The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I convert solar power into mains electricity?  (Read 28689 times)

Offline ravenv12

• First timers
    • View Profile
We have been thinking of ways to save on the light bill. I have been looking to see if this is possible. If we put solar panel On the roof That would we charge 3 batteries And the batteries would be hoped up to a motor and the motor would drive generators can you? hook up like 7 generator together? That would go into a inverter that would run like your computer lights  A.C  also would a ALTERNATOR work the same From a car? Would we have to just use solar panel and batteries how many solar panel does it take to recharge batteries how many batteries would we have to have and solar panel
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 09:17:05 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: How can I convert solar power into mains electricity?
« Reply #1 on: 27/07/2006 11:53:19 »
It would be daft to use the power to drive a motor to turn a generator. At each of those conversion steps chemical - electrical - kinetic - to electrical energy there would be loses resulting in you having virtually no useful energy to show for your efforts and a lot of heat.

It's not necessary to run generators in this way. Electronic inverters are capable of converting solar cell output into mains AC.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2006 02:02:17 »
Raven, please consider conservation as part of your solution regarding reducing your electricity bill. If you want to put up solar panels, by all means do so. But at the same time, you could replace your incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. That step is fairly cheap and would pay for itself in a year or so.After that you would enjoy the financial profit of having a couple dollars or pounds shaved off your electric bill monthly. The bulbs last for years, so you would also save the annoyance of replacing the burned out ones. If you have any old appliances, consider if it is time to replace them with more energy efficient new models. It would not take many years for the energy savings to pay for the purchase price in many cases.
Reach for the low-hanging fruit first. When you run out of low hanging fruit, reach higher.

chris wiegard

Offline rebel

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2006 17:46:44 »
Am at the moment installing a system to run the house lights. A combination of solar and wind power as inexpensive as poss.Solar panel and wind gen both supply batteries, in turn feed inverter on to lights.I found pv solar panels expensive for what they do. I found a cheap wind genny that can deliver 800 watts to the batteries but needs a fair old blow to do it.Hense the pv panel to assist on calm days, of which there are many.TOsave on the light bill is good.To power everything... forget it if u haven;t got loads of cash to throw at it.There are other ways to cut down fuel bill that r not too expensive, the other type of solar panel to heat your water. these you can also build yourself.

Offline Laurie Martin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2009 07:10:23 »
We have been thinking of ways to save on the light bill. I have been looking to see if this is possible. If we put solar panel On the roof That would we charge 3 batteries And the batteries would be hoped up to a motor and the motor would drive generators can you? hook up like 7 generator together? That would go into a inverter that would run like your computer lights  A.C  also would a ALTERNATOR work the same From a car? Would we have to just use solar panel and batteries how many solar panel does it take to recharge batteries how many batteries would we have to have and solar panel

Solar panels usually have 36 cells in them and are made to charge a 12V battery. If you want to charge the batteries via a solar panel(s) plus via a battery charger, the two sources need to be isolated via rectifier diodes to prevent current from the panels flowing into the charger when it is turned off, and current from the charger flowing into the panels when there is no sun.

Two rectifier diodes rated at the max current that each source can deliver will do. Note that either or both may already have diodes internally as part of their design.
Or you can contact the site: [electricspam! P.s, go away! - Mod]
« Last Edit: 05/12/2010 16:34:31 by peppercorn »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/2010 13:36:40 »
Perhaps you could pop around to my gaff to give me an estimate. I shall be here for the next few hours, so I look forward to seeing you.

The adress is:
No 1 Spam Street
London,
UK.

Post Code UR A PE5T

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/2010 15:59:07 »
There is an excellent website (BBS) for renewable energy:

http://www.fieldlines.com/board/

Although, I must admit that they do lean heavily towards wind generation. But, lots of excellent ideas.

There are basically 2 ideologies.
"Grid Attached"
"Off Grid".

If you are attached to the grid, you can use the power company like an infinite battery.  But, you can also end up with a very expensive solar system that is worthless whenever the grid power fails.  You are also liable to connect fees which can often outweigh the value of the energy your generate.

If you are not attached to the grid.  You have to build and maintain a system that will supply 100% of your energy needs.  Often an amount of energy will be wasted due to needing to oversize your system somewhat.

It is possible to run house lighting off of 12V or 24V.  It may be more efficient than using an inverter all the time, especially if you've converted to low power bulbs, or are running a very small system.

(Oh...  I see this post was a little old, bumped by SPAM   [xx(])
« Last Edit: 05/12/2010 16:01:27 by CliffordK »

Offline ross56townsend

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/12/2010 07:24:44 »
As i want to run AC appliances,i have to invest on an inverter.But it cost approximately $50.Does any one know the cheap rate of inverters in small size?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #8 on: 21/12/2010 10:42:25 »
As i want to run AC appliances,i have to invest on an inverter.But it cost approximately $50.Does any one know the cheap rate of inverters in small size?

What size panels (kW) are you using? $50 doesn't sound that bad unless you only have a capacity <250Watts & then you should just choose DC devices to power.  Eg. Charge a car battery to power LED lighting.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23/12/2010 11:40:06 »
For small inverters....  you can get about 700 to 1000 watts, 110V modified sine for about $100.  It should be able to handle computers, printers, small appliances & etc.

I'd probably run the inverter off of a battery rather than directly off of the panels though. 

The prices add up quickly when building a solar system.  Panels, batteries, inverters, etc. 

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/12/2010 12:38:58 »
For small inverters....  you can get about 700 to 1000 watts, 110V modified sine for about $100.  It should be able to handle computers, printers, small appliances & etc.

I'd probably run the inverter off of a battery rather than directly off of the panels though. 

The prices add up quickly when building a solar system.  Panels, batteries, inverters, etc. 
Definitely run inverter from the battery - "solar panels" produce their output voltage by conencting a number of "solar cells" in series.  Should shade (etc.) effect even one cell, the output will be reduced to zero. 

Offline solarexpert

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28/04/2011 07:27:46 »
A wind power generator and solar panel for home use is quickly becoming an attractive option for many environmentally conscious homeowners. Alternative energy sources are looking quite feasible in helping to alleviate both environmental damage and fuel shortage related to the use of fossil fuels. If we manage to develop these budding fields properly, we may eventually wean ourselves off of our reliance on coal, oil, and gas. This will not only stabilize our power generation, but also result in many benefits to the environment as we use renewable, green ways of making energy. Thus, the need for a wind power generator and solar panel for home use. These electricity generators are becoming more and more commonplace as people install more of them both on large and small scales. They are machines that can convert the natural breeze-induced mechanical movements into electricity. Thus, they only need this force of nature to produce energy, which is free, essentially unlimited or renewable, and all natural. This basic concept of harnessing the energy all around us is what lies behind any good renewable energy source.

Offline saroy123

• First timers
    • View Profile
How can I convert solar power into mains electricity?
« Reply #12 on: 13/09/2011 13:15:37 »
Perhaps you could pop around to my gaff to give me an estimate. I shall be here for the next few hours, so I look forward to seeing you.

The adress is:
No 1 Spam Street
London,
UK.

Post Code UR A PE5T

Offline Apple

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04/10/2011 00:48:40 »
well could you run a strong electromagnetic engine  2800 watts and just control the amount of electric going to it with a rheostat.
(i can think of)the only problem is when it doesn't shine and your battier is dead what do you do.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 04/10/2011 00:48:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums