The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I build a devise to fill ballons with helium?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Ozzy369

• First timers
    • View Profile
I am planning on building a piece of technology that inflates 4 9" Latex Balloons. I have done the math and I know it requires 0.25 cubic feet of helium to fill up a balloon. In total that is 1 cubic foot per 4 balloons I believe. My question is where can I purchase things like Helium Canisters that only have enough helium per balloon to inflate the balloons and once they're inflated it releases? Any ideas? If this is in the wrong section my apologies.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I build a devise to fill ballons with helium?
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2013 21:32:12 »
Everything depends on your goals, and the absolute number of these you're producing.

The helium tanks for sale at many department stores in the USA apparently contain enough helium to fill about 50 balloons or so, but I believe at relatively low pressure.

The little CO2 cartridges for paint guns and etc hold the CO2 at about 1000 PSI, or 70 ATM, I think.  You may be able to get one filled with Helium.  If the canister holds about 1 cubic inch of helium, that should fill about 70 cubic inches worth of balloons.  Hmmm, 6*6*6 = 216, so it may come a little short of blowing up a single balloon. 

Perhaps you could find a bit larger cylinder.  The industrial helium cylinders are pressurized to about 2200 PSI. 

Offline woolyhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2013 16:19:40 »
I am planning on building a piece of technology that inflates 4 9" Latex Balloons. I have done the math and I know it requires 0.25 cubic feet of helium to fill up a balloon. In total that is 1 cubic foot per 4 balloons I believe. My question is where can I purchase things like Helium Canisters that only have enough helium per balloon to inflate the balloons and once they're inflated it releases? Any ideas? If this is in the wrong section my apologies.
What about taking your baloons to a shop that sells inflated ones and asking them to do it, for a fee, maybe?
« Last Edit: 12/11/2013 17:12:20 by woolyhead »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2013 16:19:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums