The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What if we were in a special place in the universe?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Fluid_thinker

• View Profile
If we were in a special place in the universe, where the density was much lower.

(Even with in our observable universe there are 'voids'. Why could we not be in a larger more universal void).

Wouldnt our measurements of things like Supernovae type 1a be incorrect due to the lower density.

The acceleration of the universe is attributed to a small difference of the expected versus observed results of type 1a's.

If this was the case, (which whilst low in probability, it is still prossible), then exotic matter/energy would cease to be the elusive cause of the accelerating universe.

Or am I being dumb?

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Re: What if we were in a special place in the universe?
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2013 16:49:59 »
Quote from: Fluid_thinker
If we were in a special place in the universe, where the density was much lower.
Every place in the universe is different than every other place. It's only on a very grand humoungous scale is the universe homogeneos.
Quote from: Fluid_thinker
(Even with in our observable universe there are 'voids'. Why could we not be in a larger more universal void).
I'm sorry but there's no way to answer questions such as "Why can't it be that way...."

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2013 19:32:09 »
I have often wondered If what we regard as "laws" for the whole universe can be the same for inter galactic space as for the region where we have established them we being immersed in a sea of dark matter.

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2013 22:36:28 »
If anyone has access to New Scientist, 15.11.2008, Marcus Chown's article, "Our Special Place" is worth a read. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to it.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #4 on: 18/12/2013 03:06:30 »
I have often wondered If what we regard as "laws" for the whole universe can be the same for inter galactic space as for the region where we have established them we being immersed in a sea of dark matter.
Scientists do seriously consider models of the universe where the constants of nature vary from place to place and even when the laws change from place to place.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/12/2013 15:46:31 »
If anyone has access to New Scientist, 15.11.2008, Marcus Chown's article, "Our Special Place" is worth a read. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to it.
I have access, but the only relevant-looking article near that date is, "Is Earth at the heart of a giant cosmic void?" by Marcus Chown from 12 November 2008 (issue 2682).

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/12/2013 20:23:37 »
That could be the article, dlorde, it sounds right.  It's just possible I still have the original somewhere in the loft, but it's cold up there.  :(

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 18/12/2013 20:23:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length