The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Reading into posts  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Reading into posts
« on: 04/10/2013 14:55:35 »
It seems to me that a lot of what goes in forums as far as poor interactions between members go is a function of reading things into comments that just aren't there. It seems to come from having expectations of what one person thinks the other person is assuming or their intent is. It's just the nature of writing.

In the near future when I leave all forums and go somewhere else for this reason. This won't end it but at least I have more experience with this since I've been dealing with this for some 15 years now and I can't tell you just how many times someone has misread what I've written based on what they assumed I meant. So what about voice files instead of actual posts? I don't think a lot of people would like that but I'm not interested in a lot of people in where I'm going, just serious scientists and those who know that it will take more work to learn science than chatting about their favorite band.

Do you think that this kind of thing workable?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Reading into posts
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2013 15:10:25 »
You might manage in a fatuous humanities forum, but you can't communicate equations or drawings by voice, especially across variants in English accents and dialects. Serious science is primarily a visual business. However if you know any blind scientists, engineers or mathematicians, I'd be very interested to know how they manage.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2013 00:25:12 »
You might manage in a fatuous humanities forum, but you can't communicate equations or drawings by voice, especially across variants in English accents and dialects. Serious science is primarily a visual business. However if you know any blind scientists, engineers or mathematicians, I'd be very interested to know how they manage.
Thanks. Equations and diagrams cannot be miscommunicated easily. Only what is written in english and that's what I'm referring to.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2013 00:25:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length