The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What caused my NDE - Near Death Experience?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline redrooster

• View Profile
What caused my NDE - Near Death Experience?
« on: 20/09/2013 04:25:27 »
I had an NDE 42 years ago in Fremantle hospital   xx( I can still remember it clearly,I was absolutely amazed at the time but I didn't tell anyone for obvious reasons. About 20 years later I read in a magazine about NDEs and it described what had happened to me just about exactly,the only difference was who was there to meet them? Reading about other peoples experiences gave me goose bumps knowing they had been there too. Has there been any research done on this? I mean how could different people have the same experience,did this actually happen to me in reality as I think it did or are our brains/body programmed for death! Would that explain it?  By the way I'm not religious,superstitious and I have no history of mental illness.LOL
« Last Edit: 23/09/2013 22:21:26 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: NDE Near Death Experience
« Reply #1 on: 20/09/2013 15:44:06 »
...  how could different people have the same experience,did this actually happen to me in reality as I think it did or are our brains/body programmed for death! Would that explain it?

If the different people are undergoing the same physiological change , inadequate blood supply to their brain , then it is unsurprising that they experience similar symptoms.

Offline redrooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2013 06:17:51 »
From what Ive read a lack of blood to the brain has nothing to do with it,this is from a doctor who had an NDE and from personal experience 3 or 4 years previous to my NDE I got a craypot rope tangled around my neck on a cray fishing boat just as I dropped the craypot over the side and down I went with it being strangled as I went to the bottom.I woke up on the deck coughing up salt water, the skipper who was an Australian champion spear fisherman had dived down and bought me back up and onto the boat and resuscitated me,I was sitting on the side of the boat coughing up the last of the water when the skipper said are you right! I said yeah I think so.He said right back to work LOL  I didn't have an NDE then and my brain was definitely deprived of blood.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2013 13:21:43 »
... I didn't have an NDE then and my brain was definitely deprived of blood.

There are varying degrees brain hypoxia : only a minority of people whose brains are deprived of oxygen [depending on the duration] who survive† will report NDE ...

One study found that 8 to 12 percent of 344 patients resuscitated after suffering cardiac arrest had NDEs ...
http://www.skepdic.com/nde.html

[ † I suspect a NDE will precede death in a higher proportion of cases , but for obvious reasons will not be reported ]

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2013 07:49:05 »
Scientists have studied or gone through NDEs and have published books.
Dr Pim Van Lommel, Dr Eben, Dr Fenwick.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/eben-alexander-harvard-neurosurgeon-proof-of-heaven-afterlife-coma_n_1951475.html

These Drs lean towards the idea that a brain deprived of oxygen does not function to maintain consciousness and that there is no function once blood stops moving.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2013 16:27:40 »
Scientists have studied or gone through NDEs and have published books.
Dr Pim Van Lommel, Dr Eben, Dr Fenwick.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/eben-alexander-harvard-neurosurgeon-proof-of-heaven-afterlife-coma_n_1951475.html

Dr. Eben Alexander's book only $10 - $15 ... http://www.amazon.com/Proof-of-Heaven-ebook/dp/B008AK8FHM

Dr Fenwick also has a book out $10 - $15 ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Dying-Peter-Fenwick/dp/0826499236

Q. Why not make these Earth-shattering revelations available for free on t'internet ?
A. $$$$$

Looks like Dr-A has previous for writing fiction and consequently needs the cash ...

Quote from: wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Alexander
Esquire magazine reported (August 2013 issue) that prior to the publication of Proof of Heaven, Alexander had been terminated or suspended from multiple hospital positions, and had been the subject of several malpractice lawsuits, including at least two involving the alteration of medical records to cover up a medical error
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Alexander_(author)#Criticism
« Last Edit: 23/09/2013 16:45:30 by RD »

Offline Europan Ocean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2013 16:55:46 »
Hopefully since then, he has seen the light.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What caused my NDE - Near Death Experience?
« Reply #7 on: 29/09/2013 20:27:55 »
NDEs can be triggered by inhalation of high concentrations of CO2 ("Meduna's mixture," which is about 80% CO2, 20% O2 was used for this purpose). When the CO2 levels in the body get high enough the brain goes into "safety mode" which can result in feelings of discorporation (leaving one's body), tunnel vision, hallucinations of people/beings and reliving of past experiences. This all passes very quickly when the subject is returned to normal air.

Some people have suggested that the psychedelic compound N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is released from the pineal gland during NDEs. I don't know to what extend this has been verified, but it would certainly explain many of the sights and sensations.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: What caused my NDE - Near Death Experience?
« Reply #7 on: 29/09/2013 20:27:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums