The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the arctic doing?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
What is the arctic doing?
« on: 14/12/2013 13:01:25 »
A nice ice 'mapping', made from old and new observations.
Go there and take a look.

"The animation is drawn from the Danish Meteorological Instituteís sea ice maps for August in each year from 1920 to 1939.  The red marks show actual records of ice conditions and the white area is the inferred ice extent. The last image is the US National Snow and Ice Data Centerís satellite-derived sea ice concentration image for August 2012." from More on northern sea ice.

and Arctic sea ice minimum in 2013 is 6th-lowest on record.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is the arctic doing?
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2013 10:11:18 »
Re:   What is the arctic doing?

I think it fell to the bottom of the planet!!!!
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.recent.antarctic.png

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/12/2013 12:04:46 »
Very nice site Clifford :)

A lot of the old ice are gone now, that ice that 'never disappeared', but just got built on every winter. And the storms are getting worse everywhere, in Sweden too. It's too early to speak about it statistically and it can be a short time fluke, but I don't think it is. I think what we see is new cycles, going up and then down, spiraling us into worse storms every time time it will go up, until? The arctic is gone maybe??
==

Btw: In my own opinion it will also include worse flooding, droughts, marine life migrating, and disappearing, including most food fish we have, reefs dying, oxygen from plankton and ocean acidity. And we won't see any light in the tunnel for at least a century, probably more, from the day we stop digging for coal/oil/Natural gas (methane) based energy. And it will either be the end of the idiotic systems we have, using a truly free Internet for shaping a real democracy, or it will take us back to medieval times, in where we will meet wars, including 'strong men' (as 'representative politicians' for west) with 'visions' :)

I'm so tired of them.
« Last Edit: 15/12/2013 12:20:11 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 15/12/2013 12:04:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums