing ideas,i am not obssessed with them as some sort of fetish idols, no way :
I know that certain scientists , thinkers ...might be wrong on  this ,and might   be right on that as well , nobody is perfect indeed :
I am just interested in some of their ideas , lines of evidence , insights ...i do get inspired by , that's all : ideas , lines of evidence , insights ...that just help me ,or rather inspire me on my own search path .
 I am just a restless dynamic truth seeker, i hope i am in fact anyway  : i can hunt down the truth ,no matter  where  it might try to hide or reveal itself , and no matter by whom it would try to do  so   : i would chase the truth even in the very dark terrifying  ugly heart of the devil in person as well haha .
We should all recognize facts as such ,we should all be driven by the noble search of the truth , no matter how painful ,difficult ,destabilizing ,self-destabilizing or shocking they  might turn out to be in the process or as a result  ,  but that's not how things usually go : see what Sheldrake said about the varying characters of scientists here above on the subject  .
Almost nobody is interested in the truth in fact , whatever the latter might be indeed .

I can't help but  notice a pattern with you. People actually think about what you say and try to respond in some logical way. I recall several interesting responses, for example, to your frequent comments regarding what physics has proved regarding consciousness. And you never address comments like that directly. There's never any counter argument that specifically addresses assertions point by point, or even one you feel worth pursuing. You either totally ignore it, or just restate your original argument that materialism is a false misconception of nature which has hijacked science proper and so on. Or you respond by saying they are "confused"  "don't get it" "irrelevant" "stupid"  or "childish" (and the best!) "twisting your words." I suspect you do this when you are backed into a corner, or are just too lazy to come up with a response - "I cannot be bothered by people who do not accept my brilliance without question!"

No , honey :
It just would take too much time to do what you are asking me to do : it would cost me too much time i cannot afford :
That's 1 of the reasons why i prefer to provide   well informed and relevant sources that  support my allegations , to the people , so, they can conduct their own investigation or research , so to speak, on the matter themselves , that's all .

P.S.: I can give you a safe direct free download link to Sheldrake's very interesting "Science set free ..." ebook , if you want to.
It's an extremely enjoyable charming and interesting book indeed, even though i do not agree with some of Sheldrake's ideas, insights ....
I am very critical in relation to any book i read for that matter , to any ideas , insights ....i am very critical in relation to science and scientists as well ;
I am even very critical in relation to the alleged word of God ...the Qur'an ,so.
I do not idealise or idolize ideas , insights ....let alone people , no matter how bright they might ever be ...simply because scientists , thinkers ... are just human , all too human , as Nietzsche used to say , humans with their own human limitations, flaws , deceptions , self-deceptions , beliefs or world views ...via their limited human capacities or faculties .
The search for the truth , the latter as a  restless endless  dynamic process , can have only 2 absolute certainties in this life at least :
Death is absolutely certain , and the absolute Truth with a big T does exist only after death, i guess  .
So, nobody possesses the truth or has the monoply of the truth , as materialism and other world views, people ....delude self-deceive themselves into believing they do and have .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 04/10/2013 19:38:58 »
Please try to be consistent. On the one hand you say there is no such thing as science, and on the other you tell a professional scientist that he doesn't know what it is, or what it can be used for.

Only a priest, philosopher or a politician would consider such selfcontradiction to be normal or acceptable, but since you claim not to be a philosopher I must conclude that you are either a member of one of the other two despicable professions, or insane.  I will not insult you by suggesting that you are a priest or a politician.

Absurd specualtions of yours : do not allow yourself to be carried away by emotions, hurt pain , ...ego ...
I am , in fact , very skeptical about your allegation that you are a pro scientist : how can that be ? : you might be one , but a very ignorant one regarding the nature of science , its alleged objectivity, its limitations, its role and function ...not to mention that you do confuse science proper with materialism as a false conception of nature , to say just that .
I was just stating what i thought to be facts extracted from your own replies on the subject .
Science is simply  the scientific method used by scientists humans , science is not an entity, let alone an independent entity out there , scientific method used and practiced by scientists humans via their human shortcomings, flaws , via their human limitations ...despite the advances of technology that relatively extend the scope and reach of those human limitations ...despite the fact that the scientific method used by scientists , is highly disciplined methodic , and despite the fact that scientific results are verifiable reproducible, falsifiable ...

I said : science does not exist as such , not in the sense that it is an alleged "totally objective entity " out there : there is no science in that sense at least , just the scientific method as an effective and unparalleled tool to try to explain and understand the universe , a scientific method used by scientists humans ...once again .
Quantum mechanics , for example, had shown that scientific experiments or scientific observations ...are changed by the scientist observer , by just looking at them :
I will give you a relevant quote on the subject , from Sheldrake 's above mentioned book , if you wish so .

I was just responding to your uninformed and wrong allegations , especially to those concerning the "fact " that science "is wholly devoid of assumptions ", as you put it earlier at least ,  ( I referred you to that materialist dogmatic belief system dominating in science , to that materialist dominating meta-paradigm in science , to relevant quotes of Sheldrake's book on the subject ...concerning the illusion of objectivity in science , concerning the obvious human character of scientists ...) , to the fact that you stated that intelligibility of the universe is irrelevant to science (How can that be , since the core assumption of science rests on the fact , or rather on the scientific core true assumption that the universe is intelligible ) , ....
Instead of reacting this absurd emotional rhetorical  way , just try to prove me wrong then ...scientifically then, since you do claim to be a pro scientist : just try to disprove the above...scientifically , not via emotions or via silly absurd rhetorics or   via wild speculations  .
Good luck indeed .

Your views concerning the nature of science , its alleged objectivity that's presumably totally devoid of assumptions  ......concerning the limitations , function and role of science are simply staggering , once again, the more when an alleged  self-declared pro scientist such as yourself would utter them = you are making your "case" only worse thus .
Neither of your  "despicable ",as you put it least ,  above mentioned professions are mine .

« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 20:05:56 by DonQuichotte »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: 04/10/2013 21:46:52 »
Any one of these articles has information about a finding or experiment that is vastly more useful, and just plain interesting, than anything Sheldrake has come up with, or in Nagel's curmudgeon-ish book.  Even the article on crickets.

Did You Have a Good Time? We Know Where You'll Store the Memory of It
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131002092301.htm

Thinking Crickets: 'Cognitive' Processes Underlie Memory Recall In Crickets
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090803193645.htm

Not What You Consciously Thought: How We Can Do Math Problems and Read Phrases Nonconsciously http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121114083930.htm

How Brain Activity Changes When Anesthesia Induces Unconsciousness
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121105151338.htm

Aiming To Avoid Damage To Neurocognitive Areas Of The Brain During Cranial Radiation
(Unless your consciousness is immaterial, then it's no problem)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091103112403.htm

How Old Memories Fade Away
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130918180925.htm

Social Reasoning And Brain Development Are Linked In Preschoolers
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090715074928.htm

Well-Connected Hemispheres of Einstein's Brain May Have Sparked His Brilliance
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131004104754.htm

Neuroscientists Find a Key to Reducing Forgetting: It's About the Network
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829123444.htm

Early Scents Really Do Get 'Etched' In The Brain http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105132448.htm

People Control Thoughts Better When They See Their Brain Activity
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110408101740.htm

Covert Operations: Your Brain Digitally Remastered for Clarity of Thought
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130921092234.htm

Can't Place That Face?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100728151429.htm

Flatworms Remember Their Surroundings, Even After Being Decapitated and Growing a New Head.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=flatworms-recall-familiar-environs-even-after-losing-their-heads

Long Memories in Brain Activity Explain Streaks in Individual Behavior
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130212075220.htm
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 21:48:36 by cheryl j »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 04/10/2013 22:42:47 »
Any one of these articles has information about a finding or experiment that is vastly more useful, and just plain interesting, than anything Sheldrake has come up with, or in Nagel's curmudgeon-ish book.  Even the article on crickets.

Did You Have a Good Time? We Know Where You'll Store the Memory of It
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131002092301.htm

Thinking Crickets: 'Cognitive' Processes Underlie Memory Recall In Crickets
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090803193645.htm

Not What You Consciously Thought: How We Can Do Math Problems and Read Phrases Nonconsciously http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121114083930.htm

How Brain Activity Changes When Anesthesia Induces Unconsciousness
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121105151338.htm

Aiming To Avoid Damage To Neurocognitive Areas Of The Brain During Cranial Radiation
(Unless your consciousness is immaterial, then it's no problem)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091103112403.htm

How Old Memories Fade Away
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130918180925.htm

Social Reasoning And Brain Development Are Linked In Preschoolers
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090715074928.htm

Well-Connected Hemispheres of Einstein's Brain May Have Sparked His Brilliance
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131004104754.htm

Neuroscientists Find a Key to Reducing Forgetting: It's About the Network
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829123444.htm

Early Scents Really Do Get 'Etched' In The Brain http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105132448.htm

People Control Thoughts Better When They See Their Brain Activity
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110408101740.htm

Covert Operations: Your Brain Digitally Remastered for Clarity of Thought
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130921092234.htm

Can't Place That Face?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100728151429.htm

Flatworms Remember Their Surroundings, Even After Being Decapitated and Growing a New Head.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=flatworms-recall-familiar-environs-even-after-losing-their-heads

Long Memories in Brain Activity Explain Streaks in Individual Behavior
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130212075220.htm

Deja-vu :
Damn : how come i can't  find Obama or his memories inside of my tv ? ,silly me : i did look for them  so hard though   there : i did even cause the malfunction of my tv as a result ,by trying to totally reverse -engineer my tv  , in vain :  the whole world would be at my mercy if i can get access to Obama's memory or secrets , to the US' state secrets ,or to the CIA's stored  memories inside of CNN news channel ,inside of my tv haha

Cheryl : you do owe me a tv : i destroyed mine during that search ,thanks to you.
I sincerly hope (kidding again ) that that simple minded Skyli is not watching right now haha : he would believe in the "obvious truths revealed by these links of yours" so easily without ever using his critical mind , if he happens to have one at least , no offense , just kidding , "revealed truths by these links of yours " as real breakthroughs humanity has been waiting for all along   , i am afraid : Skyli : don't haha = that would mean that everything is just chemistry and physics = God does not exist thus haha ,or maybe is God just physics and chemistry though .

Deja-vu thus :
 We get bombarded  by such materialist misinterpretations of scientific experiments , scientific results , all day and night  long , honey  :
Well, dear pretty charming sis ,or materialist nice magical wich : kidding :
The above is just a logical extension of the materialist misconception of nature , of the materialist dogmatic belief system dominating in science , and of the materialist meta-paradigm in science, we have been talking about all along : reducing everything to just physics and chemistry : memory , consciousness, life, human cognition, conscience , feelings , emotions   ...cannot be reduced to just physics and chemistry : love neither.

I can make the whole internet full of similar "findigns " ,sweetie : that's the mainstream dominant view or orthodox materialist belief in science  by the way  ,that materialist approach that has absolutely nothing to do with science proper , ,under that materialist dominance in science , that's what i have been talking about all along : i see that by just taking a quick look at the first parts of your first link here above = materialism in science at work : pleasant-unpleasant memories stored in some  area of the brain haha = hilarious materialist misinterpretation of scientific experiments that gets sold to the people as scientific findigns or scientific results : that's the core issue of this thread , if you haven't noticed yet ,love .
I will take a look at the rest of your links, but i am afraid , they will just be playing the same  boring false noisy music ,via those tasteless materialist false music notes .
Show me where memory is stored then in those specific areas of the brain : how does that memory looks like = just like physics and chemistry, or neuro-physiological-electrochemical processes "emerging " from those  ritual sexy synchronisations oscillations vibrations strip-tease harmonious dances of neurons or of enesemble of neurons haha  ?
Come on, be serious : how can memory that's not a physical thing or process emerge from just chemistry physics ,or that memory can be equated with physical biological processes ?
Hilarious ...
Thanks though .
Good night , sweet Alice : sweet dreams .
Oh, your dreams might be stored as well in your head somewhere : they are just physics and chemistry : you might as well store them in a tube somewhere ...
What kindda  sane intelligent person can see memory at least , as just physics and chemistry ? Right , only materialists can , ironically incredibly amusignly unbelievably enough .
Bye, love .

« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 22:52:35 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 05/10/2013 16:41:27 »
When is science proper gonna be delivered from that materialist bullshit : amazing .
Reminds me of that great song of Paul Mc Cartney, i guess :
"...Deliverance from the darkness that surrounds us ..." : let's hope for a swift and quick deliverance from the materialist darkness in science and elsewhere that surrounds us indeed .
Materialism as a primitive false  fanatic backward orhodox secular religion  in science and elsewhere ...

Just try to imagine with me , just try to imagine (Reminds me of that other great song , that of John Lennon : Imagine ), just try to imagine the exact sciences , human sciences : political science , economics , sociology, anthropology , psychology ...the science of history ...+ art and literature ...just try to imagine them all breaking free from that dark backward primitive materialist suffocating secular religion prison without a soul , without any windows , in order to be able to smell the fresh air , under the bright light of the sun :
Just imagine :
That 's 1 of my biggest dreams indeed , much bigger and much wider than that of Martin Luther King indeed ....
Just imagine , imagine that big dream ...coming true : the sky would not even be the ...limit .
« Last Edit: 05/10/2013 16:54:54 by DonQuichotte »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #424 on: 05/10/2013 16:41:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums