The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Need Your Help  (Read 2577 times)

Offline JoshL

• First timers
    • View Profile
Need Your Help
« on: 24/11/2013 08:34:55 »
My name is Josh Leone and I'm writing a book titled, Upgraded, The Science Behind Human Improvement.  I'm experimenting with Kickstarter for the first time, but even if that doesn't work out, I'll still be writing the book.

Now to the meat.  While I try to stay abreast of recent developments, especially on this subject, I'm only one person.  So, I'm throwing my net wide and asking those with an interest to offer tips on science and tech they've seen or heard of that would be relevant to the book's subject.  Do you know of an organization that's doing serious research, a scientist with an interesting take, or a piece of source material, such as a study conducted by a reputable institution, that I should check out?  Let me know.  Please offer tips only on legitimate science.  I'm not looking for fads, folklore, or mysticism. 

Sincerely,
Josh Leone
newbielink:http://www.JoshLeone.com [nonactive]

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Re: Need Your Help
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2013 05:23:39 »
Quote from: JoshL
My name is Josh Leone and I'm writing a book titled, Upgraded, The Science Behind Human Improvement.  I'm experimenting with Kickstarter for the first time, but even if that doesn't work out, I'll still be writing the book.
Welcome to the forum, Josh. :)

When you say I'm experimenting with Kickstarter for the first time what does that mean? Are you talking about the title of the book youíre writing?

Now to the meat.  While I try to stay abreast of recent developments, especially on this subject, I'm only one person.
Recent developments on what? If youíre talking in all generality then thatís an impossible task. To be realistic you have to narrow your focus onto something in particular. A mountain of a textbook can be written on any particular subject so staying abreast on all subjects in science is impossible.

So, I'm throwing my net wide and asking those with an interest to offer tips on science and tech they've seen or heard of that would be relevant to the book's subject.
Sorry. I canít help you. Thatís too broad a question for me to be able to respond to. I myself am interested in several fields in physics quantum mechanics and relativity. Iím not a forerunner and canít say that I know anybody like that, except perhaps one. But you can read his work on http://arxiv.org/ - His name is Alan H. Guth. Just look it up. His latest areas of interest are the multiverse.

Do you know of an organization that's doing serious research, a scientist with an interesting take, or a piece of source material, such as a study conducted by a reputable institution, that I should check out? 
All scientific organizations do serious research.

Offline JoshL

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/11/2013 09:33:21 »
Thought I was reasonably clear, but happy to clarify further.

I'm using Kickstarter to fund the book.  I'm looking for tips on things relating to the subject of the book.  Not all organizations are scientific, or to be taken seriously.  Lots of new age, transcendent, mumbo jumbo groups claim to conduct scientifically valid research.  Few actually do.  By "reputable" I mean as in universities and their ilk.  Not sure what you mean by "forerunner."

Thanks,
Josh Leone
newbielink:http://www.JoshLeone.com [nonactive]

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/11/2013 16:48:40 »
Not sure what you mean by "human improvement". Training and education? Health services? Prosthetics? Eugenics? Selective breeding? Improvement of the human condition? Improvement of the environment by humans? Elimination of priests, politicians and philosophers?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/11/2013 17:43:15 »
Coffin dodging ?   "Life extension science" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_into_centenarians

Exam Cheating ?    "cognitive enhancement" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_doping
« Last Edit: 25/11/2013 17:56:58 by RD »

Offline JoshL

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/11/2013 09:20:26 »
Thanks RD. 

alancalverd - Essentially I mean anything that can optimize or enhance a person physically or psychologically.  Making the body and mind better, more capable, etc.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/11/2013 11:57:23 »
So that's pretty much the whole of education, training, medicine and psychiatry, to be encapsulated in one book. Quite a task. You might find it easier to debunk a few pseudoscientific endeavours in these fields.

Offline JoshL

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/11/2013 20:47:22 »
It is an admittedly wide net, but taking a broad range of information and condensing it down to a concise report is what NF writing is like.  Your best bet is to look at the project itself.

newbielink:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshleone/upgraded-the-science-behind-human-improvement [nonactive]

Hopefully that will give an idea of what I'm looking for.

Josh

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/11/2013 21:52:49 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 26/11/2013 21:52:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums