The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does coffee make me sleepy?  (Read 28012 times)

Frederik Agge Ronex

None
« Reply #25 on: 18/02/2014 08:43:56 »
I have always felt sleepy and more tired after consuming caffeine, no matter if it's in coffee or energy drinks.
I seem to get the feeling that I can relax more easily with caffeine and therefor get sleepy.
When I can't sleep I take 3 double expressos or something like a gult shot and 2 Redbulls.
I've never had a suger rush either.
My theory is a natural need for stimulation, that when caffeine gets the synapses busy, The natural need for stimulation is fufilled and this inner disturbance is satisfied and the Boyd is therefor able to relax more.

Vika

None
« Reply #26 on: 02/03/2014 23:52:08 »
I definitely feel sleepy right after I drink coffee, but I also have this feeling whenever I consume any type of really warm liquid. It doesn't matter if it's warm milk, herbal tea, green tea, black tea, cocoa, soup or plain hot water but warm things make me sleepy.

David

None
« Reply #27 on: 03/03/2014 18:54:58 »
When I drink coffee I feel sleepy straight away unless it's caffeine free why is this

Lori

None
« Reply #28 on: 17/03/2014 21:21:25 »
Usually people with ADHD get tired with caffeine. I'm one of those people. I have to avoid drinking caffeine before I drive, or I will doze off behind the wheel. It's so frustrating! There are no stimulants I can take to help me stay awake, ever.

Lori

None
« Reply #29 on: 17/03/2014 21:22:52 »
Usually people with ADHD get tired with caffeine. I'm one of those people. I have to avoid drinking caffeine before I drive, or I will doze off behind the wheel. It's so frustrating! There are no stimulants I can take to help me stay awake, ever.

Martymo

None
« Reply #30 on: 21/03/2014 13:09:58 »
At work feeling fine. I thought a cup of coffee might perk me up, give a little motivation. By the time I got to the bottom of a cup of strong black coffee, I could barely keep my eyes opened. Repeated the experiment. Same results. Tried it in the morning on my day off. Second cup causes drowsiness. I used to be a 2 pot a day drinker, but cut way down over the years due to decreasing quality and increasing prices.

TWS

None
« Reply #31 on: 07/04/2014 02:54:50 »
My roommate drinks coffee and then falls asleep instantly in the mornings. Caffeine seems to have the reverse effect on them. I drink coke to wake up. We both go to bed at the same time every night (my meds require it) and get 7-9 hours of sleep each night. They still have to take a nap every morning and nothing's helping.

Charles

None
« Reply #32 on: 23/04/2014 13:48:54 »
hey when ever i drink a coffee or energy drink in about 5-10 min i get rather sleepy from it and it does not wake me up in the slightest :( would any of you know what that is?

Mamou Adam

None
« Reply #33 on: 29/04/2014 04:03:18 »
4 hours? whao!!!

I think I am like this gentleman or worse, although I sleep very easily (I don't turn around in bed for hours before falling asleep), I think coffee has a sleeping pills effect on me. I even tried double espresso once but sometimes I am nodding my head as soon as I finish the coffee. May be we are special :)

HH

None
« Reply #34 on: 30/04/2014 19:21:28 »
I have to take a caffeine tablet everyday. Within about 15 minutes after taking it I feel totally wiped out and exhausted, no matter what time of day I take it. This usually lasts about 3-4 hours and then I'm able to move on with my day.  It's not good. It's not a spike, it's an instant crash. I do the same thing watching action movies!  The more action the sleepier I get!  I ALWAYS fall asleep during action flicks and usually right when the hardcore stuff starts rolling. My sister is the same way.  Anyone have an explanation for me?

Tyce

None
« Reply #35 on: 01/05/2014 13:55:15 »
Stimulants have different effects on ADD and ADHD sufferers. Personally, when I take stimulants, I feel calm and centered. This is true for caffeine, most energy drinks, the occasional dabble into cocaine. If you combine that feeling with a bit of sleep deprivation (also a common side effect of ADD) and a belly full of warm liquid, and sleep is right around the corner. I've fallen asleep in my chair at the coffee shop more than once.

Alyssa

None
« Reply #36 on: 06/05/2014 14:21:14 »
I get very sleepy when I drink coffee  at any time of day.

Offline Road

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Why does coffee make me sleepy?
« Reply #37 on: 10/05/2014 06:52:30 »
Hello, I actually have this same issue no matter the time of day if I drink coffee I suddenly get the overwhelming urge to just take a nap. I've found that this happens, to me anyway, because it's warm. The warmth I get from a fresh cup of coffee relaxes me and makes me comfortable enough that I want to rest. I've tested this with ice coffee, hot tea, and ice tea. The cold beverage wakes me up more even if the tea had no caffeine. The hot tea, like the coffee, made me want to sleep.

Vhicks

None
« Reply #38 on: 12/05/2014 15:18:45 »
I drink coffee and immediately get tired. Same with onions. I eat them and they make me tired right away

Darya

None
« Reply #39 on: 09/06/2014 19:30:20 »
I don't drink coffee often, maybe once a week, but when I do it can put me right to sleep! I start feeling very tired even before I'm finished my drink! I've always wondered why. Any ideas?

Court

None
« Reply #40 on: 18/06/2014 07:54:20 »
I am not a big coffee or caffeine drinker.  I'll have a cup of coffee a few times a week or if I'm working swing shift.  About 10 minutes after I have a cup of coffee, my body instantly feels weak and my eyes start to droop.  Every time  I have any sort of caffeine this happens.  I don't know why I still drink coffee, it tastes good to me, but my body has weird affects with it.  It doesn't wake me up.  So if I can't fall asleep at night I instantly go for a cup of coffee.  

Chanel

None
« Reply #41 on: 10/07/2014 22:52:51 »
Coffee relaxes me, drops my blood pressure (measured/confirmed by MD ), and can make me fall asleep within 30 mins or less after consuming it. I'd also like to understand why. This happens Even if I'm well -rested.

Clarity

None
« Reply #42 on: 23/07/2014 06:30:04 »
I immediately feel increasingly tired after drinking caffiene. I recently got back from a road trip where I consumed copious amounts of coffee and Red Bull and then fell promptly asleep, which was not good for driving. I guess in some people it just has opposite effects.

Swazzy

None
« Reply #43 on: 23/08/2014 17:34:16 »
I also drink coffee very rarely, mainly because I dislike the taste of all except the Mocha flavours but I do regularly take caffeine pills known as Pro Plus. My Sleep pattern is sporadic but I also function a lot better on 4-5 hours sleep than I do on 6-8 and I also have a very high metabolism. I to feel extremely sleepy within 30 mins of drinking even the exceptionally strong coffee

Steve

None
« Reply #44 on: 12/09/2014 14:16:35 »
I think there may be something to how coffee reacts with ADD brain wiring. I was not diagnosed ADHD, so, dont have the hyper issue being thrown in reverse by a stimulant. I too get very drowsy while drinking coffee. Less often, I might get a short and very temporary boost, followed by the drowsiness. I have dozed off at my desk at work for a few seconds while consciously fighting to stay awake. This after drinking 2 to 4 cups of coffee each morning. The other benefits I see mentioned, that includes intestinal regularity, I have experienced as well. It also helps clear my throat in the AM from allergy generated sinus drainage. Geez, it is complex!

SaDaF

None
« Reply #45 on: 16/09/2014 14:56:27 »
I have recently started having coffee as my exams are going on.. It makes me sleepy. :( before i used to having tea when needed,but same result.. It made me sleepy in place of waking me up..

Mystgreen

None
« Reply #46 on: 07/10/2014 20:26:26 »
Oddly enough; I frequently drink multiple shots of espresso etc prior to meals to stimulate my digestion which it seems to help.  But when I drink coffee or tea in the evening or at night it also makes me drowsy and does not negatively affect my sleep.

Ben Benson

None
« Reply #47 on: 08/10/2014 05:54:40 »
I found this article because I wondered why the drowsy effect of coffee was so instantaneous and like clockwork for me. It happens 10 to 20 minutes after I drink it. I even had a micro sleep just now, sitting up with my eyes open, shortly after drinking a cup. Before this, I was wide awake and full of energy. I just wanted to drink the coffee for its taste. Other hot drinks and instant coffee DO NOT do this to me, it's specifically plunger coffee or espresso. I have also had paradoxical reactions to other substances, such as a sleeping pill gave me insomnia, it was impossible to sleep for hours, and tequila acts as a stimulant but other spirits are a depressant.

J McDonald

None
« Reply #48 on: 28/10/2014 08:39:21 »
I too suffer from this, I can drink 2-3 cups of coffee and fall into a deep sleep within minutes. Seems to have the opposite effect on me!

Jenoir

None
« Reply #49 on: 28/10/2014 08:52:56 »
I also suffer from this problem. I've read that coffee makes you pee a lot, which makes you dehydrated, your blood thickens, causing you to feel fatigued and fall asleep. Hope this helps!

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #49 on: 28/10/2014 08:52:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length