The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gravity does not exist  (Read 2182 times)

Offline greywolfe

• View Profile
    • Clear Understanding
Gravity does not exist
« on: 31/12/2013 15:42:45 »
The illusion that gravity is a force is created by the presence of mass. The presence of mass (lets say a planet in a vaccuum) , compresses the space-time around it giving the impression of force when the apparent  geometric position of an object entering that field is relocated to the new location of that point in space.   

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity does not exist
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2014 00:10:15 »
The illusion that gravity is a force is created by the presence of mass. The presence of mass (lets say a planet in a vaccuum) , compresses the space-time around it giving the impression of force when the apparent  geometric position of an object entering that field is relocated to the new location of that point in space.   
This question boils down to how one defines a force. In Newtonian Physics, gravity is defined as a force. In Einstein's general theory, gravity is the bending, or as some have defined it, the compression of space/time. Either way, the influence of gravity upon space/time results in observable consequences resembling a force. If one wants to quibble over the definition, they'll need to redefine exactly what the underlying characteristics are when they use the term "force".

Now to the question about the existence of gravity. Merely claiming that gravity doesn't exist requires that we ignore it's effects. Since we can't logically do that, maybe we need to redefine the word or simply call it something else. Having said that, what term would fit more appropriately to your particular explanation for the effects we now call gravity?

Fill in the blank: _________ is responsible for the physical observations we presently, incorrectly, refer to as gravity.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2014 00:40:39 »
If you had two non-moving objects in space (of course, very little truly doesn't move).

But, you can have 2 objects relative to each other.  For example I could hold a weight in the air.

When I release the weight, it tends to fall towards Earth.

Does your theory account for this tendency to for non-moving objects to start to move towards each other?

However, in many senses, your theory is similar to the "rubber sheet" theory of gravity. 

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2014 00:16:06 »
If you had two non-moving objects in space (of course, very little truly doesn't move).

But, you can have 2 objects relative to each other.  For example I could hold a weight in the air.

When I release the weight, it tends to fall towards Earth.

Does your theory account for this tendency to for non-moving objects to start to move towards each other?

However, in many senses, your theory is similar to the "rubber sheet" theory of gravity.

The stationary object is simply tending to move to a position that gives it a lower energy state. A compressed space has a lower energy state.

Offline roconi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/01/2014 04:26:33 »
I like your explanation of how gravity works. It sort of compliments my example of how I think gravity works, check it out on youtube at 

Let me know what you think of my explanation.        (Roconi)
« Last Edit: 27/01/2014 04:31:59 by roconi »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2014 07:39:16 »
Newton defines force as mass x acceleration. So if you see a mass accelerating you must infer a force. By experiment we discover that the force between massive bodies is given by F =  Gm1m2/r2 so any model of gravitation must predict this behaviour in order to be a useful hypothesis.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2014 07:39:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums