The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could this cure Diabetes and Tom Hanks?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline profound

• View Profile
Could this cure Diabetes and Tom Hanks?
« on: 10/10/2013 22:41:15 »
The world famous multimillionaire actor Tom Hanks has just announced that he been diagnosed with diabetes it has been reported in the press.He is thought to be worth at least $150 millions.

According to reports he was very angry and disgusted and said it shouldn't have happened to him as he is rich and famous and didn't deserve it.

This shows rich and famous people are not immune to disease and death.This shows that if you have a fat bank balance ,fancy expensive cars , a huge mansion with a swimming pool you can still get disease!

Anyway recently it has been discovered that 20kilohertz ultrasound using piezoelectric speakers/transducers with 4 times 15 minute treatments.

can heal open wound ulcers according to this research with pictures.

Ultrasound Patch Heals Venous Ulcers in Human Trial

"This is an image of a person wearing the therapeutic ultrasound patch used in this study.
Battery operated ultrasound patch delivers therapeutic ultrasound to heal venous ulcers. Image courtesy of Drexel University.

In a small clinical study, researchers administered a new method for treating chronic wounds using a novel ultrasound applicator that can be worn like a band-aid. The applicator delivers low-frequency, low-intensity ultrasound directly to wounds, and was found to significantly accelerate healing in five patients with venous ulcers. Venous ulcers are caused when valves in the veins malfunction, causing blood to pool in the leg instead of returning to the heart. This pooling, called venous stasis, can cause proteins and cells in the vein to leak into the surrounding tissue leading to inflammation and formation of an ulcer"...

Look at the wound pictures.Absolutely Disgusting aren't they?

In order to determine the optimal ultrasound frequency as well as treatment duration, the researchers treated patients with either 15 minutes of 20 kHz ultrasound, 45 minutes of 20 kHz ultrasound, 15 minutes of 100 kHz ultrasound, or 15 minutes of a sham (placebo) ultrasound. The group receiving 15 minutes of 20 kHz ultrasound showed the greatest improvement, with all five patients experiencing complete healing by the fourth treatment.

This image shows changes in the wound size of two venous ulcers either following four treatments of 20 kilohertz ultrasound for fifteen minutes a week or four treatments of a sham placebo treatment. The wound that received the therapeutic ultrasound is completely healed following the fourth treatment, whereas the placebo wound increased in size.
Low-frequency, low-intensity ultrasound heals venous ulcer after four treatments. Image courtesy of Drexel University.
“We were surprised that the group receiving 45 minutes of treatment didn’t achieve the same benefits as the 15 minute group, but sometimes we learn that more is not always better,” said Joshua Samuels, a Ph.D. candidate and lead author of the study. “There may be a dosing effect.”

Anyway i thought in a brilliant flash of  ingenuity if the device can heal or start to chronic wounds maybe this device can heal the pancreas which produces insulin and hence diabetes.

Ant thoughts on this?

Could this device cure Tom Hanks diabetes and save him from slavery to diabetes drugs?

http://www.nibib.nih.gov/news-events/newsroom/ultrasound-patch-heals-venous-ulcers-human-trial
« Last Edit: 10/10/2013 22:52:23 by profound »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Could this cure Diabetes and Tom Hanks?
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2013 22:59:01 »
Anyway i thought in a brilliant flash of  ingenuity if the device can heal or start to chronic wounds maybe this device can heal the pancreas which produces insulin and hence diabetes.

Ant thoughts on this?

Blood vessels / skin and peripheral-nerves can regrow, evident by ulcers healing, but the insulin producing cells in the pancreas don't regrow.

Tom will have to borrow some islet-cells if he does not fancy injecting insulin ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islet_cell_transplantation

Offline profound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2013 16:48:02 »

Ant thoughts on this?

Blood vessels / skin and peripheral-nerves can regrow, evident by ulcers healing, but the insulin producing cells in the pancreas don't regrow.

Tom will have to borrow some islet-cells if he does not fancy injecting insulin ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islet_cell_transplantation

Why don't insulin producing cells regrow?

It is a white person with a ulcer.the left picture is PLACEBO and you can see the dark patches get DARKER.

Placebo means dummy treatment.

The right picture is after FOUR 15 minute treatments.The ulcer is healed/healing.

The rest of the skin shows signs of improving in the skin and has become charcoal/greyish.
However it is not clear if the person is black or white but could be black.

I don't understand why they used white and black when they should have used white/white

on a white person white skin becomes dark after a injury and gradually becomes normal.

This an extreme case where impaired blood circulation has turned skin black but after treatment it becomes grayish.This could be the surface of the skin as the skin underneath may be white.Remember the dead skin must peel of before the white skin becomes visible.i mean the dead skin/tissue has now where else to go if the skin underneath is healing and peels of gradually.

I have already bought a tweeter for $5 with a frequency range of 3500 to 30000 Hertz and a "555 frequency module" from ebay.This module can generate any frequency square wave from 1 hertz to over 250000 hertz for $4.You can even adjust the mark space ratio.

All for under $9.

i will use a variable wall adapter which can gives me a voltage of 3 volts to 12 volts to drive the 555 frequency module which will connected to the tweeter which will placed over a potential ulcer or a potential pancreas.

i say potential because i nether have a ulcer nor diabetes so i cannot test it.

you can also simulate this device using your computers sound card by using free frequency generation software and a high frequency speaker/tweeter with decent output at 20000 hertz or put your computer sound cards output to a hi-fi stereo and use one of the stereo speakers tweeter over the wound.

You can contact the researchers on their facebook page.

Someone will mention safety.Well doctors/nurses routinely use a ULTRASONIC scan to scan babies in the womb and get pictures.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2013 22:34:42 »
.. Why don't insulin producing cells regrow?

Q. Why don't certain things regrow. A. the costs/risks outweigh the benefit ...

The cost of the additional complexity required for such a regenerative ability outweighs the rare occasions when it would be an advantage. [one set of islet cells serves most people a lifetime]

If cells cannot regrow they cannot grow out of control and become cancerous. [ cancer is a leading cause of death ]

It is a white person with a ulcer.the left picture is PLACEBO and you can see the dark patches get DARKER. 

I think it is a black person with hypopigmentation. Autoimmune-disease could directly or indirectly cause hypopigmentation. (Type-1 diabetes is considered to be autoimmune in origin).

The dark patches appearing darker is just due to the different lighting/exposure of the photograph.

Re: these startling experimental ulcer treatment results : one swallow does not make a summer, ( i.e. possibly not a statistically significant number of participants in the trial to prove the treatment was actually effective ).
That they report 45 minute treatment was less effective than a 15 minute treatment makes the whole thing sound iffy to me: that could be explained if the treatment was totally inert and the sample group was too small. NB: Ulcers can heal of their own accord without any treatment.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2013 23:16:25 by RD »

Offline profound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/10/2013 10:16:02 »
.. Why don't insulin producing cells regrow?

Q. Why don't certain things regrow. A. the costs/risks outweigh the benefit ...

The cost of the additional complexity required for such a regenerative ability outweighs the rare occasions when it would be an advantage. [one set of islet cells serves most people a lifetime]

If cells cannot regrow they cannot grow out of control and become cancerous. [ cancer is a leading cause of death ]

I think it is a black person with hypopigmentation. Autoimmune-disease could directly or indirectly cause hypopigmentation. (Type-1 diabetes is considered to be autoimmune in origin).

The dark patches appearing darker is just due to the different lighting/exposure of the photograph.

Re: these startling experimental ulcer treatment results : one swallow does not make a summer, ( i.e. possibly not a statistically significant number of participants in the trial to prove the treatment was actually effective ).
That they report 45 minute treatment was less effective than a 15 minute treatment makes the whole thing sound iffy to me: that could be explained if the treatment was totally inert and the sample group was too small. NB: Ulcers can heal of their own accord without any treatment.

"""If cells cannot regrow they cannot grow out of control and become cancerous"""
you excuse about cancer is a joke.people still get cancer.

your next excuse is ulcers heal automatically.well the ulcers were not healing.that is why they tried this.

your next excuse about 15 minutes is better than 45 minutes is beyond absurd.maybe when doctors inject somebody they should inject a litre of the medicine instead of milliliters.

next time you take medicine when the doctors tells you take 1 tablet i suppose you will take 3 tablets.
i mean 1 tablet sounds a bit iffy????

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/10/2013 11:45:40 »
"""If cells cannot regrow they cannot grow out of control and become cancerous"""
you excuse about cancer is a joke.people still get cancer.

Even more would die of it if cell growth was not restricted.
Things called telomeres in cells limit the number of cell divisions …

Quote from: wikipedia.orgi/Telomere
Telomere shortening in humans can induce replicative senescence, which blocks cell division.
This mechanism appears to prevent … development of cancer in human aged cells by limiting the number of cell divisions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere#Structure.2C_function_and_evolutionary_biology

Human heart cells are another example of cell which don't regrow ...

Quote from: nih.gov
Mammalian cardiac muscle, unlike skeletal muscle, cannot regenerate.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21239247

As a consequence heart cancer (primary cardiac tumour) is as rare as hen's teeth.

your next excuse is ulcers heal automatically.well the ulcers were not healing.that is why they tried this..

I said "Ulcers can heal of their own accord without any treatment", so that some of the ulcers did heal is not proof that the treatment works.  Numerous variables could affect diabetic ulcer healing : glycemic control , nutrition, temperature (time-of-year), how well the wound is cleaned. If the trial had enough participants these factors would cancel-out and the efficacy, or otherwise, of the treatment would be revealed.

your next excuse about 15 minutes is better than 45 minutes is beyond absurd.maybe when doctors inject somebody they should inject a litre of the medicine instead of milliliters. next time you take medicine when the doctors tells you take 1 tablet i suppose you will take 3 tablets.

If I took three sleeping tablets I’d sleep longer than if I took one. If I slept less when I took three tablets than when I took one , then that’s explicable with me taking tablets which aren‘t actually sleeping tablets. That a 45 minute ultrasound treatment is reported as less effective than a 15 minute one is explicable by the “treatment” being inert , and any improvement being due to other variables.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2013 12:03:11 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/10/2013 19:09:04 »
There are two types of Diabetes.

Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune system where people's immune system attacks the islet cells, and the body no longer produces insulin.  The onset of Type 1 diabetes is usually during childhood, or teenage years, and of course, lasts the rest of their life.  Once gone, there would be very little in the pancreas islet cells left to heal, and one would still have the underlying autoimmune disease to deal with.

Type 2 Diabetes is essentially a resistance to insulin, or a state where the insulin is less effective.  It is often associated with obesity, and generally has an onset during the middle-aged adult years.

Tom Hanks apparently has Type 2 Diabetes, so "healing" the pancreas is irrelevant. 

Ulcers on the feet are a major problem for Diabetic patients.  One of my mother's neighbors has a diabetic foot ulcer that hasn't healed for about 6 months.  She is now taking hyperbaric oxygen treatments, and heavy dose antibiotics which seem to be helping a bit.  Anyway, the ultrasound therapy may well benefit diabetes patients with long term complications.

Offline profound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2013 11:04:01 »
There are two types of Diabetes.

Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune system where people's immune system attacks the islet cells, and the body no longer produces insulin.  The onset of Type 1 diabetes is usually during childhood, or teenage years, and of course, lasts the rest of their life.  Once gone, there would be very little in the pancreas islet cells left to heal, and one would still have the underlying autoimmune disease to deal with.

Type 2 Diabetes is essentially a resistance to insulin, or a state where the insulin is less effective.  It is often associated with obesity, and generally has an onset during the middle-aged adult years.

Tom Hanks apparently has Type 2 Diabetes, so "healing" the pancreas is irrelevant. 

Ulcers on the feet are a major problem for Diabetic patients.  One of my mother's neighbors has a diabetic foot ulcer that hasn't healed for about 6 months.  She is now taking hyperbaric oxygen treatments, and heavy dose antibiotics which seem to be helping a bit.  Anyway, the ultrasound therapy may well benefit diabetes patients with long term complications.

why don't tell her about this?

http://www.medsci.org/v07p0029.htm

Back | PDF

Int J Med Sci 2010; 7(1):29-35. doi:10.7150/ijms.7.29

Research Paper

Ultra-low microcurrent in the management of diabetes mellitus, hypertension and chronic wounds: Report of twelve cases and discussion of mechanism of action

Bok Y. Lee1 Corresponding address, Noori AL-Waili2, Dean Stubbs3, Keith Wendell4, Glenn Butler5, Thia AL-Waili6, Ali AL-Waili7

1. Professor, Department of Surgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York and Research Director, Life Support Technology Group, Mount Vernon Hospital, Sound Shore Health System, Mount Vernon, New York;
2. Clinical Research Director, Life Support Technology Group, Mount Vernon Hospital, Sound Shore Health System, Mount Vernon, New York;
3. Medical Director, BodiHealth Technology, North Tamborine QLD, Australia;
4. CEO and Director, American Institute of Regeneration, Simi Valley, California, Mt. Tamborine QLD, Australia;
5. CEO and Research Coordinator, Life Support Technology Group, Mount Vernon Hospital, Sound Shore Health System, Mount Vernon, New York;
6. American Global University of Medical School, Belize;
7. York College, Queens, New York.

but why why why is it resistant to insulin?

and why cannot it be healed.why.

Also by the way i have made the device for under $20.

i wish i could post pictures.

only problem is i don't have ulcers or diabetes so i cannot test it.

my blood sugar after 8 hours was found to be 4.9 and 4.8 on consecutive days.

4 hours after a meal it was 5.7.

divide by 5.55 if you want the other figures.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/10/2013 03:30:43 »
You've managed to jump from ultrasound to electronic stimulation. 

The study you've found, while interesting, has several flaws.

The study is not blinded, with no control group.  Apparently the patients have additional treatment and diet counseling.  12 cases are presented.  Is that all the cases?  How were they selected?  Were any excluded from the trial?  Were any dropped from the trial?

Patients were followed-up with daily measurement of [...] blood glucose level,
Yet, only  HbA1c is reported.

While the reports do indicate a reduction in HbA1c, many of the levels still fall within clinical diabetes, although close to the recommended target levels.

Anyway, anecdotes are great, and may suggest directions for further research, but they are not substitutes for real clinical trials.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 14/10/2013 03:30:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length