The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is ankylosing spondylitis?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline SimpleEngineer

• View Profile
What is ankylosing spondylitis?
« on: 04/11/2013 13:36:44 »
I am a sufferer of Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) I was wondering if anyone here has any understanding of the condition and the treatments available and related diseases.

I have suffered significant and debilitating back pain (initially focussed around the base of my spine spreading recently to my spin just beneath my ribcage and around my ribs) since I was 16. At 21 I was formally diagnosed (with a HLA-B27 positive blood test) with AS. I was initially prescribed diclofenac sodium (voltarol) as a measure to control swelling and pain, until recently when the pain is no longer controlled by the meds and the pain is spreading.

I have had an MRI scan which has confirmed 'expected scarring' and I am being considered for Anti-TNF treatment. I have been given the safety talk about its risks and wonder if anyone has any further opinion or knowledge on the safety of this treatment or any alternative therapies I could use.

I would like to get a more full understanding of the condition if anyone could break it down for me.
« Last Edit: 17/11/2013 14:50:32 by chris »

Offline SimpleEngineer

• View Profile

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Anti TNF
« Reply #2 on: 07/11/2013 10:17:41 »
... further opinion or knowledge on the safety of this treatment ...

Quote from: jama in 2006
Anti-TNF Antibody Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Risk of Serious Infections and Malignancies
Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Rare Harmful Effects in Randomized Controlled Trials ...

Malignancies

Published data in the 9 retrieved randomized controlled trials reported 24 malignancies in 3493 patients who received at least 1 dose of an anti-TNF antibody (0.8%) and 2 malignancies in 1512 control patients (0.2%).
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=202873

If you do take immunosuppression of any description I believe it's advisable to limit your sun-exposure ...

Quote from: skincancer.org
"The last thing an immunocompromised person needs is sun exposure," warns Dr. Otley. Sunscreen appears to help. A study from Queensland, Australia, found that daily sunscreen use significantly reduces the number of squamous cell carcinomas that people develop over time.
http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts/weakened-immune-system-can-lead-to-skin-cancer
« Last Edit: 07/11/2013 10:26:21 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Anti TNF
« Reply #2 on: 07/11/2013 10:17:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums