The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Seasickness  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Pappy

• View Profile
Seasickness
« on: 13/11/2003 20:17:23 »
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but does anyone have any first hand experience with some of the seasickness remedies on the market? The Patch, a pill, a braclett, I've heard of them all. Which ones work best and how do they work?

I'm getting ready to sign up for a 10 day voyage to Pitcairn Island on a HMS Bounty replica. I'd hate to spend 10 days up-chucking!

Thanks

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Seasickness
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2003 22:08:04 »
My personal experience is the Scopolamine dots that stick on behind your ear work best, but don't use them if you have any prostate problems.

Bezoar
« Last Edit: 13/11/2003 22:09:01 by bezoar »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2003 04:01:23 »
My wife has inner ear trouble and uses Dramamine pills.  I don't think she's tried the patch or braclet though.  

Sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy!

----
John

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2003 01:22:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Pappy

The Patch, a pill, a braclett, I've heard of them all. Which ones work best and how do they work?

Pappy, why not take all three with you?  That way you can try each one for 3 1/3 days and tell us which is best.

Have a blast on your adventure and hopefully there's no mutiny while you're on board.;)

Offline Pappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2003 14:13:40 »
Aye, Donnah...........man the mizzen mast, or whatever. I just might try all three. I wonder if one can O.D. on seasickness remedies?? However, some of the remedies seem somewhat odd....... a bracelett, does it work, how?

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/11/2003 15:56:45 »
How does dramamine work? Does it trick the brain into balancing the eye and ear experience? Just curious.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/11/2003 19:41:03 »
Pappy, is it a magnetic bracelet, a pressure point bracelet, or something else?

Offline Pappy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/11/2003 19:44:24 »
Donnah, from what I understand, it's a pressure point bracellet. Ian's Pappy, good question!!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/11/2003 19:56:16 »
Pressure points are like acupuncture; they affect the energy flow in your body.  By all means try the bracelet, but you can also try placing two fingers on your wrist, just above the base of your thumb.  Now feel above where the two fingers were (if you laid your hand palm side up, it's on the outer part of your forearm, thumb side) and you will feel a little dip, or hollow.  You can apply a little pressure to that point, or massage it a bit.  It will help you feel better.  It works in stressful situations as well, or when you aren't feeling as good as you'd like to.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/11/2003 15:57:10 »
Pappy, I bet you could OD on seasickness meds.  I doubt it for the pressure point type remedies.  I know that dramamine will make you sleepy, so if you get too much you might miss the trip entirely, or just fall overboard!

----
John

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/11/2003 21:08:29 »
I like Bonine better.  It still makes you sleepy, although it claims not to.  I find you're fine as long as you're moving, but when you get inactive, you tend to fall asleep with Bonine.

Ronnie,
Dramamine is an antihistamine.  It causes the same dry mouth that an antihistamine causes, and is a vestibular (inner ear) suppressant.  It reduces the nystagmus (jerky eye movements) due to vestibular imbalance and to increase motion tolerance.  It also has anticholinergic activity, which means it blocks acetylcholine, one of the chemicals that enables nerves to communicate with one another ( neurotransmitter), thus blocking the transmission in the nervous system that initiates the motion sickness.  It is usually ineffective if given after the vomiting begins.

Bezoar
« Last Edit: 19/11/2003 21:14:35 by bezoar »

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20/11/2003 07:20:06 »
Interesting. Thank you, Nancy.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #12 on: 20/11/2003 22:20:38 »
Hey Ronnie

you've been a bit quiet lately - are you okay ? Or are you fraternising with the participants of another forum you whore ;)

i hope all is well

chris:)

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 20/11/2003 22:20:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums