The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Foul body odor.. No, seriously very different from what I thought was BO  (Read 2843 times)

Offline curiouslyOutspoken

• First timers
    • View Profile
 xx(
OGod..
can someone pls explain to me PLS why this Jewish guy I'm dating stinks what I can only describe 'expired' 'ripe' sh*t this guys BO can kill any sexy mood.. its a very different odor than what I'm used to say.. at a gym.  He even said its the way he sweats??
HOW CAN HE FIX THIS? 
I physically get sick catching a little whiff.. I notice he kinda lives dirty with a smelly dog. I think their stank is turning into the same.. GROSS.
Someone out there has to know what I'm going through... I mean should I ask him to see a doctor or even ask his parents about it?
thanks in advance..
if its his diet can u suggest whats best for that issue?
should i tomato sauce him if he doesn't get it?  ^  wait, that's f* up

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
The first thing would be to start with clean clothes, shower, and deodorant/anti-antiperspirant. 

I remember a kid in school who was a bit stronger smelling than average.  He had some diagnosis for it, but I don't remember what it was.  I know where his facebook page is, but it has been a while since we've talked, and it wouldn't make a good conversation starter.

I see there are a couple of metabolic disorders that can affect one's body odor, for example Trimethylaminuria, and a couple of others.

Anyway, talk to your friend.  He would know if he has had this his whole life, or if it is something new.  Perhaps it could also be controlled somewhat with diet.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... stinks what I can only describe 'expired' 'ripe' sh*t ... its a very different odor than what I'm used to say.. at a gym.  He even said its the way he sweats?

The technical term for that is " ‘fecal body odor’ (FBO)"

... ask his parents about it?

One of his parents may emit the same BO and the other parent insensitive to it, so they may not know what you're complaining about.
« Last Edit: 26/11/2013 00:31:37 by RD »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
xx(
OGod..
can someone pls explain to me PLS why this Jewish guy I'm dating stinks what I can only describe 'expired' 'ripe' sh*t this guys BO can kill any sexy mood.. its a very different odor than what I'm used to say.. at a gym.  He even said its the way he sweats??
HOW CAN HE FIX THIS? 
I physically get sick catching a little whiff.. I notice he kinda lives dirty with a smelly dog. I think their stank is turning into the same.. GROSS.
Someone out there has to know what I'm going through... I mean should I ask him to see a doctor or even ask his parents about it?
thanks in advance..
if its his diet can u suggest whats best for that issue?
should i tomato sauce him if he doesn't get it?  ^  wait, that's f* up
Why would you want to keep dating him if he's not willing to figure it out by going to see a doctor?

Offline curiouslyOutspoken

• First timers
    • View Profile
truthfully, i'm stuck.
fml

Offline distimpson

• View Profile
    • Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
truthfully, i'm stuck.
fml

Never heard of anything like this before, it must be very difficult especially for teens. Maybe a diet change could help but there isn't always a cure for everything. With a rare condition it is hard to find a physician that knows what is going on. I think he is lucky to know you. Hope you can figure something out, maybe odor masking agents or something. If you find something that helps it could help other folks too. As always, beware of snake oil salesmen.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Over time, you may habituate to the odors, and perhaps would even miss it if it was to change. 

However, it seems to be a big issue for you now, while you remain dedicated to your friend.  Hopefully the friend will also consider it as an important issue.  I'd encourage first verifying that it is truly "real", and not just environmental.  Then, get a better description of the problem.  Is it truly fecal related?  Gas?  Underarm Odor?  Sweat?

Then follow up with your physician to get a good diagnosis.  Some of the descriptions suggested that it could be be related to GI problems, or an underlying metabolic disorder.  Diet may help.  But, just getting a good diagnosis may help with peace of mind, as well as directing dietary changes.

Once you start determining the source, if your physician doesn't know the answer, ask for a referral, perhaps to your local teaching hospital.

As far as talking to the parents.  It sounds like the two of you are close, so it may not hurt.  They may help you with information such as when it was first noticed (important part of the history), and prior medical evaluation/diagnosis.

If it can be improved, it may help your friend with other social and employment interactions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums