The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: unknown substance  (Read 17754 times)

Offline bigfluffyz

• First timers
    • View Profile
unknown substance
« on: 29/07/2006 21:28:32 »
when dry the substance is a brown color feeling and looking like the crumbled remains of an art eraser (the brownish looking ones that are in every highschool) but when placed into water the substance becomes almost perfectly transparent leving hardly any shadow and the only way for you to know that its not disolved is that it has expanded to about 10 times its size and feels like a solid spounge to the touch. These peices were found in a amish neck towel that you soak in ice cold water and wrap around your neck this substance manages to stay very cold for about an hour in very hot weather.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: unknown substance
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2006 01:35:52 »
Big Fluffyz, I deleted your 2nd copy of this topic. They were identical and had no response as of yet!

In regards to your post, I have bought something like those to wear around your neck in the heat. these are cloth tubes filled with said substance and when soaked in water for 30 to 60 minutes, they swell staying nice and cold for an extended amount of time. They work well, although I must say I do not know what the substance is inside of them, maybe someone can help you if that is your Question. It would probably be wise for you to pose a Question with your statement about said substance!.......Karen
« Last Edit: 30/07/2006 01:36:44 by Karen W. »

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2006 02:34:16 »
To be fair, I could not work out if it was a question of a sales pitch ([particularly since there were two copies of it) but I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being (since there did not seem to be any links or other obvious ways of pushing a purchase).

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2006 06:36:55 »
I was not sure either so I left one and we will see! I kind of feel it was a question, but was not sure!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2006 07:42:16 »
Karen, Queenie Moderator!  How did you rate?  LOL  I would say something, but since I, like Helena is trying to behave, I don't want to get kicked off here for being onery...lol

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2006 17:16:38 »
I know, Isn't that just weird I am the least computer literate person I know! already tried to edit my own post and pulled yours up! Geesh! Its like giving a mouse a semi Truck to drive, Look out make way!!! No worries Lorettta It's me!!

Have you seen these products out there? I would be curious as to what the substance is inside of them, I imagine some kind of geletin stuff. Mine are old and do not revive like they once did, so they don't last but for a couple of years.Do You know what the stuff inside is?

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #6 on: 30/07/2006 17:29:28 »
Karen it dosent take long to get used to it, and once you make a mistake like editing someone else's post you tend not to do the same thing again.:)

Also the back arrow rectifies most errors if you catch them early enuf.

Michael
« Last Edit: 30/07/2006 17:31:32 by ukmicky »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/07/2006 17:59:19 »
I like the mouse and semi thought...lol  I moved right out of the way...and if you wanted to scathe my post...sure go ahead...lol
Nope..don't know what kind of substance...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/07/2006 18:07:50 »
Thanks Michael And Loretta! I will get the hang of it soon enough, Must have calm fingers and a precise mouse, and remember to not fall asleep on the keyboard as that could spell disaster!!
« Last Edit: 31/07/2006 05:31:49 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/07/2006 18:18:27 »
You will do fine and happy to see George aboard too...good choices Michael!!  You know I had one of those neck things too...but it had a gel in it and you could use it for your head or neck if I recall?

"Lo" Loretta

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 31/07/2006 01:36:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
Thanks Michael And Loretta! I will get the hang of it soon enough, Must have calm fingers and a precise mouse, and remember to not fall asleep on the keyboard as that could spell disater!!

So long as it only spells disater, and not disaster we'll be OK on the spelling then :D

BTW, yes, I too keep on hitting the edit button rather than the reply button but since I almost always compose the replies in a word processor, I pretty soon notice that that the quote tags are missing from the original.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31/07/2006 05:36:59 »
Thanks george for the help here, I really do have an education! I am just a really bad typist. I have graduated from two fingers to all of them. Now I have to make sure I don't get my fingers ahead of my brain! Kind of like my mouth sometimes it gets ahead of my brain also. I tend to speak before I think. Not good! Insert foot into mouth! You know what I mean!...hugs Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/07/2006 01:35:52 »
Big Fluffyz, I deleted your 2nd copy of this topic. They were identical and had no response as of yet!

In regards to your post, I have bought something like those to wear around your neck in the heat. these are cloth tubes filled with said substance and when soaked in water for 30 to 60 minutes, they swell staying nice and cold for an extended amount of time. They work well, although I must say I do not know what the substance is inside of them, maybe someone can help you if that is your Question. It would probably be wise for you to pose a Question with your statement about said substance!.......Karen
« Last Edit: 30/07/2006 01:36:44 by Karen W. »

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 30/07/2006 02:34:16 »
To be fair, I could not work out if it was a question of a sales pitch ([particularly since there were two copies of it) but I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being (since there did not seem to be any links or other obvious ways of pushing a purchase).

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/07/2006 06:36:55 »
I was not sure either so I left one and we will see! I kind of feel it was a question, but was not sure!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30/07/2006 07:42:16 »
Karen, Queenie Moderator!  How did you rate?  LOL  I would say something, but since I, like Helena is trying to behave, I don't want to get kicked off here for being onery...lol

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30/07/2006 17:16:38 »
I know, Isn't that just weird I am the least computer literate person I know! already tried to edit my own post and pulled yours up! Geesh! Its like giving a mouse a semi Truck to drive, Look out make way!!! No worries Lorettta It's me!!

Have you seen these products out there? I would be curious as to what the substance is inside of them, I imagine some kind of geletin stuff. Mine are old and do not revive like they once did, so they don't last but for a couple of years.Do You know what the stuff inside is?

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #17 on: 30/07/2006 17:29:28 »
Karen it dosent take long to get used to it, and once you make a mistake like editing someone else's post you tend not to do the same thing again.:)

Also the back arrow rectifies most errors if you catch them early enuf.

Michael
« Last Edit: 30/07/2006 17:31:32 by ukmicky »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30/07/2006 17:59:19 »
I like the mouse and semi thought...lol  I moved right out of the way...and if you wanted to scathe my post...sure go ahead...lol
Nope..don't know what kind of substance...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30/07/2006 18:07:50 »
Thanks Michael And Loretta! I will get the hang of it soon enough, Must have calm fingers and a precise mouse, and remember to not fall asleep on the keyboard as that could spell disaster!!
« Last Edit: 31/07/2006 05:31:49 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30/07/2006 18:18:27 »
You will do fine and happy to see George aboard too...good choices Michael!!  You know I had one of those neck things too...but it had a gel in it and you could use it for your head or neck if I recall?

"Lo" Loretta

another_someone

« Reply #21 on: 31/07/2006 01:36:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
Thanks Michael And Loretta! I will get the hang of it soon enough, Must have calm fingers and a precise mouse, and remember to not fall asleep on the keyboard as that could spell disater!!

So long as it only spells disater, and not disaster we'll be OK on the spelling then :D

BTW, yes, I too keep on hitting the edit button rather than the reply button but since I almost always compose the replies in a word processor, I pretty soon notice that that the quote tags are missing from the original.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31/07/2006 05:36:59 »
Thanks george for the help here, I really do have an education! I am just a really bad typist. I have graduated from two fingers to all of them. Now I have to make sure I don't get my fingers ahead of my brain! Kind of like my mouth sometimes it gets ahead of my brain also. I tend to speak before I think. Not good! Insert foot into mouth! You know what I mean!...hugs Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31/07/2006 06:50:11 »
How Karen sounds like with written keys here to emulate those sounds from inserting foot in mouth....%RGDJO$#%TOIUETLKJYF<CM>VM  What did you say?  LOL

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31/07/2006 07:04:59 »
LOL! I love you Loretta, thats really  close!!

Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 31/07/2006 07:04:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums