The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can automated systems speed up healthcare?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can automated systems speed up healthcare?
« on: 18/12/2013 13:32:57 »
Can automated systems detect when hospital patients are showing worrying signs?

Read the whole story on our website by clicking here

or Listen to the Story or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 18/12/2013 13:32:57 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can automated systems speed up healthcare?
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2013 09:38:11 »
Most hospitals have a central display with EKG, Blood Oxygenation, Pulse, Breathing Rate,  BP, etc at the nurses station.  And, I assume they can set custom alarms for each patient.  It would be nice to actually have some of the history electronically recorded (100% of the history???) and automatic charting.  Of course, one would have to detect things like loose connections, and differentiate them from missed heart beats.

One of the issues with hospitals is that while patients may be kept in bed for extended periods, the hospitals are often not very restful, both with intrusive equipment, and nurses frequently coming past to take vitals.

Our local hospital has a new system of periodic adjusting air mattresses to automatically shift weight to prevent bedsores.  I never slept on it, but when my grandmother was in the hospital with advanced dementia, it would wake her up and scare the bejesus out of her a few times an hour.

Anyway, one may be able to habituate to a few extra wires and hoses sticking out of oneself.  However, change such as a blood pressure cuff, or a shifting bed can be disturbing, and should be kept in mind when designing a high tech bed, especially for when patients should be sleeping at night.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/12/2013 19:20:25 »
About 30 years ago I attended an excellent lecture by a guy who had built an intelligent baby alarm based on a BBC Micro computer, and developed it into a neural network for intensive care monitoring.

The trick was to measure any and every parameter available, and to sound an alarm if the machine didn't recognise the combination as "normal". An experienced nurse would reset the alarm if she considered the patient's condition as not requiring intervention, and the computer gradually acquired a multidimensional envelope of normalcy. Thus the alarm frequency quickly decreased to the point at which the computer behaved like an experienced nurse and only called for help when things went awry, but never got tired, inattentive, or distracted by other duties, and didn't make handover mistakes - in fact it could eliminate the need for shift handovers because it knew the multiparameter limits for every patient all the time.

Alas, I've never seen it on a ward.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/12/2013 19:20:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums