The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can vapourised forms of hormones be produced?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
Can vapourised forms of hormones be produced?
« on: 21/11/2013 23:51:10 »
Can you make Hormone vapors? Is that possible? Can hormones such as testosterone and estrogen exist as a vapor/gas? I believe that a chemical change would take place in the hormone at high temperature thus it would be impossible. The chemical change would take place before the boiling point and change the compound into something totally different.

But I guess you could boil it in a vacuum at lower temperatures. Or perhaps you could adamize it with ultrasound or humidify it with a cloth and fan. I know a form of testosterone is emitted by sweat glands and evaporated into the air, a so called pseudo human pheromone so some hormones do exist as gases, like pheromones but can most any hormone be a vapor?

Say for example melotonin, serotonin or cortisol. These hormones don't normally exist as vapors but could they? Would they still work? What would happen if you inhaled testosterone, it's my guess that the hormone would bypass the blood brain barrier and act almost instantly and be very potent.

Also would that be dangerous? I don't fore-see that inhalation of natural hormones would be a problem but I'm also not a doctor so I don't know for shore exactly what would happen.
I don't think that hormones are ever administered via vapor, maybe there's a reason for that. But it could be useful for medical reasons. :)

What do you guys know about this and what are your thoughts?  Just reply what ever you want below.
« Last Edit: 23/11/2013 10:35:30 by chris »

Offline Conspirologist

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Hormone vapors!?
« Reply #1 on: 22/11/2013 00:51:44 »
After reading this I had to make an account specifically to comment on this post. Scientificsorcerer you should know that there is a conspiracy that exists concerning this subject. Apparently there is a hormone induction process taking place, the illuminati put hormones in water and food. Every day they put more and more hormone effecting chemicals in everything you eat and drink. Your post made me think that they could also put hormones in the air.

The reason why is simple, do you know why little teen girls go crazy in love over pop singers? Hormones, teens at that age have elevated levels of sex hormones. It makes them go nuts, what if they could manually flood people's hormone receptors during live audience speaking! Many hormones are known to elevate mood and some say cooperative behavior given the right kinds.

Gaseous hormones could be a mass mind control weapon used to make people agree with anyone, when people are high on hormones it reduces logical thought. It makes people more emotional and more vulnerable.  Think about how these new sciences could fall into the wrong hands and the consequences that it could bring.

Rockets for example, you could use rockets to do good and travel space but if it fell into the wrong hands you could get nuclear war.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/11/2013 01:09:13 »
Last spring there were some news stories about a testosterone aerosol for women to increase libido. The theory was that the effects of an aerosol might be more temporary and less systemic, that is, would not have masculinizing effects on the rest of the body. I don't know if any drug company went ahead with the idea. But yes hormones can be delivered that way.

There have also been experiments with oxytocin nasal spray, which is supposed to enhance social bonding, trust, nurturing behavior, and reduce fear.

But as far as "mind control" goes, the effects of hormones depend a lot on context and environment. Injecting someone with adrenalin can make them fearful, angry, or happily enthusiastic, all very different emotions, depending on the social context and the other reasoning processes going on in their head at the time.
« Last Edit: 22/11/2013 01:16:17 by cheryl j »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2013 01:57:21 »
... there is a conspiracy ...  the illuminati ...

Is that the Jewish , Masonic, Athiest or Reptillian  branch of the “illuminati” ...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Illuminati#Keeping_the_fire_alive

« Last Edit: 22/11/2013 02:04:35 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/11/2013 07:15:22 »
Steroids are a type of hormone.  Steroids are commonly delivered via inhaler for the treatment of asthma.  So, in that case, an inhaler is a hormone vaporizer.  And, it is used for the local effects on the lungs.

Some drugs such as Imitrex are delivered by nasal spray, and intended to be absorbed by the nasal mucosa. 

You could also consider hormones as being similar to essential oils, although some may be either solids, or require chemical modifications to achieve relatively low melting points.  As a liquid, they should have a vapor pressure, and should have a distinct smell.  But, of course, the dose from just smelling the volatile components would be exceptionally low.

I believe most tests for human sensitivity to pheromones have been negative or inconclusive.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/11/2013 13:19:56 »
One of the more obvious reasons not to believe "conspirologist" is the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatlemania
It's clear that screaming fans were around in the 50s and 60s
Yet there was no supply of hormones until this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Djerassi
set up production in the 50s

The vapour pressure of the steroids is too low for them to have any effect as a vapour. You can, of course, spray them as inhalers do but that spray falls out of the air quite quickly so that wouldn't work as a mass medication system.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/11/2013 15:10:48 »

I believe most tests for human sensitivity to pheromones have been negative or inconclusive.

There is the famous "sweaty t-shirt study" in which women preferred the scent of t-shirts of men with different major histocompatibility complex antigens/genes. But I don't know if whatever they were sensing is a hormone or some other molecule, or if it was ever determined. The effect was reversed if women were taking oral contraceptives.
Babies also prefer the scent of their mother's clothing, (although that could be simple conditioning) and people also tend to recognize and like the smell of newborn babies. It's strongest on the top of the baby's head and isn't related to soaps or creams.
There's some evidence for pheromone synchronization of the menstrual cycles of women living together, but not all studies have  reproduced the results.

Anecdotally, I was cross country skiing once in late March. It was sunny and warm, but there was still lots of snow in the bush. I came down this one hill and smelled something I had never smelled before. It was not putrid (like a dead animal) or noxious (like a skunk.) It was just alarming, the smell equivalent of a scream or a roar, and made my hair stand up and my heart race. I didn't stay to investigate and kept going.
« Last Edit: 22/11/2013 15:39:12 by cheryl j »

• View Profile
Re: Can vapourised forms of hormones be produced?
« Reply #7 on: 23/11/2013 21:14:29 »
I don't think you should push aside conspirologists clame so quickly, I have heard of hormones put in food. But saying that "the illuminati" dose it is not smart, the illuminati is a false "scapegoat" organization. It was created to absorb blame so the vary real evil money grubing conglomerates can operate like shadows. All the attention is on the illuminati so nobody notices that they are behind everything.

Also about hormone gas for mass use? How would that work, bored chemist is right in saying that people already get super crazy at live bands even without drugs (though the beetles was a bad example, I bet marijuana clouds made the whole crowd high at that hippy fest)

Which is a form of mass hormone dosing, 6-tetrahydrocanabinal is absorbed by the canabinoid HORMONE receptors because THC resembles a naturally produced hormone in the brain, cocain effects dopamine levels too so in a way mass hormone control is real but also illegal. And the effects are profound, a late 50's experiments were done on marijuana smoke being pumped into a room of unsuspecting test subjects and found that all the subjects got high off of second hand smoke, if you enter the mass of say a cypress hill concert you will get high regardless, it is being done. Inorder to make their music sound better.

Conspirologist is right to worry about this stuff, in a sense it's already real but useing raw hormones might yield much more potant results, imagine for a moment what would happen if a mass of men all had their testosterone levels flooded, what that could do. Think about that.
« Last Edit: 23/11/2013 21:22:27 by ScientificSorcerer »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23/11/2013 21:33:38 »
"I don't think you should push aside conspirologists clame so quickly"
I do.
Not least because (of course) he didn't provide any evidence.
"I have heard of hormones put in food."
I have heard of problems with Hobbits and Orcs, but it doesn't make them real.
"It was created to absorb blame so the vary real evil money grubing conglomerates can operate like shadows. "
why would they bother? Who benefits from a hormone soaked population?

"Also about hormone gas for mass use? How would that work"
Like I said, it wouldn't. They are not volatile enough.
"though the beetles was a bad example, I bet marijuana clouds made the whole crowd high at that hippy fest)"
Probably the most famous image of Beatlemania is at an airport, outside. Do you really think enough people would have been smoking enough to influence the crowds, even under the noses of the customs officers there?
Did you just not really think that through?

"Conspirologist is right to worry about this stuff,
Why?
None of the evidence actually stands up.

" imagine for a moment what would happen if a mass of men all had their testosterone levels flooded, what that could do. Think about that."
OK, I thought about it, it would be messy. Nobody would benefit and there would be no reason to spend the large sums of money required to do it.

Offline Conspirologist

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23/11/2013 21:46:26 »
Dude I got a whole new perspective  based on scientificsorcerers reply, your right the illuminati is fake, it's a scapegoat holy cow! And recreational drug use is a form of mind control!  And your right, mass drug use during live music is ridiculously common. How, how could everyone have missed this stuff.

Testosterone flooding would have profound results too, especially if you wanted to pump up an audience. But that's just one example! Imagine estrogen or oxytocin, dopamine even! They would like the speech even if the speaker sucked. In fact people might involuntarily fall in love with the speaker depending on how well this type of tool is used.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/11/2013 23:59:54 »
Bored chemist, sorry if I upset you. I didn't mean to, I didn't Bring up the mass mind control subject, I guess conspirologist brought this up, I was just curious about possible medical applications of such a concept.

All conspirologist is saying is what if? It's probably as nonsensical as "problems with orcs and elfs" but it's just a thought. But you can't deny that drugs can be used to do some real evil, take crack for example, that's straight up mind control in my opinion.

Crazier things have happened, no big deal.

Think for a second, how could this be done? You wouldn't need all that much. Things like pure estradiol is remarkably potant, a large jar could do the trick for a medium sized crowd. Plus it could be applied through skin, not through  inhalation, you would be suprized how much people rub each other during concerts that would still work.

Estradiol exists as a aerosol too.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9758681/
According to that the aerosol dose for one person is 1 ml gram like 1 single spray it can be absorbed through the skin and by inhailation
« Last Edit: 24/11/2013 00:13:44 by ScientificSorcerer »

Offline Conspirologist

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24/11/2013 02:15:28 »
Oxytocin is also made in a aerosol form too.
Same goes for nearly all mood altering hormones.

Scientificsorcerer it is a big deal, because people do have logical reasons to make a hormone induced population and I have proof. The main reason is indirect, which is larger food, anybody ever heard of GMOs genetically modified organisms? The main goal for the people is to make bigger foods which is a good cause (sort of) but Inorder to make the foods bigger you have to basically make the plants produce more growth hormones. Those hormones are consumed by us and get into our systems, it's not like its their intention to feed us more hormones. it's to make money lots of money.

The average chicken grows up at around 6 months before its fully grown and can be eaten but a genetically modified chicken will grow 2 times as big at around half the time. That means more, bigger chickens in half the time = more profits for the company BUT we gotta eat that monster and his over active hormones get into our bodies. And it's not just chickens, it's corn and soy and a tone of other crops and animals.  It's both unethical and bad for us
« Last Edit: 24/11/2013 02:31:57 by Conspirologist »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24/11/2013 16:22:42 »
It would be a very imprecise form of mind control, since hormones tend to up regulators or down regulators. You can't necessarily target or direct the behavior at something.  It could easily backfire. If you hype up aggression, what if that aggression is directed at the wrong people, or back at you?

Here's kind of an interesting hormone related experiment. At a fox farm, the owner would shoot aggressive foxes because of the risk they presented to himself and employees. Over the years, they noticed changes in the animals being bred from this group in which the most aggressive ones were always eliminated. Their tails curled up, their ears became floppy, and the color of their coats and the shape of their skulls changed. In many ways they became more dog like. At first it was puzzling that selecting for a behavior trait would result in these other changes, until they started looking at changes in hormone levels in these foxes, which affect not only behavior but other kinds of gene expression, even things like melanin production. The selection of non aggressive foxes was actually selecting for developmentally delayed foxes. That is, they had behavior and traits that would be more common in a baby fox than an adult one.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2013 16:25:43 by cheryl j »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24/11/2013 21:04:28 »
Holy cow! just how wrong can you get?
" recreational drug use is a form of mind control!"
No, for two pretty obvious reasons.
Firstly it's voluntary.
Secondly the authorities are not in a position to control it.

"And your right, mass drug use during live music is ridiculously common. " That presumably depends on what sort of gigs you go to.
Most of the ones I have attended have involved a fair bit of alcohol but nothing stronger and I remind you that we have had alcohol in human society for at least 4000 years so it's not got much to do with hormonal control.

"How, how could everyone have missed this stuff."
Because it's nonsense.
"Testosterone flooding would have profound results too
So, you don't know how short the half life of testosterone is in the body. It's almost impossible to get a reliable dose that way
" Imagine estrogen or oxytocin, dopamine even! They would like the speech even if the speaker sucked."
How, exactly, do you plan to deliver it?
It's not volatile so you can't supply it as a vapour. Do you not think people would notice funny looking clouds?
Have you ever seen a venue where speakers (as opposed to singers) were accompanied by fog machines?

How do you explain that nobody has ever noticed this?
(and yes, I have analysed air samples taken in pubs and clubs).

Sci Sorc.
"All conspirologist is saying is what if?
No he's not, is he.
Seriously he said "Every day they put more and more hormone effecting chemicals in everything you eat and drink. "
That's not asking a question, it's telling a lie.

"But you can't deny that drugs can be used to do some real evil, take crack for example, that's straight up mind control in my opinion."
As I said, it's not clear what is in control of what there, and you have to realise that crack is the exception, rather than the usual form for recreational drug use.

"Inorder to make the foods bigger you have to basically make the plants produce more growth hormones. "
Bollocks
"Those hormones are consumed by us and get into our systems, it's not like its their intention to feed us more hormones."
And...?
Plant hormones don't generally affect people (of course- because we evolved to eat plants).

"a genetically modified chicken will grow 2 times as big at around half the time. "
Conceivably, but are any such chickens on the market?

"BUT we gotta eat that monster and his over active hormones get into our bodies."
Again, an assertion with no evidence (you seem to be good at that).
but do you realise why things like oestrogen and oxytocin are produced as aerosols, rather than simply as pills?
It's because they simply don't work if you eat them.
they are destroyed in the stomach.

"And it's not just chickens, it's corn and soy "
and your evidence for hormones in GM soy or corn is what, exactly?

Come on.
This is a scientific website.
Provide some evidence or admit you have been hoodwinked by scaremongering media stories.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 24/11/2013 21:04:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums