The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the UK have a first day of Christmas Shopping Season sale?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
In the USA, Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November.  The day after Thanksgiving is the official start of the Christmas Shopping season, often called "Black Friday". 

Stores tend to have some extraordinary sales the weekend following Thanksgiving.  Often they have a very limited number of items sold at below cost, for example selling 5 TVs at 50% off.  And, people line up outside of the stores for hours to get these door buster deals.

Of course, if one shows up, say an hour after the stores open, all the door buster deals are gone, but there are still some other sales.

Does the UK do the same thing?  Australia?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Strange you should ask Clifford.

We never did have anything of that ilk until this year. Black Friday suddenly popped up out of blue (or black) this year.

I do so hate the UK following US trends: '24/7', 'Monday thru Friday' and the like do so annoy me. We are ENGLISH, we speak ENGLISH, not American English. The correct terms are '24hrs a day, 7 days a week' and 'Monday to Friday'. Its what makes us different, and long may it be that way. Enjoy the difference. Where would we be without Fred & Ginger? Even though Fred was born in Omaha, Nebraska & Ginger in Independence, Missouri.

I've nothing against Americans or their language or ways, but we are British. Lets keep it that way.

Now, all that said, I am now going to go against my own feelings on this one time. It has always seemed to me that Christmas was getting earlier and earlier every year in so far as the shops were concerned. I began to wonder if there was some sort of competition to see which store could get the Christmas tree up and Christmas fayre on the shelves the soonest after the summer holidays. This Black Friday affair is a spiffing idea. Knock Christmas back into December. Yep, thisy here is one darn good Americanism I sure can live with.... Yee Harrrr!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Following Black Friday, we had Cyber Monday......... (sigh)
Not too sure, but it may have been Tumultuous Tuesday
And it is certainly Bed Linen Wednesday. Being the day of the week designated by 'She who will be obeyed' that the bed linen is changed.
What can we have tomorrow?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes,  they had "Cyber Monday" here too.  It is the first time I noticed it.  However, many of the online stores also had Black Friday sales, so "Cyber Monday" was kind of pointless. 

I suppose I find it interesting that the UK is copying the USA with the Black Friday.  Except, here it would be a holiday (no work) for just about anybody who is not working in the retail industry as the Thanksgiving holiday typically also has the following Friday off.

In the UK, I presume "Black Friday" is not a holiday, so the crowds would naturally be much smaller.  With that in mind, it would be far more appropriate to choose a Saturday (last Saturday in November, or first Saturday in December) for the official holiday season kickoff.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
The Irish Egg Marketing Board ran a great radio advert some years back. Bloke on a spoof phone-in says "so the medics say it's OK to eat an egg a day?" "That's right" "But there's only six in a box. Can we get rid of Tuesdays?"

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Well you can feel sorry for the US, since they don't have Boxing Day like Canada and the UK.

There were a surprising number of idioms I discovered when I moved to Canada. Hydro for electricity, T towel for dish cloth, serviette for napkin, tuque for knitted-wool-hat-that-you-wear-in-the-winter-time, zed for z. Double-Doubles, two-fours, poutine, Newfies, loonies and toonies. "Standing in a line up" means waiting in line in Canada, but in the States it means you've been arrested. In Canada, if you ask a strange man to jump you it apparently has nothing to do with car batteries.
« Last Edit: 17/12/2013 19:20:39 by cheryl j »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Well you can feel sorry for the US, since they don't have Boxing Day like Canada and the UK.

Oh, the day when (some) people traditionally run back to the stores to exchange their gifts for what they really wanted.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums