The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: psychic powers?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
psychic powers?
« on: 11/12/2013 00:41:47 »
                                             PSYCHIC POWERS

Are we getting close to having psychic powers? This guy seems to think so

I personally think they are going about reading thoughts the wrong way (at least for practical reasons)
I do believe that EEG and stemoseiver work dose improve our understanding of the brain but I May have come up with a much simpler way to read thoughts that has very little to do with the brain.

Have you ever noticed that your tongue moves when your thinking about something? go ahead and give it a thought i mean shot. Think about words, think for example "how are you doing today" and allow your tongue to move around in your mouth, you'll notice that your tongue moves in the same way as if you were actually saying something, the only differance is that you don't vibrate your larynx or open your mouth.

I was wondering if there was some way to use this natural movement of the tongue to psychically communicate. Imagine 6 small neodymium balls and connect them through your tongue like tongue piercings
but without actually piercing your tongue a bit like this fellow.

now imagine a ring around your head (like a crown) with coils of wire around it and as you move your tongue wile thinking it moves the magnets in your mouth as to induce a small current in the coils on the crown (to make a signal) which will be amplified by a transistor circuit then be interpenetrated by a small computer like an Ipod nano 6 (which would convert the signal into audio) and that's it. Merely magnets and coils.

The tongue is only about 4 or 5 inches away from the forehead, induction could make a few Milli volts in the coils on the forehead, just enough to make a weak signal. to be amplified. IDK if it would work though, that's why I posted this here, to get a second opinion from you guys, so rely please.

Imagine an ultrasonic interference speaker (sound beam speaker) on the front of the crown, you would just have to move your tongue around to say something through the sound beam then bam pseudo psychic communication.

or you could use that new Iphone nano 6 (the new watch phone) instead of the ipod nano to psychically communicate to others on the phone.

or you could move your tongue around to turn something on or off. just think of "lights on" and allow your tongue to move around then bam psychically control machinery.

or give a voice to someone who cant speak, like a mute person.

or instead of a crown, you could wire up sensors on a grill

I keep saying "psychic" but in reality it's just tongue control or pseudo psychic control. It would essentially do the same thing as EEG control but it's a much simpler method of doing so. What do ya'll think comment and rely below.

I also found this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25118896

I also wonder if a mini theremin could be useful as a magnetic sensor. you know that magnetic music instrument that you don't ave to touch in-order to play which picks up on weak magnetic fields such as the human bodies magnetic field.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2013 01:51:35 by ScientificSorcerer »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: psychic powers?
« Reply #1 on: 11/12/2013 02:39:22 »
I keep saying "psychic" but in reality it's just tongue control or pseudo psychic control. It would essentially do the same thing as EEG control but it's a much simpler method of doing so. What do ya'll think comment and rely below.

I also found this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25118896

The tounge can be used as a sensor as well as an actuator ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13358608

I also wonder if a mini theremin could be useful as a magnetic sensor. you know that magnetic music instrument that you don't ave to touch in-order to play which picks up on weak magnetic fields such as the human bodies magnetic field.

Theramins definitely don't use magnetism, IIRC it's capacitive sensing : the person changing their position between two electrodes alters the capacitance which determines the pitch of the sound-generating oscillator.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2013 05:49:48 by RD »

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2013 07:01:52 »
Yeah I looked into the theremin and your right, it has almost nothing to do with magnetism, when I posted I just assumed, I honestly know nothing about the theremin my bad.   :P

But other then that, what sort of method do you propose to track the motion of the tongue? for this purpose

the brain port is cool and all but it's not quite what I'm talking about, I can't imagine a way to capture the motion of the tongue as to mimic the sound it would have made if you were using your larynx (short of magnetic resonance imaging or x rays) I can't think of anything for my application. the mouth is quite small if you think about it, you can't put too many electronics in there. Is there a way to use magnets to relay a signal? like the way I described or is that none sense? is this whole idea possible? one way or the other

I'm stumped :(
« Last Edit: 11/12/2013 07:49:12 by ScientificSorcerer »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/12/2013 07:48:38 »
You could try external electromyography. Measure the voltages developed around the exterior of the jaw when you move your tongue. A four- or six-point trace should give you plenty of voluntarily controlled variables.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/12/2013 08:16:53 »
You could try external electromyography

Now that's what I'm talking about. this bio feedback signal is exactly what I was looking for. thank you alancalverd

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/12/2013 09:44:43 »
I think Stephen Hawking uses eye-tracking ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_tracking
which can be done optically or electrically.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 11/12/2013 09:44:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums