The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How is the pressure monitored in racing car tyres?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Do they have internal pressure gauges and "Bluetooth" transmitters?
« Last Edit: 23/12/2013 09:24:32 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How is the pressure monitered in racing car tyres
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2013 20:25:35 »
It looks like tire pressure monitoring systems are now being mandated on all new cars.  Many of the retrofitting systems are apparently little battery powered radio transmitters that fit into the valve stems.

It doesn't say the frequency.

Ahh, here's another Wikipedia article indicating that at least the passenger car tire pressure monitoring systems run with UHF at about 315 MHZ or 434 MHZ.  Each wheel gets a unique signal identifier (digital?). 

Bluetooth apparently runs in the ISM band from 24002480 MHz

It sounds like these pressure sensors are battery powered.  I wonder how long until they design an automatic recharging system somewhat like some high-end watches.

How long do the batteries last?  Can they be changed without removing the tire?
Hmmm, in a wise move, replacing the batteries requires replacing the entire sensor unit at about $40 each, I think, plus labor. 

It would seem like they could make a ring shaped user replaceable battery that would fit over the valve stem.

Hopefully there will be a manual that explains to a consumer what to do when changing snow tires and road tires.  And, I assume the racers have a method to update the sensors in the 10 seconds it takes to change a tire during a race.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/12/2013 22:17:06 »
I am sure their would be heads to roll if the wheel changing crew at a F1 event took 10 seconds, the wheels are normally changed and the car away in 3 !
Thanks for the information.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/12/2013 22:17:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums