The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does an unpleasant sight lead to feelings of nausea?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline AhihaCat

• First timers
    • View Profile
This may sound like a dumb question... :P but why when you see something unpleasant, such as blood or a really creepy bug do you feel nauseated?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why does an unpleasant sight lead to feelings of nausea?
« Reply #1 on: 11/12/2013 00:32:18 »
This may sound like a dumb question... :P but why when you see something unpleasant, such as blood or a really creepy bug do you feel nauseated?
I don't think this reaction is universal but there are people who respond that way. Personally, the simple viewing of unpleasant objects doesn't influence  me like that. I believe it may have something to do with our formative years and the environmental stimuli we deal with as very young children.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2013 02:24:56 »
I think these innate reflexes which some people have inherited, rather than created via conditioning.
There is natural selection for reflexes which increase your chance of survival.

The sight/smell of blood triggers vasoconstriction in some people  : they go white and faint.
If the blood is theirs this reflex could save their life by preventing them bleeding to death.
Also "playing dead" by fainting may also increase their of survival.

Similarly the sight/sound/smell of someone vomiting can trigger vomiting in others
if they'd eaten the same toxic food that reflex could save their life.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2013 02:24:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums