The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is time dilation additive or subtractive in overlapping gravitational fields?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
If we have two large masses near to each other and a smaller mass between them would the effect of time dilation increase, decrease or stay the same in the two overlapping fields as opposed to being in a zero gravity field?

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Quote from: jeffreyH
If we have two large masses near to each other and a smaller mass between them would the effect of time dilation increase, decrease or stay the same in the two overlapping fields as opposed to being in a zero gravity field?
I can't picture this so let me describe what I have in mind. At x = L there is a massive star and at x = -L there is an identical star. At x = 0 there's a small moon. Then the effects would add but not linearly. But I don't see what roll the third small body brings to this question so why mention it at all?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Quote from: jeffreyH
I can't picture this so let me describe what I have in mind. At x = L there is a massive star and at x = -L there is an identical star. At x = 0 there's a small moon. Then the effects would add but not linearly. But I don't see what roll the third small body brings to this question so why mention it at all?

Hi Pete

The small body would have its own gravitation and I was wanting to know the combined effect from the other sources of gravitation on it. I am investigating the possible effects on momentum and rotation of orbiting bodies of time dilation. I am also looking for any articles on the effects of time dilation at the quantum level.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
The following proposed experiment is of significant interest.

http://fqxi.org/community/articles/display/172

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums