The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where did the Cheylabinsk meteor come from?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Where did the Cheylabinsk meteor come from?
« on: 12/11/2013 14:48:08 »
Using videos posted on the Internet, a Czech team have reconstructed the path, and traced the origins of, the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor...

Read the whole story on our website by clicking here

« Last Edit: 12/11/2013 14:48:08 by _system »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the Cheylabinsk meteor come from?
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2013 19:27:19 »
Something else of interest relating to this event is that some people had retinal burns, and that isn't surprising give that I've also heard in the last few days that it was 30 times brighter than the sun. If you see one of these things, don't stare at it, and bear in mind that a bigger one could be so bright that even a glance could destroy your centre of vision permanently.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Where did the Chelyabinsk impactor originate?
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2013 22:38:53 »
That's interesting, David. Do you have a reference or news source for this? I'd like to follow that up.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the Chelyabinsk meteor come from?
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2013 23:38:49 »
From this YouTube it certainly provided more illumination that the sun* ...

[ * although no-one is getting much of a suntan in Russia in February at 10am  ]
« Last Edit: 10/11/2013 23:43:14 by RD »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the Chelyabinsk meteor come from?
« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2013 20:37:41 »
That's interesting, David. Do you have a reference or news source for this? I'd like to follow that up.

I'd like to follow it up too, but I've only heard these slipping into news items either on the radio or TV. I can't pin down where I heard them because I listen to too many different sources, including the BBC World Service. I've heard "retinal burns" being mentioned once without further elaboration, and "30 times as bright as the sun" mentioned once without anything else being said on the matter, and yet this sounds like a really important thing to know about. A really big one that's going to kill everyone would probably blind you even if you had your eyes shut (and might fry all your skin too), but you don't want to be killed by something of intermediate size due to being blinded if it could be survived by finding your way somewhere underground before the shockwave arrives. At the time of the Tunguska event, some people had their clothes set on fire as the shockwave passed, so it's not just a blast you want to get out of the way of. Anyway, I think that spreading the word about the danger of looking at these things could prevent unnecessary damage to people's eyes and may save lives too, so it matters. I'm also worried about the risk of looking at Betelgeuse if it blows, because you don't feel pain when the retina burns.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2013 20:39:16 by David Cooper »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2013 21:06:01 »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2488478/Russias-meteor-explosion-powerful-400-000-tonnes-TNT.html

In this page there's a reference to severe burns which I suspect refers to retinas although it doesn't say so. It might be better to get someone who speaks Russian to do the searching for more info on this, because most of the useful stuff on this will be in that language.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2013 21:06:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length