The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Without our moon, earth could not support humans...correct?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline scienceofscience

• take my head out of the box before I asphyxiate
    • View Profile
Without our moon, our earth could not support humans...correct?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
There are theories that we would not have evolved without the moon.

That would be a different question on whether we could in fact live without the moon.

The theories are that the moon provides axial stability to the planet, and without it, there would be much greater climate changes.  The moon may also affect the tectonic activity of the planet, and the surface mineral availability, and thus nutrient availability for plants, and perhaps our development of technology.

Does it also affect Earth's magnetic field?

Anyway, now that we've reached our current level of technology, if the moon was suddenly knocked out of orbit like a billiard ball, it wouldn't mean sudden doom for humanity. 

Eventually, over thousands or millions of years, Earth may develop more severe summer/winter seasons, at least at the poles.  The Equator, however, might be somewhat insulated by the climatic instability. 

Nonetheless, humanity could likely adapt to the changes.  As far as the rest of nature, stress is often the stimulus for evolutionary change.

Offline scienceofscience

• View Profile
Without the moons magnetic reaction wouldn't our oceans be in chaos compared to now? Or would the oceans be calmer without this reaction?  Our oceans waves cause the wind?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Without the moon, there wouldn't be tides.  In some senses ocean would be less "chaotic", although some ocean life may depend on the tides. 

Wind causes the waves.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Without the moon, there wouldn't be tides ...

There would still be smaller tides due to Sun's gravity ...   

Quote from: wikipedia.org/Tide
Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun and the rotation of the Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide

Offline scienceofscience

• View Profile
Without the moon, there wouldn't be tides.  In some senses ocean would be less "chaotic", although some ocean life may depend on the tides. 

Wind causes the waves.
Oops I knew that lol...wind causes the waves...geeze what have I been breathing in? I recently told someone that the wind causes the waves...lol i'm getting too old to think

Offline flr

• View Profile
I've read somewhere that the Moon is stabilizing the rotation of Earth due to gravitational interactions.
According to a theory, without Moon the weather on Earth will be chaotic because the axis of rotation of Earth will change more or less randomly.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums