The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is space a mathematical relation or something real?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is space a mathematical relation or something real?
« Reply #25 on: 25/09/2013 16:05:47 »
Quote from: lightarrow
And what is an "object" for you? A mathematic entity or something more? Does it have lenght, width, height?
This is a good question for him since the answer is not trivial. In geometry a "geometric object" is not something you'd imagine it to be. I've seen people in another forum, who thought they knew what they were talking about, rant about their disbelief regarding the definition because it didn't fit in with their pre-established idea about what a geometric object is. I sure got insulted that day, merely because someone was ignorant of a definition (it appeared in MTW the same way I explained it but they basically told me that MTW wasn't to be believed! LOL!!!!)

Can you talk a bit about it? What did they write?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25/09/2013 16:54:24 »
If space is not real, in what ever sense one chooses to define real, how is it possible to bend that which does not exist?

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #27 on: 25/09/2013 17:36:44 »
Quote from: lightarrow
Can you talk a bit about it? What did they write?
Absolutely, my friend. I'm not at home now so I'll have to do this off the cuff. I'll finish when I get hime.

In geometry a geometrical object is something with a set of components and defined according to how those components transform when transforming from one coordinate system to another. The people at the other forum thought that sounded more like a linear transformation than a geometric object. They seemed to have a predetermined idea of what such a thing would be and when it didn't meet their image they started to be jerks about it and started in with the derogatory remarks.

I talked about it here - http://www.thescienceforum.com/physics/36665-definitions.html

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 25/09/2013 17:36:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums