The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will Francium react in the air?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline CrzyChnz

• First timers
    • View Profile
Will Francium react in the air?
« on: 15/10/2013 23:04:06 »
My friend says so and I don't exactly believe him. Little help?

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Re: Will Francium react in the air?
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2013 01:43:55 »
All alkali metals will react with the air to produce an oxide layer on their surface. This will cause a freshly-cut surface on the metal to go from shiny to dull relatively quickly. They won't, however, spontaneously burst into flames or anything (unless the air is, perhaps, rather humid). Francium is likely the same way.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2013 02:49:10 »
Francium will certainly react in the air. It reacts with nitrogen, oxygen water and carbon dioxide (which together compose more than 99% of the air). Will you get a fire? That probably depends on the temperature and humidity of the air, how much of the metal there is, and how much is exposed to the atmosphere.

Chunks of sodium metal do not generally ignite spontaneously, even though they do react with the air pretty quickly. However, sodium powder will ignite spontaneously (I saw someone do this accidentally when removing waste from a glovebox filled with inert atmosphere--the sodium caught fire in less than 2 seconds!)

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2013 08:54:12 »
Francium will decay, even in a vacuum. It produces Radium or Astatine, depending on the isotope of Francium; the most stable isotopes have a half-life of 5 to 22 minutes.
Don't expect to go down to your local chemical supply shop and buy a bottle of Francium!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_francium
« Last Edit: 16/10/2013 08:55:44 by evan_au »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2013 08:54:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums