The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Recurrent Cold sores- severe symptoms?  (Read 119205 times)

Offline jenlhensonpa

• First timers
    • View Profile
Recurrent Cold sores- severe symptoms?
« on: 30/07/2006 18:07:50 »
I've had cold sores since I was very young. I've read there is a genetic disposition- a faulty gene. My Mom has severe recurrent cold sores as well, even though she's over 50. Every year I had a cold sore for my class picture.

I typically get a fairly severe headache, malaise and swollen lymph nodes in the neck before and during cold sore attack.  I have probably 5-6 different spots on my lips where they recur.  Sometimes as one is coming on, I get another one in a different place on the lips. They usually will get very big compared to others I see. I work in the ER as a physician assistant and RARELY see cold sores. I take Valtrex 1000 mg at first sign of symptoms.  There has been a recent study showing this is very effective as a one-time treatment. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Does anyone else feel quite ill with cold sores?  I can't find anything on the Net about such severe prodrome/associated symptoms with RECURRENT outbreaks- just with initial.  Sometimes I've had a good fever with outbreaks as well.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Recurrent Cold sores- severe symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2006 18:45:18 »
Welcome To the forums Jen!  My husband gets cold sores but never any of the other symtoms, our pharmicist recomended taking L-lysine at the first symptoms of the cold sore and to continue as this would lesson the chances or something. I cannot remember his exact explaination. It has worked wonders, and he hardly gets them anymore. You should try it! I hope your valtrex works! Maybe someone else could tell you more.I have never in 46 years had one, so I cannot tell you based on my own personal experience!....Karen

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2006 23:40:01 »
My understanding is that cold sores are a result of viral infection.  As I understand it, it is one of the various herpes family of viruses, and is highly contagious – so I can well imagine it will easily pass from parent to child.  There are various lotions that can dell with the symptoms (the cold sore itself) when they arise (usually as a result of stress), but nothing will get rid of the underlying infection.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/viral/herpes-simplex.html
quote:

Herpes simplex is a common viral infection that presents with localised blistering. It affects most people on one or more occasions during their lives.
There are two main types of herpes simplex virus (HSV), although there is considerable overlap.

• Type 1, which is mainly associated with facial infections (cold sores or fever blisters)

• Type 2, which is mainly genital (genital herpes)

Both type 1 and type 2 herpes simplex viruses reside in a latent state in the nerves which supply sensation to the skin. During an attack, the virus grows down the nerves and out into the skin or mucous membranes where it multiplies, causing the clinical lesion. After each attack it ‘dies back’ up the nerve fibre and enters the resting state again.
First or primary attacks of Type 1 infections occur mainly in infants and young children, which are usually mild or subclinical. In crowded, underdeveloped areas of the world up to 100% of children have been infected by the age of 5. In higher socioeconomic groups the incidence is lower, for example less than half of university entrants in Britain have been infected.
Type 2 infections occur mainly after puberty, often transmitted sexually. The initial infection more commonly causes symptoms.

George
« Last Edit: 30/07/2006 23:40:57 by another_someone »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2006 03:58:03 »
Oh! George does that mean I could actually get it from hubby? He was getting them all the time for years. I never did and still have never had one. That is so wierd. He still gets them, but can nip them in the bud with L Lysine. They look like they hurt!! .....Karen

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2006 04:24:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
Oh! George does that mean I could actually get it from hubby? He was getting them all the time for years. I never did and still have never had one. That is so wierd. He still gets them, but can nip them in the bud with L Lysine. They look like they hurt!! .....Karen

Yes, I think it does – but I believe it is only while the sores are active, and if he manages the active sores well, then the likelihood of contagion is more limited.  It may also be possible that you have already caught the virus, but simply don't react to it (or have such a slight reaction that you cannot notice it) – in that respect, even though the virus itself is contagious, the reaction to the virus may have a genetic component.

George
« Last Edit: 31/07/2006 04:27:00 by another_someone »

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2006 23:40:01 »
My understanding is that cold sores are a result of viral infection.  As I understand it, it is one of the various herpes family of viruses, and is highly contagious – so I can well imagine it will easily pass from parent to child.  There are various lotions that can dell with the symptoms (the cold sore itself) when they arise (usually as a result of stress), but nothing will get rid of the underlying infection.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/viral/herpes-simplex.html
quote:

Herpes simplex is a common viral infection that presents with localised blistering. It affects most people on one or more occasions during their lives.
There are two main types of herpes simplex virus (HSV), although there is considerable overlap.

• Type 1, which is mainly associated with facial infections (cold sores or fever blisters)

• Type 2, which is mainly genital (genital herpes)

Both type 1 and type 2 herpes simplex viruses reside in a latent state in the nerves which supply sensation to the skin. During an attack, the virus grows down the nerves and out into the skin or mucous membranes where it multiplies, causing the clinical lesion. After each attack it ‘dies back’ up the nerve fibre and enters the resting state again.
First or primary attacks of Type 1 infections occur mainly in infants and young children, which are usually mild or subclinical. In crowded, underdeveloped areas of the world up to 100% of children have been infected by the age of 5. In higher socioeconomic groups the incidence is lower, for example less than half of university entrants in Britain have been infected.
Type 2 infections occur mainly after puberty, often transmitted sexually. The initial infection more commonly causes symptoms.

George
« Last Edit: 30/07/2006 23:40:57 by another_someone »

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2006 04:24:43 »
quote:

Yes, I think it does – but I believe it is only while the sores are active, and if he manages the active sores well, then the likelihood of contagion is more limited.  It may also be possible that you have already caught the virus, but simply don't react to it (or have such a slight reaction that you cannot notice it) – in that respect, even though the virus itself is contagious, the reaction to the virus may have a genetic component.

George
« Last Edit: 31/07/2006 04:27:00 by another_someone »

Offline BillJx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2006 03:47:01 »
quote:

Oh! George does that mean I could actually get it from hubby?

You bet! You've been lucky. It's important to practice careful hygiene with cold sores.  There's lots of information available on treatment, hygiene, etc.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/08/2006 10:00:48 »
I must say, I do avoid a kiss with that nasty thing on his lip, It is so oozie when he gets one, it kind grosses me out! Are they only contagious while they have erupted, Cause then I should be safe, no kissing with nasty lip(I know that sounds terrible) I am tad squimish!!

Karen

Offline sofi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/08/2006 12:37:42 »
i am 21 and have suffered with cold sores for as long as i can remember. i normally get them when i am run down, stressed, been ill, sudden change in weather and air con on planes. i use zovirax but find that because i have them so often i dont feel the tingle beforehand so i normally catch it when there is a tiny bump under the skin, but find this brings the coldsore out quicker which forms a large blister and looks awful. last week i got one on my bottom lip which spread to my top lip and as i thought they had both gone the botton one disappeared and i felt one appearing on the middle bit of my nose so i put some cream on as i was only hoping it was going to be a spot and now it is huge and the scabs are turning orange and to top it off the one on my top lip has appeared. i which there was some cure for them as i can get them as much as once a month and even tho i can get rid of them after about 5 days it is still too long when they are on the middle of your face
i want to try something else but i am scared it could make them worse, any suggestions?

Offline goldmouse

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/08/2007 18:43:04 »
I have had cold sores all my life and am now 54 y/o. A new dentist noticed that I had an ongoing at my last visit. He commented on the fact that he also had cold sores and cured then with a prescription ointment which also comes in tablet. I said that I was defiantly interested in it. He mentioned that that the tab form must be taken at the very onset to be effective, whereas the cream could be kept handy and applied numerous times over different attacks. I was dubious, but thought if my insurance paid some of the cost I was willing to pay my share. This stuff is expensive, but effective. It's called Denavir and for me it worked wonders. I got one tube and still have some left, and keep it just in case. I haven't had a need to use it now for 4 months.
I am not selling anything as some people do on these forums.
John

Offline sparkly

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/09/2007 21:28:27 »
Sofi....if you are into things natural, google Virasoothe, it is amazing! Zovirax stopped working for me, i seemed to become immune to it.  I have had cold sores a bit like you - almost back to back.  Since I first used this product about 10 years ago, I have not had a single one!!

Offline Robinson

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06/09/2007 21:17:21 »
Most people often cold sores from adults when they are babies.... the virus actually hides in the nerve cell until it's activated - usually by stress and a drop in your body's immune defense. Lots of things can trigger this "re-activation" - bad diet, lack of sleep, too much sun. So wear your sunblock!

Offline stevtaylor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14/09/2007 23:03:00 »
One of the things that really helped me out with my cold sores are eating less nuts and chocolate. These foods are high in arginine...which has been shown to increase the chance of cold sore occurrance. I also use a special lip balm that blocks the sun's rays.

There are a bunch more cold sore remedies here: newbielink:http://cold-sore-remedies.weebly.com [nonactive]

Steve

Offline strop

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19/09/2007 04:33:41 »
Man, I have had the dreaded Cold Sores at least monthly for decades, if there is a treatment or so called remedy out there then I have tried it!
The Lysine - Arginine ratio seems to be the main trigger, this can be found by a simple search so try it out. I was getting pretty good at it but still hit with the Blisters out of left field. Looked at coldsoresnomore.com and have not had a Cold Sore for months, seems to be a good report, although I have not trashed my self lately, maybe I should just for a test..... [xx(]   

Offline javelinpc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19/06/2010 10:56:11 »
I'm not sure is this is current but here goes
My daughter and I both suffer with cold sores and like several people here, we too have
never found anything over the counter or from the doctor that works. She came
across a website that sells a home made remedy.  She ordered a pot of this
mixture and it healed her cold sore within about 4 days.
She was delighted to find something that actually works for a change, especially
as she was to be a bridesmaid at a wedding the following week.  She gave me some
to try and it virtually stopped mine in its tracks when I started to develop
one.  I have told several of my friends about it and they are all giving it a
try.  Personally, we think it’s an excellent product and it’s all natural
ingredients. 

The website address if anyone is interested is carmans.org.uk

I apologise for the delay in writing but this is all a bit new to me (forums)
Geoffrey

Offline Farcanal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19/04/2011 04:00:44 »
Most people often cold sores from adults when they are babies.... the virus actually hides in the nerve cell until it's activated - usually by stress and a drop in your body's immune defense. Lots of things can trigger this "re-activation" - bad diet, lack of sleep, too much sun. So wear your sunblock!

We contract the virus for our mother's birth canal. Almost everyone carries the virus but some never get an outbreak. Tincture of Iodine will help wnen the lesion blisters but looks a bit off. Worth a try if one is desperate.

All medicine cabinets should have these things in there as a matter of course: Tincture of Iodine, Hydrogen peroxide (very powerful antiseptic), Friars Balsam (respiratory relief) and Condy Salts (potassium Permanganate) Condy's and Iodine will stain but are excellent for all kinds of sterilizing. It will purify water too in tiny ammounts.

Offline JudithPoodith

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31/01/2013 19:25:45 »
I am replying juust a few years too late, but just in case anyone searches this issue, the answer is YES! I get quite ill when cold sores are present...malaise, weakness, feeling as if the infectionnis systemic. I have scoured the web, and all I find is concerning the vety serious systemic infection that imuno-compromised people can get, that can cause encephalitis (sp). It is frustrating, I cannot function as I need to, and often it takes a very long time to heal.
I don't know why there isn't more about this, on the web. We can't be the only ones!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01/02/2013 20:13:39 »
Judith,
It sounds frustrating.  Has your physician diagnosed the cause of your recurrent cold sores and illness? 

Herpes may be one potential cause.  There are now some good treatments for Herpes that can both prevent flare-ups, as well as treat them if they do occur.

It is possible that the antivirals might help with other viral infections too if the viruses are similar to the target virus.

Offline heliski55

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09/03/2013 16:11:46 »
I have tried just about every product/ice/natural cure/etc.  Best thing I have found by far is viradux-coldsore.  You just use it like a chapstick 4x per day and no more gross cold sores.  I think it's fairly new.  Hope this helps!

Offline getridofthem

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10/05/2013 02:59:51 »
I have suffered from cold sores for many years, until one day, my dermatologist suggested that she does this infrared laser - red light therapy. Once you have a few sessions of those, it goes away completely for a couple of years!!! There are also these things available on the market - such as virulite, which prevents a full outbreak. Hope this helps.

Offline DoeYea

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11/10/2013 07:18:21 »
Hi jenlhensonpa, to answer your question, YES! I have those exact symptoms. When I read your post I was thinking, Wow :0, her symptoms are just like mine! I've been getting these annoying outbreaks since I was a child and I HATE it! It seems like I break out at the most in-opportune times, especially when I'm stressed. My boyfriend introduced me to these pills called HERPANACINE by Diamond formulas , they seem to work. I've been taking them now for several months and the only time I have a break out is when I don't take them. I take 3 pills in the morning and 3 pills at night. You can take 2 -2 once you get them in your system, but I usually just stick with the 3 -3. A bottle usually runs me around 28 bucks but if you shop around online I'm sure you can find them for less. Although the Valtrex 1000 mg is doing the job, having other methods to get rid of those suckers could help too.  I am in the medical field as well and I'm hoping one day there'll be a permenant cure for these annoying outbreaks :)    Be well :D.

Offline doctorf4

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13/01/2014 21:04:40 »
I got my first occurence in the fifth grade.  I saw a few people in class had it a few weeks before I got it.

Denavir and ice have worked for me. 

I haven't tried Abreva yet.   Any feedback on Abreva?

Offline Sofy2014

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Recurrent Cold sores- severe symptoms?k
« Reply #23 on: 11/07/2014 19:18:33 »
I just had the worst outbreak from a sun burn. It never happened to me before. My bottom lip became all irritated and increased by two sizes. Sores all over :((  feel like a monster :(
Very painful. I ran to the store right away and got abreva.
I applied it everywhere, and I also put a thick layer of Vaseline over the top. I'm just now on the third day, and some is already healing  and peeling right off :) no bleeding.
I was doing this maybe 5x a day, Abreva then vaseline over the top. Don't force or
Scratch any scabs off. You will see it peeling off itself and you can gently remove and excess scabs and then reapply with cream and Vaseline. I hadn't had any sores for about 2 years, anytime I felt tingling , I would NEVER touch around my lips. I immediately either go near a fan or put a little ice on it. Sounds funny but it works, and try to not think about it and stress over it. I got burnt from
The sun and there was no way to avoid it because I had tingling everywhere and kept stressing more about it. Yes it sucks :( but we have to learn how to control it. I also know that tea tree oil helps. Hope my advice helps :)

Offline davinNoMo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23/01/2015 16:46:47 »
If the cold sore reaches a certain point, it can become very inflamed and irritated. The best thing to do is try your best to prevent it from reaching later stages. Some of the things you can do to achieve this is to drink lots of milk or use applicator products like Polysporin or Intercept CS. Try to eat well and get lots of sleep. Best of luck in the future! Stay strong

newbielink:http://www.interceptcoldsore.com/ [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.polysporin.ca/ [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 23/01/2015 16:46:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length