The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: does drinking encourage smoking?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline allgoaway

• View Profile
does drinking encourage smoking?
« on: 29/08/2013 03:56:18 »
I quit smoking about two years ago and now even the smell of a cigarette makes me feel a bit sick, so why is it that when I consume alcohol I develop a desire to have a cigarette? Is it all just psychosomatic or is there a physiological reason for it?
« Last Edit: 29/08/2013 04:41:10 by allgoaway »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: does drinking encourage smoking?
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2013 05:56:49 »
I would wonder if it has to do with the environment.

Here, most businesses, including bars no longer allow smoking.  But, were you with a social group that would go to a bar, drink, and smoke together?  Do your local bars still allow smoking?

Do you get the same cravings if you have a glass of wine with dinner?

Offline allgoaway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/09/2013 06:22:53 »
yes you can smoke in the bars where I live but I'm not a social drinker and I've only gone to them 4 or 5 times in the last 2 years. Also it is easer to ignore the wont to smoke around those that I do hang out with.

I should of put in my first post that it's not something I feel from a glass of wine with diner  or a stiff nightcap; but only when I have that all important one to many.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2013 22:39:01 »
Well, drinking does inhibits inhibitions. Perhaps it just makes you less able to pretend you don't want to smoke?

Also, the effects of drinking and smoking are synergistic--a cigarette will hit you harder when drunk than when sober; and the effects of alcohol are also somewhat increased by smoking. I don't think this is a very strong effect, but it could contribute to the effect you describe.

Most likely, I would guess that you used to smoke and drink together. The feeling of being drunk reminds you how much you liked to smoke too.

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2013 18:48:33 »
Yeah, once you're hooked you're pretty well hooked for ever. If you gave in and had a smoke or two, by the end of the week you'd probably be back up to a pack a day.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2013 18:48:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums