The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is this idea good, to put poison to food?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline niebieskieucho

• View Profile
    • Independent Research
Is this idea good, to put poison to food?
« on: 13/09/2013 22:04:32 »
We generally got used to a wide range of different kinds of chemicals added to food (making food more crap than food of course). Some toxic less, the other more. However, all of them are needless for human organism. Don't you think so? But adding poison to food, seems to be an exaggeration. See below material:
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/08/16/fda-finally-admits-chicken-meat-contains-cancer-causing-arsenic [nofollow]

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is this idea good, to put poison to food?
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2013 23:38:38 »
There are a lot of preservatives added to food, and perhaps there should be better FDA oversight of the preservatives.

One of the issues with Melamine in China is that it can be added to the livestock food, then pass through the livestock and enter the human food supplies.  No doubt the chicken arsenic is similar.  What is the dose?  What are the EPA exposure limits?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/09/2013 01:36:31 »
There's detectable arsenic in some wines, and radium in brazil nuts. Lord only knows what is in eggs: the rules say that an egg is a natural product therefore safe, regardless of what you fed to the chicken.

1 in 4 UK residents die from cancer, because thanks to food hygeine and a few other things, we don't die from anything much else.

Two things can kill you through diet: too much of what you like, or not enough of what you need. I'd go for the first option every tme. 

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2013 01:56:11 »
Some jurisdictions ban whole milk from a cow, although it is kept clean so people drinking it don't get sick. Meanwhile, it is legal to sell milk that is contaminated with feces and urine, but is pasteurized so you don't get sick from it.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2013 10:09:00 »
Just keeping it "clean", i.e preventing foreign material entering after collection, doesn't get rid of the endogenous bacteria that can make you sick - bovine tuberculosis being the one most people care about.

Fecal contamination is interesting. There's plenty of evidence that variant CJD is transmitted through feces rather than meat, which would explain the anomalous incidence of CJD among vegetarians who work with cattle. 

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/09/2013 19:25:06 »
So I just have to hope that the prions are destroyed by pasteurization - yikes ( and the prions are not destroyed by pasteurization - double yikes! ) Maybe I'll just have the orange juice, thanks.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/09/2013 07:16:49 »
Has anyone actually isolated a prion? Many years since I was involved in this sort of thing, and at the time, prions were just a plausible guess!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/09/2013 08:56:01 »
Has anyone actually isolated a prion? Many years since I was involved in this sort of thing, and at the time, prions were just a plausible guess!

I haven't looked at the research for a few years, but prions are considered to be abnormally folded proteins that are able to coerce other proteins to take the same abnormal conformation. 

The descriptions that I've seen would indicate that the proteins and related genes have been analyzed.   

In the USA, it is no longer legal to feed "meat meal" to most livestock, except perhaps hogs.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/09/2013 12:15:47 »
In the USA, it is no longer legal to feed "meat meal" to most livestock, except perhaps hogs.

"meat meal" difficult to prevent in pigs as they are cannibals  [:0] ... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1695826/

[ I bet that topic's not covered in Peppa Pig  :) ]
« Last Edit: 18/09/2013 12:18:56 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/09/2013 02:47:09 »
Hmmm,
Some people clip the pigs tails, but I don't think we ever had issues with this type of chewing. 

They did like to chew on rubber boots, and of course would root around in the manure (at least when penned up).

Meat Meal, of course, is a powdered meat product made from rendering animal waste, and dead animals to make a concentrated protein supplement that was used in animal feed.  Previously it was thought that the rendering process would kill any disease, but prions are not killed by the process, and it lead to manifestation of the disease, especially in Britain.

Perhaps pigs propensity to chew on stuff has led to some immunity to prion diseases.  Do they carry the CJD protein?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 19/09/2013 02:47:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums