The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Moving to another country for healthcare  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Moving to another country for healthcare
« on: 01/09/2013 06:09:12 »
I was wondering if anybody here knew of a way to move to another country in order to get proper healthcare? I.e. if you were disbaled, living on SSDI and were unable to get treated for a medical condition here and only the healthcare in another country would work, how could you move there?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to another country for healthcare
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2013 07:41:57 »
Medical treatment can be cheaper in another country ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism

The odds a foreigner of getting it for free in the UK are slim ... http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/how-much-does-health-tourism-actually-cost-nhs

as UK immigration can refuse entry or deport them to their country of origin ASAP on grounds of poor health  ...

Quote from: homeoffice.gov.uk
Medical

36. A person who intends to remain in the United Kingdom for more than 6 months should normally be referred to the Medical Inspector for examination. If he produces a medical certificate he should be advised to hand it to the Medical Inspector. Any person seeking entry who mentions health or medical treatment as a reason for his visit, or who appears not to be in good mental or physical health, should also be referred to the Medical Inspector; and the Immigration Officer has discretion, which should be exercised sparingly, to refer for examination in any other case.

37. Where the Medical Inspector advises that a person seeking entry is suffering from a specified disease or condition which may interfere with his ability to support himself or his dependants, the Immigration Officer should take account of this, in conjunction with other factors, in deciding whether to admit that person. The Immigration Officer should also take account of the Medical Inspector's assessment of the likely course of treatment in deciding whether a person seeking entry for private medical treatment has sufficient means at his disposal.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part1/
« Last Edit: 01/09/2013 16:32:32 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/09/2013 09:53:44 »
You likely could purchase prescription drugs easier south of the boarder than in the USA.  I don't know about bringing them back into the country for personal use though.  However, "self-medicating" is an extremely dangerous practice, and would be strongly discouraged.

I believe the cost of living is cheaper in Mexico and Central America than in the USA, and retirement savings might go further.

Medicare apparently gives poor coverage outside of the USA.  And, many countries require health insurance or an "ability to pay" prior to issuing a visa. 

However, there apparently is a Medicare exception that allows US residents in border communities to seek health care coverage in Canada if there is no nearby facility in the USA.  I assume there are not many places where the rule would apply.  Perhaps somewhere in Northern Maine, or in Point Roberts, Washington.

You would, of course, have to verify desired treatment programs.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2013 13:05:11 »
I believe that objections to people with health problems moving to another country have to do with burden. If I remain a US citizen I'll still be on disability. The problem that remains is health insurance.

And I have no problems or fear with prescription meds. I know what I need, the amount and how to take them. I just don't need cowardly doctors who are more concerned about getting into trouble that relieving my suffering. My last choice, which I think I've come to, is described at http://www.finalexitnetwork.org/new/exit-guide-program/

Note: I want to make the strong distinction between end of life decisions based on mental illness and end of life decisions based on zero quality of life due to illness. Please do not confuse the two or lecture about mental illness. This is intentionally not the thread for it. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2013 13:38:55 by Pmb »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2013 13:05:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums