The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does Jean Claude van Damme do the splits?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline diverjohn

• View Profile
How Does Jean Claude van Damme do the splits?
« on: 02/12/2013 04:10:44 »
Watching the Youtube video for the new Volvo Trucks, one can't help but wonder how JCVD can do a perfect leg split. The majority of males find spreading one's legs apart 180 to be painful or impossible, yet some men do it. Most women have an easier time doing the split because their muscles are more elastic than those found in men, and I suspect the difference in shape of hip bones has something to do with it as well.
Any ideas on this?
« Last Edit: 02/12/2013 23:37:56 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: the Epic Split
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2013 05:03:08 »
The creators of the Volvo ad do admit JCVD was wearing a harness, which was CGI'd out.

If the harness was supporting his weight then the stunt wouldn't be quite so impressive.   

[ His mullet isn't real in the beer advert either :) ]
« Last Edit: 02/12/2013 08:07:19 by RD »

Offline diverjohn

• View Profile
Re: How Does Jean Claude van Damme do the splits?
« Reply #2 on: 03/12/2013 02:05:12 »
Regardless of guy-wires or harness, most men cannot spread their legs 180 in the coronal plane, while most women can do it with a little practice.
Back to my original question: what is it that makes the leg split easy for women and difficult for men?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/12/2013 04:34:08 »
A certain amount of openness may lead to greater reproductive success for women, whereas for men, the legs in the "splits" may be a position of with a lack of leverage, and thus weakness.

I can sit reasonably comfortably heal to heal with my knees on the ground (barefoot, or with socks on), although I suppose not everyone is able to do so.  But that would indicate to me that the splits wouldn't necessarily be an anatomical impossibility.  However, I've never been able to do the splits.  But, it would indicate that there are some tendons that need to be stretched.

Male (and female) Gymnasts, and Martial Arts experts may get adequate stretching to be able to get into the splits.

Jean-Claude Van Damme apparently started martial arts at age 10, and took ballet at age 16.  Perhaps it is easiest to achieve the flexibility to do the splits if one starts early.

There were two trucks.  The one on the right appeared to be a tractor trailer, whereas the one on the left wasn't.  Why is the cab clearance so tight for the tractor trailer?  Anyway, it would take some extreme precision driving to back both rigs up to maintain a precise separation between the cabs.  In fact, it might be much easier to drive forward, then run the video backwards, especially if there was a harness that could aid with lifting and stability for JCVD.

Offline diverjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/12/2013 21:49:07 »
I took martial arts (Ninjitsu) 10 years ago. As part of our warm up we were required to sit on the floor with legs straight ahead then bend forward so our chest touches our knees. After a minute we were to spread our legs apart as much as possible and bend forward again. There were two men in the class of 25 who could do this: one instructor who achieved it through practice, and one student who seemed "naturally gifted" with stretchy muscles.
As far as the Volvo trucks go, I too thought the stunt was done with trucks moving forward then the video reversed. However, if you watch JCVD's shirt you can see the breeze gently blowing at the fabric in such a way that supports the reverse direction. Secondly, observe the drivers and their co-pilots (co-drivers?) and they are watching their mirrors throughout. Based on this, I believe the trucks are truly demonstrating Volvo's new steering technology. For anyone unfamiliar with driving tractor-trailer units, driving in reverse on a highway is an easy way to send a vehicle out of control.
Back to the gist of my question: why do men have such a hard time doing the splits without lots of training?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 05/12/2013 21:49:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums