The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I create a Vortex Engine?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Noitartst

• First timers
    • View Profile
How do I create a Vortex Engine?
« on: 04/10/2013 00:53:53 »
So you know, I'm very serious about this project, but what's holding me back is lack of expert help. I have a very specific series of ideas as to how I think it will work, but I'm trying to pick the brains of other, more-informed people than myself. Please don't criticize me for not knowing high math, or the physics of heated fluid, rocketry, etc., because I'm well-aware, and seeking due compensation.

Go ahead and laugh about my hubris if you like, but if you're unwilling to help me try to make my vision work, revise, please don't waste my time; I think I've found a way to harness the power of the cyclone, and if there be some relevantly-knowledged folks around, I'd like to kick some ideas around. That said, if I've got one idea to make my ideas work, well, by all means be unafraid to rip my poor head off.

I've a workshop space available, and do have people who I think are willing to help me build this (I be no handyman), but I need opinions better informed than me. Just as long as your comments are designed to build me up, as opposed to tear down, I will do my best to welcome them.

So, project advisers--any volunteers? We can chew the mental fat in here or in private, but public is best for the greater openness of ideas, which is best for starting out. Heat, pressure, layering, and temperature differential will all be project keys, here, and prototyping will of course be necessary.
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 10:02:11 by chris »

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile

Offline SimpleEngineer

• View Profile
Re: How do I create a Vortex Engine?
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/2013 11:31:23 »
I love this subject.. my colleagues and I discuss this at least once a week..

there is a most wonderful device, seems to give you lots of free energy, (doesnt really.. it just moves energy about).. it is called a vortex separator.. (many names really)

This vortex separator can split warm air and cold air, so you put compressed air in it and you get hot out of one side, and cold out of the other.. no moving parts.. just wonderful, wonderful fluid mechanics at work.

This is the 'answer' to emission reduction, power generation, FTL travel and the cure for cancer all rolled into one.. until you do the calculations.. the energy you put in, is less than the energy you get out.. in ALL cases, the required length for doing anything useful is everything BUT useful, several miles long to reduce CO2 below normal. (umm I am sure any further development of this is going into patents so .. not going to include that info :P)

The best thing for that application is for recovering waste heat and pressure.. (of which there is plenty) and try to not hold your breath for generating more energy than you put in with or without a personal tornado..   

Offline woolyhead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2013 20:39:43 »
OK, what you asked us to do, ie tear your head off without tearing you down, sounds very tricky! But seriously my concerrn is this: do you really understand how the vortex works? Unless you have the maths describing it properly how will you know whether what you intend to do will work any better? The description in the article quoted by Supercryptid doesn't really describe the mechanism very well at all. There seems to be a lot of hand waving with no detail. I accept that you might have a very good way of creating the vortex and don't want to spill the beans to us in case it is stolen from you. Quite understandable. But my advice is to find someone who understands the maths of vortices and is willing to help. Good luck with it anyway.
« Last Edit: 12/11/2013 20:44:45 by woolyhead »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2013 10:30:32 »
I think I prefer the immediate potential of solar updraft towers, which could (perhaps) be transitioned to a vortex solution when the technology is better developed & understood.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2013 10:30:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums