The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does coffee make me sleepy?  (Read 28072 times)

Meg

None
« Reply #75 on: 08/12/2015 15:38:52 »
I do get tired almost immediately after having coffee. I have adhd & have attributed it to that. What do you think? Hook me up to the brain thingy majigger!

Thomas wyles

None
« Reply #76 on: 10/12/2015 06:19:33 »
I too get very relaxed if I drink coffee at night. But if I drink it in the morning it does somewhat help me focus I wouldn't really say it wakes me up though.

Mwestberg

None
« Reply #77 on: 15/12/2015 07:00:37 »
This has also been my experience with coffee. Waking up at 4:00am  had become a regular problem. After a few months I finally gave in and said, what the heck, I may as well drink coffee and enjoy the time awake. And strangely I fell asleep about an hour later and had the best sleep ever. Now when I can't sleep I make a fresh pot of coffee and then fall asleep for hours.

Diana Saliu

None
« Reply #78 on: 19/12/2015 07:56:50 »
I'll wake up around 8 have my coffee and head back to bed. I don't feel the effects of coffee.

Diana Saliu

None
« Reply #79 on: 19/12/2015 07:58:08 »
I'll wake up around 8 have my coffee and head back to bed. I don't feel the effects of coffee.

Jeff Schoff

None
« Reply #80 on: 21/12/2015 18:35:19 »
I can drink a pot of coffee, drink 2 extra strength energy drinks & IMEDIATELY fall asleep !! NOTHING WORKS !!! I'm sooooo tired of being tired all the time... Rarely do I ever feel 100% awake...

damien

None
« Reply #81 on: 13/01/2016 05:30:35 »
Just Googled this page as I am sick of feeling very sleepy within 20 minutes of having a strong black coffee. I've not even eaten yet today, so it's strange. Anyhow, I've found nothing on the internet to explain this phenomenon so I'm going to take a nap.

kelly

None
« Reply #82 on: 18/01/2016 13:19:55 »
I dont drink coffee but when i do it males me sleep like a baby. Any exsplinatiom for this??

Kerry

None
« Reply #83 on: 31/01/2016 18:15:05 »
Coffee blocks iron absorption .

Shaun

None
« Reply #84 on: 08/02/2016 18:30:46 »
I can be wide awake and drink a cup of coffee and immediately be tired and sluggish

GoodyRea

None
« Reply #85 on: 13/02/2016 07:36:28 »
I'm one of the people who gets sleepy after coffee. Now that I work Noc shift, I don't feel so bad about drinking a small cup, and then getting 6 hours sleep. It still acts as a diuretic for me (thus ONLY 6 hours then pee like a race horse).

AA

None
« Reply #86 on: 27/03/2016 12:33:44 »
Sorry, but this article fails to explain the issue. It often happens to me that I wake up  feeling rested and then after my first few sips of the first coffee in the day, say around 7.30 am I feel suddenly tired and sleepy. Is this a sign that coffee is tiresome for the liver?

Traino

None
« Reply #87 on: 21/04/2016 02:18:04 »
I drink coffee and immediately feel very tired, my head gets stuffy and feel a buzzing feeling in my face around my sinus areas. From what I've managed to work out it can be the oil in coffee beans. Caffeine drinks wake me up.

Erik J.

None
« Reply #88 on: 29/06/2016 17:37:12 »
I'm am one of those rare/odd individuals that gets sleepy after consuming caffeine. I am and have never been a habitual consumer either. A cup of tea once or twice a week, coffee once in a blue moon (I probably cook with it more frequently than I drink it). I discovered this effect when I was about 10yrs old. I drank ~4-5 cups of coffee around 11am or so and about 15min later I was zonked out for a very nice nap as I recall haha. It has been that way ever since, which can be nice sometimes when i'm relaxing with a cup of tea.

From what I've found looking into this conundrum is that this rare effect is mainly/probably genetic. Some scientists discovered a breed/strain w/e of lab rat with a recessive gene (maybe a combination of multiple genes) that is totally immune to caffeine, and with some playing around with breeding these with others also found one that is subdued by caffeine. But, because of our limited knowledge of genetics (drop in the ocean really) we haven't yet identified the specific genes involved nor do we know how those genes create this effect or any other effects it/they might have on our bodies.

Trish

None
« Reply #89 on: 18/07/2016 16:56:28 »
Not always, but sometimes coffee nearly knocks me out! Within 1/2 hr of drinking a cup I can barely keep my eyes open. If I can snooze for 1/2 hr the effect seems to mostly wear off.

Chris

None
« Reply #90 on: 20/08/2016 10:54:08 »
I'm just like Matt. But i believe it is as Bill said, the association with routinely having it before laying down for need

bascott63

None
« Reply #91 on: 22/08/2016 03:29:40 »
I have the same problem.  I will drink a cappuccino, or a iced coffee and immediately feel sleepy.  It's not a crash later, it's immediate.  If i cut the coffee with a cream then i will get immediately drowsy.

Joker

None
« Reply #92 on: 29/09/2016 14:57:39 »
Hmm I also become sleepy a few minutes after drinking coffee, this has always been the case ever since I can remember so I don't think it's caffeine dependency. Maybe it's the genes, cause my mom is also like that.

iwill

None
« Reply #93 on: 12/11/2016 01:57:00 »
I'm 17 years old and doesn't drink coffee always but if there happens a time that I'm experiencing an insomnia, coffee always help me to sleep. Don't know why but I have read some comments and I think it enlightened my mind. Great discussion!

Kendra

None
« Reply #94 on: 17/11/2016 16:03:07 »
Im kendra. Im 17 yrs old. And this is what happening to me as always. As a teen, i do always go to sleep so late. Sometimes i am still awake in the morning. I normally get uh 4-5 hrs sleep a day. Dont know how to start changing my body clock so it is. And as a student, i literally need to wake up sometimes as in wide awake the whole midnight until i travel home. And my problem is that, i drink coffee to help me keeping me awake, i mean thats what people say. Coffee keeps you alive. But why every time i drink coffee, i always feel more sleepy and more tired rather than feeling you know what i mean. I really dont get it. It seems impossible. But its actually not. I cant even fight my sleepiness and i wanna get rid of it because im waking up with no tasks accomplished. :(

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #94 on: 17/11/2016 16:03:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums