The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does coffee make me sleepy?  (Read 27965 times)

Barbwyr

None
« Reply #50 on: 08/03/2015 02:29:05 »
If I don't get enough sleep, shortly after drinking coffee I will get in a somnambulant haze.  I feel like I'm hypnotized and have no energy and feel very lethargic.  I recently read something about drinking coffee when your dehydrated can cause further dehydration which can lead to fatigue.  Since this usually happens to me first thing in the morning this might be the cause.

Roz J

None
« Reply #51 on: 10/03/2015 15:35:21 »
I'm always get this - in fact I dont know why I keep drinking the stuff, all it does is make me yawn. Though, if I'm honest, I wouldnt say it makes me sleepy, it just makes me yawn and makes my eyes water, which I misinterpret as sleepiness (though when I think about it I actually feel awake). Could it be that it redced oxygen intake, thus creating side effects that could be associated with sleepiness?

Thieluar

None
« Reply #52 on: 12/03/2015 14:23:41 »
Dammit, all articles I've read are about how coffee makes you sleepy way after drinking it.  My case is that it makes me sleepy almost immediately after drinking it.  Say ten to twenty minutes after I finish a cup of coffee.  I want to know why!

DAW

None
« Reply #53 on: 10/04/2015 10:46:53 »
Coffee makes me sleepy. It certainly does not wake me up, or give me a buzz. I never drank coffee until my thirties. Could it be that as it's high in magnesium, and magnesium relaxes muscles and aids sleep??? Perhaps for some, caffeine doesn't work but the magnesium effect does? Just a thought!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Why does coffee make me sleepy?
« Reply #54 on: 18/04/2015 12:06:12 »
True

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Why does coffee make me sleepy?
« Reply #55 on: 18/04/2015 12:07:49 »
True enough!

diamond

None
« Reply #56 on: 19/04/2015 16:40:34 »
Lately I've been feeling sleepy 30 mins after drinking coffee.this is in the morning of course. I'm not sure what the reason could be, maybe the brand of coffee? Has anyone else experienced this

Payton

None
« Reply #57 on: 29/04/2015 21:55:14 »
I feel extremely tired as soon as I finish a energy drink, to the point of nodding out. But other times I am wired.

Payton

None
« Reply #58 on: 29/04/2015 21:55:58 »
I feel extremely tired as soon as I finish a energy drink, to the point of nodding out. But other times I am wired.

Heather

None
« Reply #59 on: 14/05/2015 03:12:07 »
I have been having the same problem for years.  Even a 1/4 cup of coffee was making me pee a lot and then my eyes would get so tired.  I finally figured out the problem.  The coffee has been dehydrating me.  Perhaps the same reason it can lower blood pressure because it is a diuretic.  I found that I am able to drink coffee now if I eat something salty with it, like olives, and drink plenty of water.

westcoaster

None
« Reply #60 on: 14/05/2015 21:38:21 »
I have one cup per day and start to feel drowsy before I am even finished the cup. And to think I used to drink coffee to stay awake while driving when I was young but never seemed to work for me!

ishnoc

None
« Reply #61 on: 02/06/2015 08:38:24 »
Relieved to know I'm not the only one!
I've always been wondering why everyone drinks coffee and gets a kick from it, whereas when I drink it I immediately get drowsy. Yawning, teary eyes and starts to nod off. This happens minutes after I start drinking the stuff. If I'm tired at the office drinking coffee is guaranteed to make me nod off. This does not happen with tea or other hot beverages.

I have a theory that this comes from long and boring classes at university where I used to sip up to 3 cups of coffe in class order to get throught the 3-4 hour classes we had, thus my body associates drinking coffe with boredom and sleepines, therefore making me drowsy.

Plausible?

Packyman

None
« Reply #62 on: 12/06/2015 14:43:17 »
My theory is that since caffeine is a diuretic and removes 2 cups of water from your body for every 1 cup consumed, the fatigue is caused by dehydration, at least in part (the ADD/ADHD connection seems bona fide, also). If you don't hydrate right away in the morning, considering you've not likely drank any fluids during your normal span of sleeping, you've gone that many hours straight with no fluid intake, which means you're likely dehydrated. Due to medication and a fast metabolism, I'm often dehydrated to some degree if I'm not regularly drinking water, and it makes me quite sleepy. Dehydration also causes constipation - another factor which can cause fatigue. I'm not a scientist or physician; I can only speak from my own experience. My suggestion: if you make your own coffee, drink a glass of water while you wait for the brew to finish. Hydrate first, then caffeinate. See if it helps.

It makes me sleepy, too

None
« Reply #63 on: 08/07/2015 12:34:07 »
I was coffee-dependant from the age of 8 (I started drinking it when I was 7) to the age of 15 when I cut it cold-turkey to see if it helped improve my insomnia. I can't remember if it did make much of a difference aside from messing me up for a couple weeks from withdrawal, but it's been over 2 years and my memory is crappy.
I never got back into it because after not drinking it for a year I found if I had a large cup it'd make my anxiety spike and give me headaches.
Once in a while, though, I do have about half a cup of coffee to try to wake myself up, but I have found that within 10 minutes of drinking it I actually feel MORE sleepy. (With my insomnia since I was young I always feel tired, but rarely sleepy. So it's odd for anything to make me feel like going to bed and passing out.)
My point is, I actually do feel sleepy very soon after having a glass of coffee.  

Henry

None
« Reply #64 on: 11/07/2015 02:08:43 »
Yes I'm one of these people, I googled this topic when sitting in an airport as I am now feeling moderately sleepy after drinking a coffee about 10 minuets earlier. To answer some other questions, I don't drink coffee often; maybe every couple of days but I can feel tired like immediately after, like go to sleep after

gdawg

None
« Reply #65 on: 21/07/2015 09:37:52 »
if I drink coffee anytime after 3pm i start to drift off almost instantly if im comfortable, i can drink it in the morning and wake me up but in the afternoon i need to sleep almost straight after drinking it

Tatiana Khemet

None
« Reply #66 on: 04/08/2015 07:06:32 »
I've never been much of a coffee drinker,  just cause I don't like the way it tastes, but I had some espresso beans in a cold drink recently and felt very tired and sleepy 15-20 minutes later, without any sort of spike im alertness as a result of the caffeine. This happens to my sister as well, is there a genetic explanation?

Mysteryman

None
« Reply #67 on: 08/09/2015 17:47:23 »
Whenever I drink a cup of coffee, I feel sleepy and relaxed for a few minutes (sometimes half an hour), but then I'm wired. I rarely have more than one cup a day, so I have no chemical dependency. I also do not get quite the same effect from hot tea.

Cynthia

None
« Reply #68 on: 09/09/2015 02:22:16 »
I always drink (caffeinated!) coffee in the evenings. I'm a 20 year old, very active female. Everyone I know seems to be mind boggled by the fact that I drink it as a bedtime snack. I always sleep very well.

Girly

None
« Reply #69 on: 09/09/2015 08:31:33 »
well this might surprise many of you but I immediately feel sleepy after drinking coffee or eating too much sugary foods and I must confess, it stresses me a lot. I have never heard of such a thing in my life. I was actually researching why I feel sleepy after drinking coffee when I came across this discussion. I need help!

JonC

None
« Reply #70 on: 23/09/2015 16:20:19 »
I have this problem on occasion. I thought that maybe it was my brain not being able to tell the difference between adenosine and caffeine to such an extent that the reaction usually triggered by adenosine was triggered by the caffeine. Of course, I have next to zero experience with research on neurotransmitters, so I'm pulling this out of the air.

Mark Elder

None
« Reply #71 on: 04/11/2015 02:35:41 »
I drink a widely varying amount of coffee each day. I would find that on days where I drank more coffee, I would actually feel more tired, but I never really thought about it - coffee is meant to have a wide range of positive health benefits, so I'd drink it anyway.

But lately, I've been cutting down - I didn't have any caffeine today until lunch time, when I had a large flat white. 10 minutes later, I'm yawning, wanting to put my head down, whereas I was fully alert beforehand, and that effect lasted at least two hours after I finished it. 3 hours later though, I was back to about the same level of alertness as I had been before I drank it.

Energy drinks don't seem to have the same effect, strangely enough. Perhaps there are other active compounds in the espresso that people usually ignore?

Eli

None
« Reply #72 on: 08/11/2015 18:40:28 »
Coffee has the complete opposite affect on me, I will fall asleep within 10 minutes, I would add half a packet of sweetner/none....

Master

None
« Reply #73 on: 01/12/2015 19:12:44 »
What a crappy article.
I get tired shortly after drinking coffie, but never after drinking caffinated soft drinks.
And I drink quite an amount of cola.

britt

None
« Reply #74 on: 07/12/2015 15:00:56 »
when I drink coffee as soon hit my system i start getting sleepy like i been drugged sometime i pass out before i ever finish my cup. i could be talking or out walking around I will pass out where ever

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #74 on: 07/12/2015 15:00:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums