The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can snakes die of their own venom?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can snakes die of their own venom?
« on: 01/10/2013 16:03:52 »
After watching the TV series “Life in Cold Blood” I was wondering how the venomous snakes didn’t poison themselves when they ate their prey. I know they’re not immune to their poison because they don’t use it on each other when they fight for their territory battles for example. I know if animals like ourselves ate food that had been poisoned it would have an adverse effect on us but it doesn’t seem to on snakes. I just wondered why that was, really.
Asked by Beth

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

...or Listen to the Answer or [download as MP3]

« Last Edit: 01/10/2013 16:03:52 by _system »

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can snakes die of their own venom?
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2013 16:03:52 »
We answered this question on the show...

The reason is that the venom snakes use is a protein. Proteins are made up of building blocks of what’s called amino acids. They’re the same stuff, effectively, as your Sunday roast
« Last Edit: 01/10/2013 16:03:52 by _system »

Kofi

None
« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2015 16:56:22 »
Probably not, no. In venomous snakes, injecting venom into a victim is a two-step process. First, obviously, the fangs must make contact. Then, since the venom is stored in glands, it must be excreted by the snake. Thus, it seems highly unlikely that a snake would inject its own venom into itself, unless it's recently gone through a bad break-up or something.

Also, it varies from snake-to-snake, but many species are able to produce their own anti-venom, able to counter any accidents they may encounter.

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2015 16:56:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums