The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does ape and human intellect compare?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How does ape and human intellect compare?
« on: 07/12/2013 20:30:01 »
rob faraone asked the Naked Scientists:

Assume that, as with homo sapiens , the apes too can have genius in their midst, how close would a genius ape come to a retarded human in terms of self awareness, emotions, mental acuity?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 07/12/2013 20:30:01 by _system »

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How does ape and human intellect compare?
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2013 22:35:02 »
rob faraone asked the Naked Scientists:

Assume that, as with homo sapiens , the apes too can have genius in their midst, how close would a genius ape come to a retarded human in terms of self awareness, emotions, mental acuity?

What do you think?
Are we talking about my next door neighbor here? I've meet apes with more grey matter sandwiched between their ears!!!!!!!!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2013 22:53:25 »
apes ... mental acuity?

average chimp has better short term memory than a human ...

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2013 23:55:15 »
Human IQ can run the full gambit.

The lowest level might leave a person bedridden, incontinent, and unable to speak, read, or write.  However, if one is lacking an ability to express oneself, it is difficult to determine true abilities for complex thought.

Chimps have at least a rudimentary communication among themselves, and some have been taught sign languages, and symbolic languages.  Some dogs have learned to understand hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of words. 

It may be difficult to make true intelligence comparisons, but undoubtedly there would be some overlap at the low end of the intelligence scale.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2013 00:23:06 »
I have watched a gorilla carry out Galileo's famous "leaning tower" experiment in gravitation. With some important differences: (1) no gorilla ever built a tower without surveying the ground first (2) there is no evidence that Galileo actually did conduct the experiment and (3) no idiot gorilla in fancy dress threatened to excommunicate the gorilla for challenging his bogus authority.

There is very little evidence of intelligence among humans. We consistently outbreed our resources, and frequently hurt and kill each other for no good reason. We prolong the lives of the bedridden, incontinent and incommunicado, even against their wishes, and send our fittest and finest to war. Remarkably, they go off and fight for abstract and valueless notions of faith or patriotism. We deliberately ingest toxins and hallucinogens, and then try to stop others from doing so. I could go on...the list of human stupidity is endless, and pretty much unique in the animal kingdom.

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2013 01:06:37 »
Oh my (a couple more shots of whiskey)! I'm starting to like you very, very much Mr. Calverd. You remind me of myself in 20 years time.... How old are you? Are you a Druid?
« Last Edit: 08/12/2013 01:26:50 by Aemilius »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/12/2013 13:26:07 »
Human IQ can run the full gambit.

The lowest level might leave a person bedridden, incontinent, and unable to speak, read, or write. 
That's a reasonable description of Steven Hawking, and I wouldn't say his IQ is low.
Why conflate physical with mental ability?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/12/2013 17:25:07 »
You remind me of myself in 20 years time.... How old are you? Are you a Druid?

Just 10 years older than you, but it was an interesting 10 years! Don't get me started on druids. Stonehenge was a fairground, nothing more or less.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/12/2013 17:33:15 »
Why conflate physical with mental ability?

That's why I qualified my statement on prolonging life with "against their wishes". But I'm in favour in principle of aborting a seriously disabled fetus. The problem is deciding "seriously". And away we go, agonising over one life whilst killing thousands of perfectly healthy adults for no good reason whatever. Where's the rational and profitable use of information - or is there some other definition of intelligence? 

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09/12/2013 00:16:25 »
Speaking of the young, why do we instinctively like puppies, kittens, and even baby alligators, none of which look remotely like humans? Would anyone buy a box of chocolates or a calendar with a naked child on the front?

I think we instinctively dislike our own species.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09/12/2013 04:27:14 »
I've read articles about things orangutans do in order to escape from zoos.  They've constructed a ladder out of fallen branches, distracted zoo keepers while another orangutan was attempting to pry open the molding between two glass panels. They've also cooperated by holding a mop handle in place to assist anothers escape. 

They've pretended not to notice dropped tools and later hidden them and used them to dismantle their cage. In response to their secretive behavior zoo employees would "disguise themselves as visitors. They would dress up in blue jeans, sunglasses, and a Hawaiian shirt, and watch from afar to see if they could spot anything unusual happening. The zoo eventually began utilizing two spies at the once, as it was certain that Ken (an orangutan) was recognizing its informants."

Fu Manchu at the Omaha Zoo would employ a thin piece of metal wiring, which he kept hidden in his mouth, to pick open his cage lock.

The weirdest examples involve electric fences. One orangutan waited until repairs were being performed on the moat’s water pump and the electricity was turned off and then  used the opportunity to flee. Another orangutan learned to recognize the slight buzzing noise given off by an electronic gate when it opened and closed. On those rare occasions when the door did malfunctioned, he would head straight for it and walk out.
But even more impressive, a orangutan learned how to ground a hot wire, using  sticks and pieces of wood and then pulling herself up by using the porcelain insulators on the wire as hand-holds.

« Last Edit: 09/12/2013 04:30:34 by cheryl j »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14/12/2013 01:24:20 »
Ok,
It looks like this topic has moved astray a bit.

I've split off the topic:  How does the military and war reflect on human intellect?

Please continue military discussion, and stupid things humans do in the new topic.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 14/12/2013 01:24:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums